02-21-2017 08:12 AM
274 ... 7891011
tools
    I think I solved the Starbucks Samsung pay issue that many people are having. The other morning I decided to try my phone again at their little card terminal. I held it sideways over the top of the terminal screen and it went right through (I was using note 5 at the time but it probably works with 7edge too) Here's a picture of the terminal at our local store.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...aea3604682.jpg
    It worked. I didn't have to turn it sideways though. I just had to keep the phone on top until the check mark came up. ๐ŸŽ‰๐ŸŽŠ
    amyf27 likes this.
    01-02-2017 06:12 PM
    Gotta admit, it's kind of fun using the phone to pay for stuff. This is the first time I've used it in a month tonight so I missed out on the 4X points offer but I'll be using it more often.
    amyf27 likes this.
    01-03-2017 01:47 AM
    Works at Home Depot. Here's our local old style terminal
    01-03-2017 04:59 AM
    It won't work at a pump when the card slides in because of the location of the reader- I've tried lol. At any of the gas station terminals inside- Country Fair, Sheetz, BP, etc
    Sure it will, there was a trick posted very early that i have used. Take any card you have without a magnetic stripe and insert into the card reader. Then fire up your Samsung Pay and while it's still vibrating or pulsing, hold it very close to where you pull out the card and it works. For these gas pump readers to work you have to insert some card to trigger the magnetic head to start to sense. Of course, most newer gas pumps have a contact less reader on the pump itself. On those, the very first thing you need to do is fire up your Samsung pay and hold your phone right next to the reader prior to even selecting grade of fuel.

On another note, I'm a bit disappointed as i just redeemed 5000 points for a rewards debit card that failed to load on my phone either via wifi or 4g cellular (got confirmation email though). Used the "more" option to "add rewards card" and getting the dreaded " Unable to add Rewards card. Contact customer service" message. I am now dealing with Samsung Pay customer support to resolve with no ETA.

Sucks.
    01-04-2017 12:06 AM
    Has anyone ever had an issue where they used Samsung Pay at a retailer and it went through successfully but no notification came through or reward points credited to your SP account??

Happened to me twice, once at a 7-11 and over the weekend at a supermarket? Don't know why I didn't receive a notification or my reward points but it shows in my bank account. Any ideas?
    01-04-2017 07:38 AM
    Sure it will, there was a trick posted very early that i have used. Take any card you have without a magnetic stripe and insert into the card reader. Then fire up your Samsung Pay and while it's still vibrating or pulsing, hold it very close to where you pull out the card and it works. For these gas pump readers to work you have to insert some card to trigger the magnetic head to start to sense. Of course, most newer gas pumps have a contact less reader on the pump itself. On those, the very first thing you need to do is fire up your Samsung pay and hold your phone right next to the reader prior to even selecting grade of fuel.

On another note, I'm a bit disappointed as i just redeemed 5000 points for a rewards debit card that failed to load on my phone either via wifi or 4g cellular (got confirmation email though). Used the "more" option to "add rewards card" and getting the dreaded " Unable to add Rewards card. Contact customer service" message. I am now dealing with Samsung Pay customer support to resolve with no ETA.

Sucks.
    I don't want to monkey around with sticking cards in the slot lol. Around here we have plenty of newer pumps but not many are marked for contact less ๐Ÿ˜. I don't mind running in to pay with my phone though.
    01-04-2017 07:59 AM
    Has anyone ever had an issue where they used Samsung Pay at a retailer and it went through successfully but no notification came through or reward points credited to your SP account??

Happened to me twice, once at a 7-11 and over the weekend at a supermarket? Don't know why I didn't receive a notification or my reward points but it shows in my bank account. Any ideas?
    Yes this happened to me twice. One notification I received 3 or 4 hours after the transaction. The second time the notification popped up about 3 days later. Had the correct date & time of the transaction just came days later. The other transactions I made that day popped up immediately after payment was made so this was the only one that did this.
    01-04-2017 09:27 AM
    I find Samsung Pay works at fewer and fewer places for me, if it's a reader that takes "chipped" cards, Samsung Pay fails, very annoying
    01-04-2017 10:18 AM
    I find Samsung Pay works at fewer and fewer places for me, if it's a reader that takes "chipped" cards, Samsung Pay fails, very annoying
    When you attempt to use it, has the cashier gotten the order to the screen it needs to be at where you would typically slide a card? It literally works everywhere here for me. I do have to ask and make sure they're at the right screen on their monitors like the other day at Subway it didn't work, but then I found the cashier didn't hit the right button once he did, it went right through. What places are you trying it at?
    01-04-2017 12:43 PM
    I use at King Soopers in the self checkout lane and it always works. They have the terminal that reads chipped cards. I just get watched by the employee monitoring the booth as if I'm trying to steal. Once she sees the receipt print up, she walks away. I'm guessing not too many people pay yet with their phones there.
    01-04-2017 12:55 PM
    Mine as well. I've paid at various stores with chip readers and plenty without. Often times it is a cashier error or how you hold the phone and how long it's held at a position. Can possibly be affected as well by the case
    01-04-2017 01:12 PM
    The Starbucks phone app is great and you can reload through PayPal or whatever. Reloading takes literally 30 seconds. I use samsung pay just about everywhere I can, but starbucks rewards are not bad (free food, drinks, etc). It's as easy to use as samsung pay at starbucks.
    amyf27 likes this.
    01-04-2017 01:24 PM
    Only place I've had problems is the Subway sandwich shop.
    01-04-2017 03:16 PM
    Only place I've had problems is the Subway sandwich shop.
    I'm willing to bet the trouble you had 2as the cashier. Didn't work for me, then the cashier was shown by another to do something on their screen for credit card purchase, then it worked.
    01-04-2017 03:34 PM
    I use it here in Tucson at "chipped" card readers all the time, without error, and a wide variety of merchants.
    amyf27 and Serkle K like this.
    01-04-2017 03:41 PM
    In Europe and Asia, EMV chips have been in use longer than here in the US. I know that EMV has been in use in South Korea for several years already. I'm sure Samsung being a South Korean company has figured this out and incorporated Samsung Pay to work with EMV card terminals
    01-04-2017 04:56 PM
    Tried at CVS pharmacy today. My phone showed the check mark and beeped like it went through but the store terminal beeped and said payment not supported try again by swipping the card. After the second attempt , i just used the chip card. not sure what it was.
    Only thing i can think of is, after i left i realized i put the phone on top of their reader where the tap tp pay sticker was. I think they have that turned off because they said they dont accept tap to pay there yet. I bet if i woulda used my phone by the card slider it woulda went through as NFC ? If i understand how this works exactly.
    01-04-2017 08:52 PM
    Tried at CVS pharmacy today. My phone showed the check mark and beeped like it went through but the store terminal beeped and said payment not supported try again by swipping the card. After the second attempt , i just used the chip card. not sure what it was.
    Only thing i can think of is, after i left i realized i put the phone on top of their reader where the tap tp pay sticker was. I think they have that turned off because they said they dont accept tap to pay there yet. I bet if i woulda used my phone by the card slider it woulda went through as NFC ? If i understand how this works exactly.
    It works at my cvs and their tap and pay is shut off. I hold it by the card slider
    01-04-2017 09:10 PM
    It works at my cvs and their tap and pay is shut off. I hold it by the card slider
    That's good to hear. I thought CVS shut it off as they using CVS pay. I'll have to try it. Thanks.
    01-04-2017 11:33 PM
    That's good to hear. I thought CVS shut it off as they using CVS pay. I'll have to try it. Thanks.
    Best rule of thumb is to hold it by the card swiper area first. Typically works without fail.
    01-05-2017 12:12 PM
    I love Samsung pay! I use it as much as I can. I didn't realize that at some places, where it was declining every time, that instead of trying to put my pin number in, I hit credit and bam! it worked! Also, the rewards progrm is great! I used my points and I actually won the wireless fast charger!
    amyf27 likes this.
    01-05-2017 08:43 PM
    next time make sure when the screen pops up for your pin, don't put your pin in, make sure you run it as credit. I think I figured that if you try to put your pin in it doesn't work, because that pin is for your card, not the card the Samsung pay is attached to.
    01-05-2017 08:50 PM
    I used it at a Family Dollar store today. I received a card error three times so I moved it to the top of the reader to use NFC & received the card error again. I knew it had to work because I have used it in that same store and other Family Dollar stores. On the 5th try I moved my phone up a little more on the card swipe & it went through. LOL...I'm learning to not give up. Majority of the time if I get an error it is usually the cashier or my fault.
    01-05-2017 09:55 PM
    another first today, i was asked for the 3 digit security code on the back. I see the (generated) last 4 digits but wasnt sure if i should have just used the 3 digit code on back of card or where to look. It was at a Loves truckstop and they always ask for the 3 number code on the back when i use my regular card too.
    01-05-2017 10:13 PM
    That is true - CVS doesn't support any tap and pay since they use their own app, so the only "contactless" pay option you have there (other than their app) is Samsung Pay since it would work with their magnetic card reader. Samsung Pay is great.
    01-05-2017 11:38 PM
274 ... 7891011