Scout7000

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
Hi all.
Purchased a S7 edge just two weeks ago and very happy with it being my first 'flagship' model of phone.
Have the white version on UK's BT network.
A couple of points below and I apologise in advance if answered below but there seems to be a huge amount of info here to look through;

FREEZING
My phone seems to do this rather a lot for a brand new high end bit of kit. Do the power button and volume key reset but it's getting annoying. Seems to occur most within Google Chrome.

CASE
I admit, this is one damn sexy looking phone and in particular in white in my opinion. But I need a cover/case because sooner or later the inevitable is going to happen. What do you recommend for a white version but still shows off its great appearance.

WALLPAPER/THEME
I have downloaded various themes and wallpapers but never happy with them. I am currently on the stock blue/black 7 silhouette theme as it seems to look the best. Any recommendations?

ADD ONS
Is the VR Headset worth the outlay or is it just a 10min novelty?

Thanks for reading and I apologise again for repeating questions. I hope to become an active member of the forum.

Cheers,
Scott.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I use the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge in Black Onyx purchased from the Samsung Experience Store. The customisation of this device is off the chart. I'm still tweaking it.. lol. I come from iPhones so this is truly a breath of fresh air.

In regards to freezing have you tried clearing the system cache and checked your on the most recent firmware.

I use the Original Black Leather Case from Samsung. £40. Good quality, excellent workmanship, minimalist, adds grip but not lots of protection from a drop.

IMG_0800.JPG

I use Dark Themes. Saves on Battery too. I purchased the SB theme from the theme store.
I choose to use TouchWizz but some like options such as Nova Launcher.

Regarding Vr.

Try and find a shop with a working demo model and give it a go. I'm confident you'll be blown away. I just missed out by two days to claim a free oculus Samsung one. :( They can be picked up for 2nd hand for about £50 or the newer recent ones are pricey. Carfone Warehouse have introduced a cheaper option for £39.99 or Google have the Google cardboard options.

I also purchased the Samsung Wireless Fast Charging Stand from the Samsung Store. £45 but worth it. I also have a wireless pad for my bedroom.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Seriously? Not a flagship? Troll.
Not trying to troll. I am admittedly frustrated and typing this on a 7Se coming from the Note 7. The Note 7 was the flagship and now it's gone. This does not feel like a flagship after using the 7. It feels like a support ship. Sorry to offend anyone.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
What's your opinion on the case?

The case is great, it makes the phone feel secure in my hand and you can hardly tell it's got a case on, allowing the beauty of the phone to shine through, a bit overboard I know but you get my drift. No point in getting a nice phone then hiding it.
The raised top and bottom allow me to place it face down without worrrying about scratches.

I don't use this case with a screen protector but I'm always careful not to place my phone in my pocket with anything else.

Last edited:

Scout7000

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
To go back to my initial post.... Help! Even now with the default browser reading this forum I have had to do a soft reset due to phone completely locking up. I have only had it three weeks now and it's getting highly annoying. Everyday at least three times my phone freezes. Do not find this acceptable one little bit.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
To go back to my initial post.... Help! Even now with the default browser reading this forum I have had to do a soft reset due to phone completely locking up. I have only had it three weeks now and it's getting highly annoying. Everyday at least three times my phone freezes. Do not find this acceptable one little bit.

I would do a factory data reset, yea it wipes out everything but at least it's back to stock and you can see if your problems is gone. If it's still happening with it stock then see about exchanging it. Load only the apps you need to use and see how it goes for a day or two.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
There is a painless way to check for a rogue app or setting before you do the factory data reset (FDR) and have to reload your phone. You can try booting the phone into safe mode before doing the FDR. Safe mode loads the phone with just the basic Android apps like it came from the box, and using factory default settings. You won't lose any of your network settings, and it doesn't delete any of your apps. If your issue goes away, then it's an app or a setting because those don't get loaded with safe mode. If the problem persists, then the FDR or ultimately a device replacement may be in order.

Another thing to consider is clearing the application cache. That's the part of the memory where the apps temporarily store their data while running. Think of like a temp folder in Windows. Sometimes, it doesn't clear itself and the device gets more sluggish as the cache fills -- this can happen with a rogue app along with adding and dumping apps. A clean cache can make a big difference. My wife's Note 4 was visibly slowing daily and had her mail and messaging apps stopping. When I checked the cache, it had 2.87GB of data stuffed into it. After clearing it, the device ran great. Until she dropped it last week. New Note 5 on the way.

Last edited:

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Not trying to troll. I am admittedly frustrated and typing this on a 7Se coming from the Note 7. The Note 7 was the flagship and now it's gone. This does not feel like a flagship after using the 7. It feels like a support ship. Sorry to offend anyone.

Fair enough. I can relate to what you are saying. The S7 edge is a nice enough phone, but it isn't a Note 7. I think I'm going to return mine and get the V20 to use until Samsung releases the successor to the Note next fall.

AdamHLG

Trusted Member
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. I can relate to what you are saying. The S7 edge is a nice enough phone, but it isn't a Note 7. I think I'm going to return mine and get the V20 to use until Samsung releases the successor to the Note next fall.
This is exactly what I did. I returned the S7 edge not because it wasn't a fine phone, but it just didn't feel right in my hand. It was that simple. I'm back on my old Note 5 and I'm waiting for the V20 as well. And if I don't like that one either within the 14 day window, that will go back as well. What I'm learning about myself is that the feel of the phone in my hand is a compelling aspect of what I like. That said, I hope I like the V20.

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
This is exactly what I did. I returned the S7 edge not because it wasn't a fine phone, but it just didn't feel right in my hand. It was that simple. I'm back on my old Note 5 and I'm waiting for the V20 as well. And if I don't like that one either within the 14 day window, that will go back as well. What I'm learning about myself is that the feel of the phone in my hand is a compelling aspect of what I like. That said, I hope I like the V20.

Sadly, I sold both my Note 5 and Nexus 6P when I bought the Note 7. It was so good I didn't need them anymore :( I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 I'll use until the V20 is released next Friday. I played with one at the local AT&T store. Nice but also not a Note 7. But at least it is new and different.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I've had my SG7E for just over two weeks and haven't experienced any freezing.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Note 7 was a flagship but it's dead. I buried mine yesterday and got S7E which is indeed a current Samsung flagship.
Considering that the internals are exactly the same, with the Note just getting a few software bells which Samsung already announced even before the first recall that would be coming to the S7 phones, the difference appears just Pen deep.