Samsung pay thread part II

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I think I solved the Starbucks Samsung pay issue that many people are having. The other morning I decided to try my phone again at their little card terminal. I held it sideways over the top of the terminal screen and it went right through (I was using note 5 at the time but it probably works with 7edge too) Here's a picture of the terminal at our local store.//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170102/2e8c63babff826542d69c1aea3604682.jpg
It worked. I didn't have to turn it sideways though. I just had to keep the phone on top until the check mark came up. 🎉🎊

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Gotta admit, it's kind of fun using the phone to pay for stuff. This is the first time I've used it in a month tonight so I missed out on the 4X points offer but I'll be using it more often.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Works at Home Depot. Here's our local old style terminal
b2a712c1f245de04235e302c669c7735.jpg

Vinman911

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
It won't work at a pump when the card slides in because of the location of the reader- I've tried lol. At any of the gas station terminals inside- Country Fair, Sheetz, BP, etc

Sure it will, there was a trick posted very early that i have used. Take any card you have without a magnetic stripe and insert into the card reader. Then fire up your Samsung Pay and while it's still vibrating or pulsing, hold it very close to where you pull out the card and it works. For these gas pump readers to work you have to insert some card to trigger the magnetic head to start to sense. Of course, most newer gas pumps have a contact less reader on the pump itself. On those, the very first thing you need to do is fire up your Samsung pay and hold your phone right next to the reader prior to even selecting grade of fuel.

On another note, I'm a bit disappointed as i just redeemed 5000 points for a rewards debit card that failed to load on my phone either via wifi or 4g cellular (got confirmation email though). Used the "more" option to "add rewards card" and getting the dreaded " Unable to add Rewards card. Contact customer service" message. I am now dealing with Samsung Pay customer support to resolve with no ETA.

Sucks.

djhayes1977

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone ever had an issue where they used Samsung Pay at a retailer and it went through successfully but no notification came through or reward points credited to your SP account??

Happened to me twice, once at a 7-11 and over the weekend at a supermarket? Don't know why I didn't receive a notification or my reward points but it shows in my bank account. Any ideas?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Sure it will, there was a trick posted very early that i have used. Take any card you have without a magnetic stripe and insert into the card reader. Then fire up your Samsung Pay and while it's still vibrating or pulsing, hold it very close to where you pull out the card and it works. For these gas pump readers to work you have to insert some card to trigger the magnetic head to start to sense. Of course, most newer gas pumps have a contact less reader on the pump itself. On those, the very first thing you need to do is fire up your Samsung pay and hold your phone right next to the reader prior to even selecting grade of fuel.

On another note, I'm a bit disappointed as i just redeemed 5000 points for a rewards debit card that failed to load on my phone either via wifi or 4g cellular (got confirmation email though). Used the "more" option to "add rewards card" and getting the dreaded " Unable to add Rewards card. Contact customer service" message. I am now dealing with Samsung Pay customer support to resolve with no ETA.

Sucks.
I don't want to monkey around with sticking cards in the slot lol. Around here we have plenty of newer pumps but not many are marked for contact less 😐. I don't mind running in to pay with my phone though.

pinkivy98

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Has anyone ever had an issue where they used Samsung Pay at a retailer and it went through successfully but no notification came through or reward points credited to your SP account??

Happened to me twice, once at a 7-11 and over the weekend at a supermarket? Don't know why I didn't receive a notification or my reward points but it shows in my bank account. Any ideas?

Yes this happened to me twice. One notification I received 3 or 4 hours after the transaction. The second time the notification popped up about 3 days later. Had the correct date & time of the transaction just came days later. The other transactions I made that day popped up immediately after payment was made so this was the only one that did this.

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I find Samsung Pay works at fewer and fewer places for me, if it's a reader that takes "chipped" cards, Samsung Pay fails, very annoying

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I find Samsung Pay works at fewer and fewer places for me, if it's a reader that takes "chipped" cards, Samsung Pay fails, very annoying
When you attempt to use it, has the cashier gotten the order to the screen it needs to be at where you would typically slide a card? It literally works everywhere here for me. I do have to ask and make sure they're at the right screen on their monitors like the other day at Subway it didn't work, but then I found the cashier didn't hit the right button once he did, it went right through. What places are you trying it at?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

I use at King Soopers in the self checkout lane and it always works. They have the terminal that reads chipped cards. I just get watched by the employee monitoring the booth as if I'm trying to steal. Once she sees the receipt print up, she walks away. I'm guessing not too many people pay yet with their phones there.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Mine as well. I've paid at various stores with chip readers and plenty without. Often times it is a cashier error or how you hold the phone and how long it's held at a position. Can possibly be affected as well by the case

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
The Starbucks phone app is great and you can reload through PayPal or whatever. Reloading takes literally 30 seconds. I use samsung pay just about everywhere I can, but starbucks rewards are not bad (free food, drinks, etc). It's as easy to use as samsung pay at starbucks.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Only place I've had problems is the Subway sandwich shop.
I'm willing to bet the trouble you had 2as the cashier. Didn't work for me, then the cashier was shown by another to do something on their screen for credit card purchase, then it worked.

davisgq

Aug 7, 2014
Visit site
In Europe and Asia, EMV chips have been in use longer than here in the US. I know that EMV has been in use in South Korea for several years already. I'm sure Samsung being a South Korean company has figured this out and incorporated Samsung Pay to work with EMV card terminals :)

mikeshauling

Mar 29, 2014
Visit site
Tried at CVS pharmacy today. My phone showed the check mark and beeped like it went through but the store terminal beeped and said payment not supported try again by swipping the card. After the second attempt , i just used the chip card. not sure what it was.
Only thing i can think of is, after i left i realized i put the phone on top of their reader where the tap tp pay sticker was. I think they have that turned off because they said they dont accept tap to pay there yet. I bet if i woulda used my phone by the card slider it woulda went through as NFC ? If i understand how this works exactly.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Tried at CVS pharmacy today. My phone showed the check mark and beeped like it went through but the store terminal beeped and said payment not supported try again by swipping the card. After the second attempt , i just used the chip card. not sure what it was.
Only thing i can think of is, after i left i realized i put the phone on top of their reader where the tap tp pay sticker was. I think they have that turned off because they said they dont accept tap to pay there yet. I bet if i woulda used my phone by the card slider it woulda went through as NFC ? If i understand how this works exactly.
It works at my cvs and their tap and pay is shut off. I hold it by the card slider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995