11-07-2016 10:33 AM
73 123
tools
    It seems the iPhone 7 Plus is the main competitor now that the Note 7 is history.

Would you say overall the Edge is still the better phone due to better screen, wireless charging, fast charging, and SD card slot.
    10-19-2016 01:10 AM
    It seems the iPhone 7 Plus is the main competitor now that the Note 7 is history.

Would you say overall the Edge is still the better phone due to better screen, wireless charging, fast charging, and SD card slot.
    It depends who you are. I find iPhones very proprietary, locked down and useless. Specs mean nothing when you can't take advantage of them, and in my opinion, Android gives you that ability above and beyond an iPhone. I worked as a Tier 2 Senior Technical Advisor for Apple, and I still would never purchase an iPhone. I love Macs, but anything with an i in front of it is forbidden in my home ;

So long story short. Android in General. S7 all the way, but not a fan of the edge. I would go with the flat. And mainly I say that because the advantage of the edge doesn't out weigh having a screen protector and case that fit properly
    crodon963, Gray Area and T48 like this.
    10-19-2016 01:22 AM
    Hell yes. Plus VR, and all the functionality of Android over ios. Also, between Apple pay and Samsung pay, Samsung pay is better and starting to grow on me
    amyf27 and Gray Area like this.
    10-19-2016 01:26 AM
    Hell yes. Plus VR, and all the functionality of Android over ios. Also, between Apple pay and Samsung pay, Samsung pay is better and starting to grow on me
    So all because the 7 Plus is the newest thing, you don't think it's the best thing or an 7 month old Edge?
    10-19-2016 01:47 AM
    The Edge also has a headphone jack.
    10-19-2016 01:51 AM
    What does newness have to do with being better? The 2016 vios is still worse than a 2009 WRX.
    mhinc, Gray Area and Harlemknight like this.
    10-19-2016 01:55 AM

And ease of customizing screens etc and camera
    10-19-2016 03:30 AM
    Samsung pay is outstanding. Funny at Bob Evans the other day I went in to pickup a Togo lunch. The older Lady said "that won't work" when I got my.phone out to pay at her older card scanner. I said "just watch". She had this bewildered look on her face and asked "what did you touch??" When it worked.
    jbjtkbw007 and Harlemknight like this.
    10-19-2016 03:33 AM
    Really depends on what you want. If you like customizing your phone then android but if you don't want to tinker with any of that then probably ios. It also depends on how the os feels to you. Which one fits you.
    10-19-2016 03:52 AM
    Really depends on what you want. If you like customizing your phone then android but if you don't want to tinker with any of that then probably ios. It also depends on how the os feels to you. Which one fits you.
    I'll agree to that. Apple puts out a good product but for me personally I like customizing and restrictions free use.
    soulenigma likes this.
    10-19-2016 03:57 AM
    It depends on what ecosystem you're invested in. I had the S7. The S7 Edge to me is the better choice.The only problem is not being able to use a tempered glass screen protector. So I went back to a regular wet install screen protector. Finding a case is not a problem. Using a regular screen protector to have the bigger screen far outweighs using a glass one with a smaller screen. IMO
    10-19-2016 04:49 AM
    After the N7, I purchased a 256GB 7+. While I did enjoy the smoothness and the "it just works factor", more security within apps, better speakers, etc. The S7E just has way too many advantages. Some already mentioned: for me better camera, wireless charging, fast charging, drag and drop files, download virtually anything from the internet, customization, etc. For now I can deal with the occasional lag from the S7E and ram management. It really on lags for me when im updating apps from the play store and that doesn't happen all of the time. Battery is great on S7E, constantly get 5-6 hrs sot.

I was tearing my hair out trying to decide (14 day exchange period) which os to go with. Lock myself in with S7E when S8 will be out shortly or go with iphone which I know will receive updates and another one won't be out until September. No doubt iPhone will hold its resale value. In the end, I think I will decide to keep S7E and wait to see what the iPhone 8+ has to offer. Heck I could make my S7E look like an iphone if I wanted to through customization.
    T48, rikskie, mmcclure0453 and 1 others like this.
    10-19-2016 06:00 AM
    In July i switched from the regular S7 to the iphone 6s plus. I wanted to check out iOS 10 and then eventually switch to iPhone 7 plus in September.

I started my smartphone journey with the iphone but switched to android and never looked back.

My plan didn't work. I forced myself to justify the price tag of the iphone coming from an S7. It took me a while to convince myself but it eventually happened.

When iOS 10 came out, I was severely disappointed. It was nearly the same.

Yes iphone is fast. But that's it.
    I switched back to S7 edge in mid September.

I forgot about the features I was missing. They are so many! The screen design battery technology customisation everything is just light years ahead of Apple.

Samsung is the king of smartphones.
    And this is coming from an HTC Fanboy.
    10-19-2016 06:41 AM
    S7 Edge has several advantages over the Iphone: Samsung Pay, wireless charging, fast charging, better screen experience, expandable storage, unlimited free google photos storage, etc.
    10-19-2016 06:54 AM
    In July i switched from the regular S7 to the iphone 6s plus. I wanted to check out iOS 10 and then eventually switch to iPhone 7 plus in September.

I started my smartphone journey with the iphone but switched to android and never looked back.

My plan didn't work. I forced myself to justify the price tag of the iphone coming from an S7. It took me a while to convince myself but it eventually happened.

When iOS 10 came out, I was severely disappointed. It was nearly the same.

Yes iphone is fast. But that's it.
    I switched back to S7 edge in mid September.

I forgot about the features I was missing. They are so many! The screen design battery technology customisation everything is just light years ahead of Apple.

Samsung is the king of smartphones.
    And this is coming from an HTC Fanboy.
    I had a free iPhone through work but I actually turned it in because I preferred Samsung that much I had the iPhone 6 at the time and they wouldn't let me change it to the larger version plus they only let you change every two years and there was all sorts of work corporate red tape crap I didn't want to deal with anymore
    10-19-2016 06:58 AM
    I had a free iPhone through work but I actually turned it in because I preferred Samsung that much I had the iPhone 6 at the time and they wouldn't let me change it to the larger version plus they only let you change every two years and there was all sorts of work corporate red tape crap I didn't want to deal with anymore
    I let my husband use my work phone for quite a while then he got a free one through his new job and that's what I turned mine in. He is an apple fanboy that must be why we're still married Opposites Attract LOL
    10-19-2016 06:59 AM
    iPhones just work, the way Apple wants them to - decisions are taken away from the end user on look & feel. You have to be OK with that. I was but switched to Samsung at least for now to see what I'm missing, and primarily to take advantage of AT&T's BOGO when adding my wife to my account.

After the Note 7 fiasco I'm kind of bummed as that was the phone that inspired me to burn my upgrade and switch ecosystems, but the Edge is not bad, and maintains the BOGO. If not for the BOGO I'd have returned the Note 7 and ordered an iPhone 7 Plus. I do like the ingrained email/calendar functionality in iOS better than any app I've found for Android - probably from years of using the same thing.

It will be interesting to see if in the future Google is able to tune their hardware and Android to perform the way Apple has with iPhones and iOS.
    Law2138 likes this.
    10-19-2016 07:57 AM
    On a pure hardware/design level, the Edge smokes the 7 Plus -- just the fact that it's the same size screen in a one hand capable form factor makes it a no contest. But it really just comes down to iOS vs Android. I'd never switch to iOS.
    10-19-2016 09:01 AM
    Kind of a loaded question to ask on a Galaxy forum. Ask the same thing on an Apple forum and you'll get polar opposite replies.
    Gray Area likes this.
    10-19-2016 09:11 AM

That's tough, but since your in an Android forum I wonder how objective we can all be. They both have their plusses and minuses.

You won't get bored as fast with the Edge. The paint won't rub off of the iPhone's home button (Apple uses sapphire, Samsung uses paint or some other soft material).

You've got wireless charging with the Edge, you've got real optical zoom with the 7+.

You've got a headphone jack with the Edge, you've got an adapter to lose with the 7+.

You've got sleek sexiness with the Edge, you've got Ms. Bertha Bezels with the 7+.

You've got inky blacks and colors that pop with the Edge (and a better chance of screen burn in), you've got better battery and a still beautiful display with the 7+....

...and the list goes on. Personally, for me, it's a tossup. I went with the Edge...hope it was the best choice for me.
    jrf456, ecfritts, joe and 1 others like this.
    10-19-2016 01:06 PM
    On a pure hardware/design level, the Edge smokes the 7 Plus -- just the fact that it's the same size screen in a one hand capable form factor makes it a no contest. But it really just comes down to iOS vs Android. I'd never switch to iOS.
    I totally agree with you, the form factor of the edge is quite incredible. I came from an iPhone 6s Plus and it was such a hard awkward phone to hold and grasp. I couldn't use it one handed and I guess I just adapted to that over time.

Now having the edge, I honestly don't think I'd be able to go back to the iPhone plus size, I'm spoiled now!

And as for what @tadpoles had to say below you, I find zero comparison to the display. The edge is so far superior to the iPhone. I won't switch to ios until they go with OLED display which is rumored in the next iPhone. Oh and they need to cut down the bezels of the iPhone plus
    rikskie likes this.
    10-19-2016 01:23 PM
    As stated, both have pluses and minuses. If you are into customizing and tweaking with vast settings, the S7 Edge absolutely smokes the iPhone 7. You will have to deal with more glitchy behavior with Android than iOS. To me it's worth the occasional glitch to have Android. While iOS continues to take steps in the right direction, they still have a long way to go before I'd consider going back. You still can't even arrange the icons how you like them on the home screen! That is just completely ridiculous. So many other reasons why I personally prefer Android. Like I said, if customization is not really your thing, I think iOS is a good platform.
    ecfritts likes this.
    10-19-2016 01:24 PM
    As stated, both have pluses and minuses. If you are into customizing and tweaking with vast settings, the S7 Edge absolutely smokes the iPhone 7. You will have to deal with more glitchy behavior with Android than iOS. To me it's worth the occasional glitch to have Android. While iOS continues to take steps in the right direction, they still have a long way to go before I'd consider going back. You still can't even arrange the icons how you like them on the home screen! That is just completely ridiculous. So many other reasons why I personally prefer Android. Like I said, if customization is not really your thing, I think iOS is a good platform.
    Not having an app drawer is a big downfall. Hate how all the apps have to cover the entire screen, what is even the point of a wallpaper?? I don't think Apple will ever steer away from that type of setup. Even their so called "widgets" are a joke. Definitely better implemented in ios 10, but still not to my liking.

The only one thing I miss is iMessage since my entire family is iPhone users. Wish Android has some type of compatibility app like to communicate with iMessage.
    ecfritts, rikskie and Harry Dunn like this.
    10-19-2016 01:39 PM
    For me its no contest, I hate the way apple makes me jump through hoops just to get my data off and on devices.
    10-19-2016 01:44 PM
    Not having an app drawer is a big downfall. Hate how all the apps have to cover the entire screen, what is even the point of a wallpaper?? I don't think Apple will ever steer away from that type of setup. Even their so called "widgets" are a joke. Definitely better implemented in ios 10, but still not to my liking.

The only one thing I miss is iMessage since my entire family is iPhone users. Wish Android has some type of compatibility app like to communicate with iMessage.
    I left iPhones behind with my 4S so that was quite some time ago. I haven't checked out the widgets. My GF has a 6 plus so I'll have to check that out.

I definitely agree about missing iMessage. I hate how when I send an MMS, it reduces the quality and makes photos look lousy. Videos? Just forget about sending them via the carrier. I realize there are other ways to share HD videos and such but being able to just send it via iMessage is definitely missed.

Another thing I will say about iPhones and I'm not sure yet on the 7 but the 6 and 6 Plus are super easy to change the screen if you break it. I've replaced several iPhone screens. The 4 and 4S are horrible and you basically have to take the entire phone apart but I recently replaced my GF's screen on her 6 Plus and it took me less than a half hour to do this! I bought the screen and digitizer on eBay for $66.00. The S7 Edge is all glued together and the screen is not as easy to replace. Since the iPhone 7 is now water resistant, it might be more difficult than its predicessor but I do know that the iPhone 5-6S are super easy to change out.
    10-19-2016 02:47 PM
73 123