Get the 7 Edge or wait for the 8?

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I was going to order the 7 Note as I am finally due for an upgrade on VZW.

Not crazy about any other phones on the market but am into the 7 Edge.

My worry here is that I am going to want the S8 which I imagine will release sometime in Feb/March?
I guess I could hold on to my HTC M8 until then but its gotten incredibly slow and its proving more difficult to use by the day.

Wait for the 8 or just get the 7 and worry about the potential upgrade in 4-5 months?

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

optimummind

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I was going to order the 7 Note as I am finally due for an upgrade on VZW.

Not crazy about any other phones on the market but am into the 7 Edge.

My worry here is that I am going to want the S8 which I imagine will release sometime in Feb/March?
I guess I could hold on to my HTC M8 until then but its gotten incredibly slow and its proving more difficult to use by the day.

Wait for the 8 or just get the 7 and worry about the potential upgrade in 4-5 months?

Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I say wait for the Galaxy S8. In the meanwhile, try a factory reset on your HTC.

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
Similar situation. On the one hand, the S8 may be delayed if they don't diagnose the N7 cause, and you may want to delay 1-2 months after the S8 is launched to see if problems emerge like I did for the N7 and glad I did. If the full Grace UI and Nougat is updated soon this year for the S7e, then I will pull the trigger and go ahead with the S7e. The dilemma will be if they do this update in say Jan/Feb right before the S8 is launched.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Having just gone through the whole Note 7 recall, I'm leery of being a beta tester with brand new phones anymore, and I've typically gotten the newest latest greatest phone on launch day for the past decade...sometimes upgrading every year. I'd be hesitant to jump on the S8 so quickly, and might just suggest the S7 Edge now

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
All good suggestions; thanks to all who have replied.
I am going to rest the M8 but regardless of that outcome, i think both bialy and Misterb make very good points.

That said, i think Samsung is going to do EVERYTHING humanly possible to get their next phone launch, right. There is no margin of error for them moving forward.

From A Buick 8

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
All good suggestions; thanks to all who have replied.
I am going to rest the M8 but regardless of that outcome, i think both bialy and Misterb make very good points.

That said, i think Samsung is going to do EVERYTHING humanly possible to get their next phone launch, right. There is no margin of error for them moving forward.

I am waiting for the S8. i made the switch to android with the Note 7 and i am committed to stick with android for a while. I am still using my Note 7 and hope to keep it until the S8 drops. If i have to i will go back to my old 5s until the S8 comes out.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I just got the S7Edge but am pretty interested in seeing what is revealed and when the S8 is revealed. If they have two sizes like the S7/7Edge that would be great. A lot of rumors going around and potential photos of what the S8 (s) will look like

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I read an article yesterday about Samsung doing away with the "Note" line all together. Since panels need to be manufactured real early, the design window is almost closed now for the S8. If they rolled the Note into the S8 line, I would like to see a bigger screen than 5.5". Regardless, I'm getting the biggest screen option of the next one they release. 😊

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Having just gone through the whole Note 7 recall, I'm leery of being a beta tester with brand new phones anymore, and I've typically gotten the newest latest greatest phone on launch day for the past decade...sometimes upgrading every year. I'd be hesitant to jump on the S8 so quickly, and might just suggest the S7 Edge now

Same here. I never again will pre order and wait a few weeks and buy it in the store after this whole mess of not getting a proper refund and the nightmare associated with all this. If the S8 comes out in march, I will wait until at least late April or early May to buy. However I might buy an iPhone directly from Apple, unlocked from Best Buy, or roll the dice and order it from Samsung.com who uses a third party. The S7 Edge is the last phone I buy directly from Tmobile after all this I went through with them and getting screwed over on a refund.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like it may be a good six months since I can/should i get my hands on an S8.
If thats the case I may just fold now and get the 7 and then worry about how I can pay it off/get rid of it later...

Does anyone know if VZW has any sort of trade-in option?
And if so, do you get any credit relative to how much youve already spent paying down the phone?

dario12v

Nov 30, 2014
Visit site
I am waiting for the S8. i made the switch to android with the Note 7 and i am committed to stick with android for a while. I am still using my Note 7 and hope to keep it until the S8 drops. If i have to i will go back to my old 5s until the S8 comes out.

Same here, using my note 7 until s8 comes out... Hopefully they'll let us keep it until then....

japhule

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like it may be a good six months since I can/should i get my hands on an S8.
If thats the case I may just fold now and get the 7 and then worry about how I can pay it off/get rid of it later...

Does anyone know if VZW has any sort of trade-in option?
And if so, do you get any credit relative to how much youve already spent paying down the phone?

Verizon usually has trade in promotions. I would expect by the time the S8 comes out, they'll likely take the S7 phones as trade in for $300. I traded in my 2015 LG G4 (normal trade in value $71) to get $300 credit (as part of VZW's trade in promotion) to get the Note7 er... S7 Edge. You'll have to pay off your existing phone first though before you can upgrade.

Separately, SamMobile posted a rumor that Samsung is considering giving previous Note 7 users some sort of compensation for next years phone due to all the issues with the Note 7.

New compensation program reportedly being prepared for Galaxy Note 7 customers - SamMobile

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The S7edge is nice, but I would definitely wait to see what the 8 has to offer. Like others have suggested, do a factory reset to hold you over. I purchased a refurb S7e to hold me over. I had the Note 7 but had already sold my Note 4 by the time the second recall came around. I needed a phone, but nothing was going to match the N7 for me. It has been very hard going from the N7 to the S7e. It is a nice phone but not nice enough for me to use my upgrade.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The S7edge is nice, but I would definitely wait to see what the 8 has to offer. Like others have suggested, do a factory reset to hold you over. I purchased a refurb S7e to hold me over. I had the Note 7 but had already sold my Note 4 by the time the second recall came around. I needed a phone, but nothing was going to match the N7 for me. It has been very hard going from the N7 to the S7e. It is a nice phone but not nice enough for me to use my upgrade.

I hear you on that.
I did the rest and its definitely snappier.
The only thing that bothers me is the camera. Its very slow and you really need to fidle with it to get good pics.

Can I ask where and for how much you got the refurbed S7E?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I hear you on that.
I did the rest and its definitely snappier.
The only thing that bothers me is the camera. Its very slow and you really need to fidle with it to get good pics.

Can I ask where and for how much you got the refurbed S7E?

I got it from ebay, a Verizon version for $400 but it has gone up since then to $460 ... wow.

I had a feeling the refurb S7edge phones were going to go up real quickly once the Note 7 was deemed dead, which is why I bought it so quickly.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I didn't wait, I traded my N7 for an S7e, and I'm not unhappy with my decision. The S7e is close enough to the N7 experience to tide me over until the S8 comes out, especially with the recent AOD update and the (hopefully coming soon) Grace UI update.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The S7e has this wonderful feel to it, it's super fast, and it's screen is dramatic. As much as I appreciate it, I like my new V20 a tad bit more, but we’re still in that Honeymoon phase.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc