Samsung pay thread part II

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I originally made a thread on the Note 7 forum back when I first got my Note, that Samsung pay wasn't working reliably. I decided to try it again, and so here is an update for you, as it pertains to the S7 Edge.

Anyway, I had to trade in my beloved Note 7 for an S7 Edge. Because of that, Samsung was offering additional promotions for me to use it on the new phone. I also saw on here, where a guy posted his code that allows everyone that enters the code $5, and he would get $5. Figured what the hell. I'll give it a shot. I chose credit for a purchase, and the thing worked without a problem, and I instantly got $15 added to my account.

Later on that same day, I tried it at Safeway. This is a store where Samsung pay did not work the last time I tried it. They recently updated their terminals to accept chip cards, so I figured I'd try it. Interestingly, it forced me to do debit, but it worked!

So, it looks like things are improving on both the terminal side, and hearing that I need to try to select credit if given the chance seems to help as well.

I've decided to give it another shot, after this experiment and keep using it. Will let you know how it goes

If anybody wants an additional $5 for making your first purchase, enter my code: AC5C15

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I originally made a thread on the Note 7 forum back when I first got my Note, that Samsung pay wasn't working reliably. I decided to try it again, and so here is an update for you, as it pertains to the S7 Edge.

Anyway, I had to trade in my beloved Note 7 for an S7 Edge. Because of that, Samsung was offering additional promotions for me to use it on the new phone. I also saw on here, where a guy posted his code that allows everyone that enters the code $5, and he would get $5. Figured what the hell. I'll give it a shot. I chose credit for a purchase, and the thing worked without a problem, and I instantly got $15 added to my account.

Later on that same day, I tried it at Safeway. This is a store where Samsung pay did not work the last time I tried it. They recently updated their terminals to accept chip cards, so I figured I'd try it. Interestingly, it forced me to do debit, but it worked!

So, it looks like things are improving on both the terminal side, and hearing that I need to try to select credit if given the chance seems to help as well.

I've decided to give it another shot, after this experiment and keep using it. Will let you know how it goes

If anybody wants an additional $5 for making your first purchase, enter my code: AC5C15
Before I noticed I had a terrible time getting the Walmart terminals to take Samsung pay, but I had either the Note 5 or 7 at the time. This works great everywhere.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Before I noticed I had a terrible time getting the Walmart terminals to take Samsung pay, but I had either the Note 5 or 7 at the time. This works great everywhere.

That's interesting. Wonder if my problems all along were the Note 7, and people saying how great it was were using an S7 Edge or something

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I had no issues with Samsung Pay on both of my Note 7s and have no issues with it on my S7e. Totally blew the cashiers mind at Costco today when she said "we don't do that yet" and I said sure you do and it worked. My wife says I'm too smug about Samsung Pay. :)

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I had no issues with Samsung Pay on both of my Note 7s and have no issues with it on my S7e. Totally blew the cashiers mind at Costco today when she said "we don't do that yet" and I said sure you do and it worked. My wife says I'm too smug about Samsung Pay. :)

I am going to try it at Costco next time I go.

MalachyNG

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I've had a note 5 and now an S7edge and the self checkout terminals always give me grief. I really don't use samsung pay because the machine will spit out an error and call the clerk over to re-set, which is kind of a pain.

My theory is that I'm placing the phone wrong in some way (I'm not entirely sure where the MST emitter is). I believe i have a problem with the self checkouts because their card readers usually work in both directions you can swipe the card and have 2 mag-stripe readers. I'm betting that most of the time I'm holding the phone in the wrong spot and activating both mag-stripe readers at the same time which causes the machine to glitch on me.

Using single-direction card readers at like a convenience store check out has a better success rate for me.

While I think the MST part of samsung pay is great I really wish more stores would pay a little extra and get an NFC capable POS system when they are already upgrading to chip readers. And for the love of all things holy can we please get NFC payment set up at gas pumps? I'm starting to lose count how often I've had to get new card sent to me, especially when I lived in Florida, because there was a skimmer at a gas station and somebody got my card number or there were so many in my area my bank thought '**** it, replace everybody's card!'

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I love that "we don't do that yet" or "that won't wormk". Then of course it works and their face is priceless.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I've had a note 5 and now an S7edge and the self checkout terminals always give me grief. I really don't use samsung pay because the machine will spit out an error and call the clerk over to re-set, which is kind of a pain.

My theory is that I'm placing the phone wrong in some way (I'm not entirely sure where the MST emitter is). I believe i have a problem with the self checkouts because their card readers usually work in both directions you can swipe the card and have 2 mag-stripe readers. I'm betting that most of the time I'm holding the phone in the wrong spot and activating both mag-stripe readers at the same time which causes the machine to glitch on me.

Using single-direction card readers at like a convenience store check out has a better success rate for me.

While I think the MST part of samsung pay is great I really wish more stores would pay a little extra and get an NFC capable POS system when they are already upgrading to chip readers. And for the love of all things holy can we please get NFC payment set up at gas pumps? I'm starting to lose count how often I've had to get new card sent to me, especially when I lived in Florida, because there was a skimmer at a gas station and somebody got my card number or there were so many in my area my bank thought '**** it, replace everybody's card!'
Some trials work best if you hold your phone closers to the top of where our slide a credit card through. Hod it there for a few seconds.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The only time I have issues is with the cashier. I make it a point to just tell them it's Visa, wait for the transaction to show up, and then whip out the phone. Otherwise, I run the risk of getting into an argument with the cashier.

The first time I used it, the cashier argued that it wouldn't work in a very aggressive manner. When I tried it, it did not work. As I pulled out my credit card, I realized it didn't work because she never put the transaction through to the terminal. So I whipped out my phone and tried it again. She was still arguing with me when I had to point out the receipt had already printed out.

I've had to explain MST to a bunch of curious cashiers who didn't think it would work but were polite about letting me use it.

I use it all the time, never failed once. Don't know if it matters, but I don't use a case.

jbjtkbw007

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
This is my favourite thing about my phone when I'm around a bunch of iPeople. "No that won't work here" is my clue to make it work and it usually does. That look on their face is priceless when you complete the transaction.

And as someone else said, you do need to hold it there for a moment and wait for the beep. Remove it too quickly and that's when you may get an error.

Oh, and unless something has changed recently, doesn't work at Home Depot, but since their recent update, now works at 7-11.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The only time I have issues is with the cashier. I make it a point to just tell them it's Visa, wait for the transaction to show up, and then whip out the phone. Otherwise, I run the risk of getting into an argument with the cashier.

Yeah, I hate that. Clerks always seem to assume it's Apple Pay, and they all seem to want to argue about it. It's annoying enough that I now avoid shopping at stores where the clerks give me a hard time. I don't have time to explain MST to every minimum-wage high school cashier out there.

I did especially enjoy using my Samsung Pay at CVS, though. The clerk there didn't argue with me, but I know CVS is pushing its own brand of contactless payment and tries to disallow all the other kinds. Suck on that CVS! :D :D :D

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I hate that. Clerks always seem to assume it's Apple Pay, and they all seem to want to argue about it. It's annoying enough that I now avoid shopping at stores where the clerks give me a hard time. I don't have time to explain MST to every minimum-wage high school cashier out there.

I did especially enjoy using my Samsung Pay at CVS, though. The clerk there didn't argue with me, but I know CVS is pushing its own brand of contactless payment and tries to disallow all the other kinds. Suck on that CVS! :D :D :D
Lol

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I think the most fun I had was when I went into this cupcake shop near my work they make the best cupcakes she had a tiny little square reader on her tablet. I got the total I put the phone on the Square Reader and it worked she was absolutely floored

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I've not had any problems with paying with Samsung pay but I have had issues with my membership cards not scanning/being recognized. Anyone else using it for those and seeing the same? I have reported it to Samsung but they clearly didn't know anything about it. It worked flawlessly on my original Note 7...but never worked on the 2nd Note 7 and doesn't work on the S7 Edge, either.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've not had any problems with paying with Samsung pay but I have had issues with my membership cards not scanning/being recognized. Anyone else using it for those and seeing the same? I have reported it to Samsung but they clearly didn't know anything about it. It worked flawlessly on my original Note 7...but never worked on the 2nd Note 7 and doesn't work on the S7 Edge, either.

I was able to spend most of my Samsung Pay gift card balance today at Walmart. I tried this same thing with my Note 7 a while back, and it didn't work. Not sure if they had an update, or I selected credit this time. Oh, I bought some handgun ammo, and it still worked ;)

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I was able to spend most of my Samsung Pay gift card balance today at Walmart. I tried this same thing with my Note 7 a while back, and it didn't work. Not sure if they had an update, or I selected credit this time. Oh, I bought some handgun ammo, and it still worked ;)

I had an issue with the Samsung credit as well but that was user error (mine). I didn't know what the PIN was and was flustered as there was a woman standing RIGHT OVER ME at the self check out (uh...back off please). Payments haven't been an issue...just membership cards.

LOL on the handgun ammo being a smooth purchase.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Lmao

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I haven't had any issues using my membership cards. I did have a issue getting the Samsung Pay loaded at first now it works fine and it also reloads as well.

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I wish I knew why this card won't work. I tried another store with another card and it was flawless. BTW for those of you with the Samsung promo credit, you must use it as Visa. Or at least I had to. It defaults to wanting a pin which I tried (the card tells you what the pin is) but it didn't work. When I used it as credit it went through no problem.