10-25-2016 09:40 PM
34 12
tools
    In the seven months you have had the S7 Edge have you experienced any problems with it what is your overall review of IT having it that long? I've only had it for a couple days now
    I love it.

My criticisms are few, so I'll put them first.

I find it ergonomically uncomfortable without a case. Partly because you have to hold it oddly to not touch the edges inadvertantly. It isn't only that, though. Even the lightest of cases corrects that issue (edge touches) for me, but I do like the option to not use a case at home. The finger print magnet that is the shiny back is also annoying without a case. A more matte finish would be preferable. However, if I have to use a case regardless (for edge touchiness, glass back protection, ergonomic comfort), then the fingerprint issue is covered up anyway.

Another quibble is with the camera. I am somewhat disappointed with lower light shots. It seems to struggle to take a clear shot more than reviews would suggest. I'm talking in auto mode and not in very dark situations. Situations I would expect auto to be able to handle reasonably well.

AOD is just stupid in this form. I know some folks use it as a clock, and that's fine, but from a guy who had the original Motorola version of this, the Samsung version as on the S7E is just a joke. Do it right or don't bother. Hoepfully there is an update soon that brings the 3rd party notifications the N7 had.

I think that's about it for complaints. My last phone was an LG G4, and man, did I miss the AMOLED screens I'd had on my Motorola Droids previously. The S7E screen is just stunning. The overall experience is fluid and snappy, the battery lasts very well for me (I do try and maximize battery via disabling apps, shutting off some syncs...and this is the first time I've had the ability to use a packacge disabler app, too). It looks good. Its smaller than the screen size suggests. Its a Galaxy Sx, so there're a lot of cases and other peripherals from which to choose.

Finally, given how the N7 crashed and burned, I wonder if we may be treated to updates and special treatment for our S7 and S7Es that we ordinarily would not be this far down the line. I would think Samsung would want to get updates and things of that sort out to us sooner than later under the circumstances. Especially since there are likely a lot of N7 owners using these handsets now.

The N7 was never something for which I longed. Didn't want a screen that large and the S Pen is of no use to me. For those who do put a premium on those things especially, their rating of the S7E compared to mine may be different.
    10-22-2016 11:50 AM
    In the seven months you have had the S7 Edge have you experienced any problems with it what is your overall review of IT having it that long? I've only had it for a couple days now
    ...I gave you my overall review, but didn't sopecifcially answer if I've had any problems.

No problems.
    10-22-2016 11:53 AM
    I've only had an S7E for a couple of weeks, but I'm pretty happy with it. I moved up from an S6. If anything, my impression is that the weak points are "all about the edge" -- I'm not that much of a fan of the edge, and I'm a bit saddened at how Samsung is apparently abandoning non-edge large phones.

If your S7E is sluggish, well, how much more operating system do you have running with all of the "edge" stuff? I played with some of that edge nonsense, and that's what I thought of it -- nothing, absolutely not one single thing, that I really needed. Just something to activate inadvertently when you're simply trying to hold the dang phone. So, I quickly turned every bit of it off. And if you turn off a bunch of the operating system, guess what? Then perhaps the phone runs a lot smoother. All I can tell you is that I have no issues whatsoever with any "lagging" or anything like that.

And as for holding the thing, yeah, it was tough for the first five minutes, until I got the S-View case attached to the thing. Ever since, I've had no problems holding the phone. I definitely like how the edges of the case "wrap around" the phone a bit, rather than being straight as the non-edge cases have been.

At any rate, that's what works for me. I wouldn't mind having an even bigger screen, as in the N7, but I had the original Note, and I absolutely never, ever used the S-Pen even one time. So, I sure don't need that in a phone. And thus, the S7E meets my needs pretty well, as I've got it set up now.
    10-22-2016 01:25 PM
    I'm really interested in seeing the next Samsung phone that comes out the S8 and or S8 Plus etc. That Note 7 was absolutely beautiful and they are definitely onto something with it
    I agree. Besides the exploding situation it seemed like Samsung got everything right with the N7. I actually had plans on keeping that phone for a while. May just keep the S7 edge for a good while too. It's no N7, but it's close enough. Im hoping that Samsung can make whatever phone they have coming up next just as great as the N7. Minus the exploding. Lol
    amyf27 and shaleem like this.
    10-23-2016 05:01 AM
    I have tried to use this new s7e and for the life of me it just hiccups left and right. Reset it several times but the WiFi and the data just hiccup. Moved back to my N7 because of this. It's like having the fastest engine that decides to stop mid run. Anyone got any pointers as to what causes this? Is this an issue from an update?
    I thought I recall reading about how there are different LTE and wireless bands that the N7 and S7edge had. I don't know if that is your issue or not. I'd say check your Wifi and Mobile data settings on the phone and make sure you have the S7 configured identical to the N7 on it. If the N7 says Global for the mobile settings then make sure the S7 does too. If its a browser you're nothing it in make sure all of your settings (and version of browser) are identical. If one says its using Google compression in its data management or privacy settings make sure they both have that set. There is an app called WiFi Analyzer you can download. Try it on both phones, and see if it shows anything different with what it can see or in strength.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 7 vs Samsung Galaxy S7 edge - Phone specs comparison

- N7 has more refined UI and additional functionality (I've themed my S7E to look more like the N7, but Grace UX is better)
    What theme is that? I'd be interested to give it a try on my S7E when I get it.
    10-23-2016 12:44 PM
    I'm pretty much as happy as I can be coming from the N7 to the S7E. If I hadn't already had 2 flawlessly functioning N7s I think I would probably think it was a perfect device. I do miss the s pen since I've had Notes for the past 4 years and I'm used to having the option to use them. I also miss the iris scanner because I found it convenient for times when I was using my phone near water and my hands were a bit wet so my fingerprint wouldn't register. It was nice to have the option to activate the iris scanner with a swipe down the screen rather than having to dry my hands off first. Even so I think I would be 100% happy with the S7E which does have absolutely insanely great battery life and a gorgeous screen if it had Grace UX, content scaling and most importantly to me currently a fully functioning AOD with 3rd party updates. Those things are glaring reminders that I have been forced to downgrade. If/when those things are corrected I think I'll really love this phone.
    KPMcClave and shaleem like this.
    10-23-2016 01:54 PM
    Not sure my s7 edge has been great. I actually had a similar problem to that on the Note 7.
    Same here. S7 edge been fine
    amyf27 and shaleem like this.
    10-23-2016 03:11 PM
    I am not real happy with the s7 edge... Loved the n7. I am on WiFi at home and several times in less than 2 weeks I have had to restart my phone to get the data to work. I don't like the edge on the s7e, too sharp, harder to see things on the edge. I downloaded the Google keyboard, had trouble with the Samsung on it.... Better on n7. I loved the edge panel on n7, seems different on the edge. I also am accidentally opening a lot of apps because of it, so I have pretty much stopped using it.

I am seriously thinking of going back to my note 4 or getting a pixel xl or v20.... I just can't see paying all this money and being stuck with this phone for 2 years....
    10-24-2016 07:35 AM
    What theme is that? I'd be interested to give it a try on my S7E when I get it.
    The theme was called Grace UX, but Samsung banned it, saying it was too close to their Grace UX. The author Felipe Leite is working on another version he says will be ready in November. Here are a few screenshots from the original. I bought it before it was taken down from the theme store.

S7E just not as good as the N7-s7egrace.jpg
    10-25-2016 09:40 PM
34 12