11-07-2016 10:33 AM
73 123
tools
    iMessage is a biggy that I miss. The hubby and daughter have iPhones and it's definitely more cumbersome to communicate with me using Android but we make it work.
    Harry Dunn likes this.
    10-19-2016 02:53 PM
    The two huge advantages with iOS is the ability to do a full backup and restore with all app settings, which is simply missing from Android unless you root. And screen replacements are relatively cheap ($100 and $150 in store even without Apple Care). Replacing the screen on Samsung phones are a nightmare. I had the back replaced on a GS6, and it cost $80 through a third party and it was complete crap. It was a lease return so I didn't care, but it was a terrible job, and it was just the glass back!
    10-19-2016 03:13 PM
    For me its no contest, I hate the way apple makes me jump through hoops just to get my data off and on devices.
    Can you elaborate on what hoops? Just curious
    10-19-2016 04:04 PM
    iMessage is a biggy that I miss. The hubby and daughter have iPhones and it's definitely more cumbersome to communicate with me using Android but we make it work.
    I've found whatsapp being the best solution for videos. It's an awesome app, wish it could merge with iMessage and work hand in hand for Android users. Just a pain forcing iPhone users to have to use whatsapp when they have iMessage.
    10-19-2016 04:06 PM
    I'm not sure what he's speaking of specifically but as far as "jumping through hoops" you are really limited as far as what info you can put on and take off your phone. Android can be used as a portable storage device. If I want to store a bunch of files from work that are too large to email, I can just plug my phone into any computer, upload the files and then take it home and drag and drop them to my home computer. Last I checked, you can't easily do that with an iPhone. You'd have to download some app and then use iTunes. Maybe it has changed in the last couple of years? Also, If I want to download music from any site, I can do it right on my phone and I'm not limited to using iTunes. If you have a bunch of music files on an android device, you can plug your device into your work computer and drag and drop the files on the computer and listen to it. You can't do that with iPhones. For music purchased thorugh iTunes, you're fine but if you put all your CDs on your computer at home and have all that music on your iPhone, you can't just plug your iPhone into your work computer and drop the music files on your desktop so that you can listen. You would need to download some program to do that simple task.
    T48 likes this.
    10-19-2016 04:31 PM
    For my preferences, I have no inclination to even try an iPhone. I had one for work previously and hated everything about it. So, totally subjective question which doesn't have a right answer. Just opinions.
    tadpoles, amyf27 and ecfritts like this.
    10-19-2016 05:06 PM
    For my preferences, I have no inclination to even try an iPhone. I had one for work previously and hated everything about it. So, totally subjective question which doesn't have a right answer. Just opinions.
    Same here had free one through work but..just wasn't for me.
    10-19-2016 06:54 PM
    I just want to be able to plug it in and drag and drop. I hate iTunes with a passion. Everything has to be sideloaded through a different app then to get another app to see it can be a pain. I take a lot of photos and even to get my own photos off my I pad which have not been taken on it can be a nightmare. I'm not an apple hater. I love my I pad. But I just want access to my own stuff.
    T48 likes this.
    10-20-2016 02:12 AM
    The only answer to the question in the title is whether you want to use iOS or Android. You'll be happy with either phone once you decide with operating system you want.
    10-20-2016 02:40 AM
    The two huge advantages with iOS is the ability to do a full backup and restore with all app settings, which is simply missing from Android unless you root. And screen replacements are relatively cheap ($100 and $150 in store even without Apple Care). Replacing the screen on Samsung phones are a nightmare. I had the back replaced on a GS6, and it cost $80 through a third party and it was complete crap. It was a lease return so I didn't care, but it was a terrible job, and it was just the glass back!
    Smart Switch does a nearly full backup of the phone. Not sure if it includes app settings. Samsung cloud reportedly also has the app settings.
    10-20-2016 03:55 AM
    Android has improved with time and now is smooth and has very good battery life...my s7 edge last 2 days at times and min 1.5 days...i have all three OS windows 10 mobile to android to IOS..soo lumia 950, S7 Edge and iphone 5s..find most boring os is ios...and it also suffers from occasional lag and slow opening of apps...Android reminds me of symbiam days...really happy with my S7 Edge
    10-20-2016 04:49 AM
    A lot of people praise icloud but it can be a big mess at times. For one you can only restore a backup during initial setup (meaning when first activating the phone). You have to be on Wi-Fi so if you're not near a connection you will have to wait. The biggest problem is having the same software version as the previous back up. If you lose you're old phone or switch to android and try to come back to iOS there's a likeness you won't be able to restore your your icloud back-up because the new phone will have a newer version then your back-up. I think thats one of the biggest fails with icloud. Yes it's nice when it works, but not always as pleasant as apple lover's will have you to believe.
    10-20-2016 05:12 AM
    Smart Switch does a nearly full backup of the phone. Not sure if it includes app settings. Samsung cloud reportedly also has the app settings.
    SmartSwitch remembers some system settings and which apps need to be installed, but it doesn't move over app settings and game progress. Most of my apps and games have app specific cloud backups, but it's messy because you need to re-login app by app. iCloud and iTunes will restore everything in one shot, with all settings for all apps and system.
    10-20-2016 09:38 AM
    SmartSwitch remembers some system settings and which apps need to be installed, but it doesn't move over app settings and game progress. Most of my apps and games have app specific cloud backups, but it's messy because you need to re-login app by app. iCloud and iTunes will restore everything in one shot, with all settings for all apps and system.
    That's what Samsung Cloud reportedly does. The settings do include backups for App Data. I just never have tried restoring from it yet.
    10-20-2016 10:59 AM
    The awfulness of the email experience on Android is making me miss at least that one aspect of iOS...

The stock iOS email application does it all. It supports Exchange/ActiveSync, two-step authentication (Yahoo! email), Gmail and countless others. It does so seamlessly without drama. Set it and forget it.

I've tried TypeApp and BlueMail, both huge battery hogs. I'm currently using the 14 day trial of NewtonMail (was CloudMagic) but will uninstall if I really have to pay $50/Year to use it (seriously?) - it doesn't support Yahoo two step authentication I had to downgrade security on that account. The Gmail application fails to sync calendar or contacts on an Exchange account, just results in constant Cloud Sync errors. The Samsung stock email application is OK, but can't set "next message on delete" option - it always returns to the inbox, and it doesn't support two-step authentication either.

I haven't tried K9 yet, or Alto, Outlook I don't even remember what showstopper I found with it, but I found one.

Sorry for venting, but this is the only thing so far that I've found about Android that is demonstrably sup-par to iOS. Email is just such a critical feature...
    10-20-2016 11:09 AM
    I'm pretty sure app data is backed up by Google Drive now as well.
    10-20-2016 11:10 AM
    The awfulness of the email experience on Android is making me miss at least that one aspect of iOS...

The stock iOS email application does it all. It supports Exchange/ActiveSync, two-step authentication (Yahoo! email), Gmail and countless others. It does so seamlessly without drama. Set it and forget it.

I've tried TypeApp and BlueMail, both huge battery hogs. I'm currently using the 14 day trial of NewtonMail (was CloudMagic) but will uninstall if I really have to pay $50/Year to use it (seriously?) - it doesn't support Yahoo two step authentication I had to downgrade security on that account. The Gmail application fails to sync calendar or contacts on an Exchange account, just results in constant Cloud Sync errors. The Samsung stock email application is OK, but can't set "next message on delete" option - it always returns to the inbox, and it doesn't support two-step authentication either.

I haven't tried K9 yet, or Alto, Outlook I don't even remember what showstopper I found with it, but I found one.

Sorry for venting, but this is the only thing so far that I've found about Android that is demonstrably sup-par to iOS. Email is just such a critical feature...
    Give nine mail client a try. I have been using the trial and it has really impressed me.
    10-21-2016 05:41 AM
    Give nine mail client a try. I have been using the trial and it has really impressed me.
    I know Nine will do exchange but it doesn't support Gmail or Yahoo so it means I have to rely on multiple email clients, so not really the solution I'm looking for. Cloud Magic seems to work OK, just waiting to see how it does on battery life for a day - still I won't pony up for $50/year.
    10-21-2016 06:44 AM
    I use the stock exchange email for work and blue mail for my home email I don't notice any severe battery issues or lagging problems in particular
    10-21-2016 06:46 AM

The stock email app on my S7 handles Gmail 2 step verification no issues. Not sure on any Exchange issues, but AFAIK my outlook.com email syncs to the stock email app via exchange with no issues I notice. Could you specify what exactly is the issues you're having?
    10-22-2016 02:31 AM
    Yahoo uses two-step validation like Google, but I guess the implementation is different.

I'd prefer not to have to use multiple apps for email.

My current solution is using the built-in Accounts for Exchange and Google contacts/calendars, and I'm currently test-driving AOL's Alto email client. It works so far and will just have to see about battery life. It does have some limitations I've already noticed but not deal-breakers.

While I was using Cloud Magic it was good as far as battery usage.
    10-22-2016 02:01 PM
    Yahoo uses two-step validation like Google, but I guess the implementation is different.

I'd prefer not to have to use multiple apps for email.

My current solution is using the built-in Accounts for Exchange and Google contacts/calendars, and I'm currently test-driving AOL's Alto email client. It works so far and will just have to see about battery life. It does have some limitations I've already noticed but not deal-breakers.

While I was using Cloud Magic it was good as far as battery usage.
    Hmm. I just use the built in Email app for Gmail and Outlook.com.

But then in my case, as long as email syncs properly and renders properly so I can read it, it's fine with me. Lol.
    10-23-2016 04:55 AM
    Some one did a charging speed test of google pixel iphone 7 plus and S7 Edge....all starting charging from 1 % S7 edge was obv 1st then pixel and iphone 7 plus took more than 3 hours to charge...thats just stupid
    11-03-2016 09:02 AM
    Some one did a charging speed test of google pixel iphone 7 plus and S7 Edge....all starting charging from 1 % S7 edge was obv 1st then pixel and iphone 7 plus took more than 3 hours to charge...thats just stupid
    I had the pixel for a wopping 2 days and the charging sucked. The initial 10 minutes r fast and then it takes forever once at a certain percentage
    11-03-2016 09:51 AM
    Supersaf or something like that on yt I think. Think the 3 hour range is what Apple quoted.

I had the pixel for a wopping 2 days and the charging sucked. The initial 10 minutes r fast and then it takes forever once at a certain percentage
    In the video referred to above, think the iP7+ was 3 hours, Pixel 2 hours & the S7E was 1.4 hours w/o looking it up or watching again.

There are those that will argue that a slower charging battery is safer & will point to the N7 to back up their case. Until of course, the iP line implements fast charging next year or so.
    11-03-2016 10:55 AM
73 123