Image go back to landscape when copied onto computer

Dorian Watts

May 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,

I have an S7 Edge, and whenever I take photos their orientation shows up fine on the phone (portrait or landscape) but when I transfer the files onto a computer or USB stick they are all in landscape format and I have to rotate the portrait ones myself on the computer.

Is there a way to transfer photos and retain the orientation data that displays on my phone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dorian

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Phone cameras tag landscape photos as "0" or "180" degrees orientation in the exif data... depending on how you hold the phone when you snap the photo. And, as "90" or "270" degrees for portrait photos... again, depending on how you hold the phone. Computers want to display photos at "0" degrees orientation. So if you feed it a photo that has 90 or 270 degree exif data (portrait photo), the computer will rotate it to landscape (which is 0 degrees).

The only way to avoid this is to...
1) edit the exif data of each portrait photo on your phone before you move the files to the PC.
2) use a PC program that's smart enough to auto-flip photos and display them, independent of exif data.
3) continue as you're doing and rotate them manually.

There might be a 4th option... and that's a camera app that automatically sets orientation exif data to "0" no matter how you hold the phone... I personally don't know of one that does that.

Last edited:

Moonboss

Feb 23, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the same issue with my Galaxy S6 (Verizon).

I don't mean to hijack, but my issue is very much related even though I have a bit more detail to discuss and issues beyond just the camera. I think one plays into the other, and perhaps there is an underlying issue...

Whenever I send photos in text or copy to PC, the photos rotate 90 degrees - this seems to be an added feature since the latest update that added the Message+ with Kanvas.
It was not always this way, and I would like to know what to do about it, and what caused it.
Since I have a new baby, and I take a ton of pictures. HIGHLY ANNOYING, UNNECESSARY, AND INCONVENIENT.

I have tried modifying and deleting the Exif info to correct this, but that did not work either. I attempted to delete the Orientation data in the Exif using "Photo Exif Editor (free)" found in the Google Play store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci