Airline Refused to Let Me Board with a 7edge

campcop1

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
With all the mess about the 7Note, no one is really paying attention to the rest of the 7 series except the airlines. They know of the overheating problems with the 7 edge. There's been lawsuits filed about it.
I tried board a plane at Orlando International and TSA pulled me over to the side and stated that I personally could board but not with my device. I used it constantly for business and it is less than 6 months old. My ride to the airport had already left so I ask could it be held in the safe until my return. They stated absolutely not as it was a liability issue for the airport as well as the airline. So, I'm suppose to throw away a $700.00 phone or not go on my flight. I called the company I was having a meeting with in New York and they were very understanding as one of their VPs had had the same problem the day before. I went back to my Jax office and had a video conference with the company and everything was good.
When I called Samsung about it, they offered to see if they could get me a reconditioned one as I had already complained to them about the overheating issues. I told them I bought a new phone and was paying for a new phone and really, the airline was refusing the entire 7 line of phones as well as any note or notepro tablet. They stated they couldn't change it out for a different series phone and they were not going to replace anything else in the 7 line until they were under court order to do so as not to lose their NAFTA privileges. So, the manufacturer doesn't care but why should they, they're in Korea.
I then took the issue to AT&T and asked if I could have something else even of a lesser value than the 7edge so I could take it on business trips without issue. Nope. They didn't care. Until the airlines notifies them, they aren't doing anything to help their customers. I asked if the airline had notified them of the 7 note when they were banned and they said no but everybody knew about it. I ask them what made them think the airlines are obligated to notify them of anything.?
I'm changing carriers and phone as soon as possible. Better yet, I'll go to Walmart and get one of those prepaid smart phones and tell to all take a leap.
Sorry if there are typos, etc. They have a stupid survey covering half the text area and you see it.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The back of the phone says which phone it is. There's no ban on the s7 edge and I'm pretty sure they had to train the tsa people on which phone to not allow on planes.

dvarapala

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
This is pretty scary actually.

There is no recall on the S7 edge, no FAA ban, and thus no reason whatsoever why some TSA monkeyhead should stop anyone from bringing one on board an airplane. Imagine if the TSA stared arbitrarily banning every type of phone that ever had an issue? Imagine the uproar from the fanbois if the iPhone 7 were not allowed on planes because one of them caught fire?

Last edited:

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't see why you expect AT&T or Samsung to fix this. It sounds like you just got a stupid TSA agent (I think most TSA agents are not stupid) who handled the situation improperly. Someone else posted that they were not allowed to use their iphone 7 plus, because a flight attendant thought iphone 7 plus was a Note 7. Samsung and AT&T aren't responsible for a TSA agent who does something they are not supposed to do.

Instead of complaining to AT&T and Samsung you should have got the name of the TSA agent and made a formal complaint to TSA. Maybe that would lead to better training of TSA agents and this would be less likely to happen again.

Last edited:

chazglenn3

Trusted Member
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The TSA doesn't say who can or can't board a flight. That is up to the airline. They are only there to screen people before they enter the secure area. Since the Note 7 is only banned from being allowed on airplanes and not banned from airports, if this story is true then heads should roll. I work for an airline.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
This doesn't surprise me. Any Samsung phone is going to be in question. But could they legally do this? The Edge isn't on any list...yet.

I would have threw a fit.

troshs

Trusted Member
Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
This sucks if it is true. I have a flight coming up in March for vacation. If I can't take my phone then that's going to screw up everything. But seriously, what the hell?

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I tried board a plane at Orlando International and TSA pulled me over to the side and stated that I personally could board but not with my device.

Like others have said I'd complain to the TSA about their Orlando agent(s) and the lack of said person's knowledge on the issue. I also recommend you complain to Orlando Airport management, the airlines you were going to take, the Orlando/Florida government, the government of the what your destination was going to be, and the CSPC. Some of them may ignore you or blow you off, but some of them may see that it could be an issue for other people they are involved with and take action to correct the situation so that it doesn't snowball into a larger problem. Samsung and your carrier should have been more helpful, but are any of us on this board surprised they weren't? You reps you talked to may not have been helpful, but you can contact higher ups that be more proactive since they don't want you both leaving and spreading bad word of mouth about their companies. You could easily pass on your information to news agencies and they'd run with the story and get more unwanted publicly for the companies. You can find e-mails for Samsung and AT&T's high ups on the Internet - you can go to corporate about pages and Google CEOs of the wireless/mobile phone division and find their contact information.

This sucks if it is true. I have a flight coming up in March for vacation. If I can't take my phone then that's going to screw up everything. But seriously, what the hell?
I'd contact the airlines and airport you're planning to fly with and talk to them about your concerns stating that if you're going to have have issues with their companies then you will not use their airlines/airport. When they are made aware of the money and repeat customer(s) they are going to loose if there is issue they'll take steps to make sure it isn't an issue by the time it comes for your flight(s).

TTQ225

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
The back of the phone says which phone it is. There's no ban on the s7 edge and I'm pretty sure they had to train the tsa people on which phone to not allow on planes.

There is nothing on the back on N7 or S7E sold in Canada. The only visual differentiator would be the S pen.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
How did they know what phone you had to start with? Did they physically see it or catch it on the xray? I'd probably hide my phone in my bag going through security or from roaming flight attendants just to avoid possible such hassles

Android Optimizer

Jul 26, 2014
Visit site
I'd probably hide my phone in my bag going through security or from roaming flight attendants just to avoid possible such hassles

Some locations say the phone/tablets/etc have to be separated from the rest of your luggage and put in a separate container when going thorough the scanner/x-ray. That being said putting a heavy duty case on the phone before going through would probably do a pretty good job of concealing what model it is, and most of those TSA would not go to the trouble of examining it any further. Regardless any TSA with half a brain should know its the Note 7 and not the S7 Edge that has the transportation ban, and anyone that is troubled by them should work up the chain of command and supervisors to get through.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Some locations say the phone/tablets/etc have to be separated from the rest of your luggage and put in a separate container when going thorough the scanner/x-ray. That being said putting a heavy duty case on the phone before going through would probably do a pretty good job of concealing what model it is, and most of those TSA would not go to the trouble of examining it any further. Regardless any TSA with half a brain should know its the Note 7 and not the S7 Edge that has the transportation ban, and anyone that is troubled by them should work up the chain of command and supervisors to get through.

Yes, there is no reason they shouldn't let you on a plane with a 7edge since there is no ban. I know a guy that checked his gun, but brought the holster in his carryon. The TSA guy wiped the holster and found that it had gun powder residue on it and got all freaked out and got his supervisor, who, pointed out to the brilliant sleuth of a TSA agent that well you know... it is a gun holster so it probably will have some gun powder residue on it. I'm sure we could go on for hours with less than brilliant TSA stories though so I digress.

I'd hope that if you pushed it up the chain a bit that the supervisor would be intelligent enough to know that there is no ban on the 7e and that you can get on with it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
If the airlines wouldn't let you board with it, why not just keep your phone in your pocket after going through security? Then the person working the ticket counter won't see the phone then.

justin1578

Nov 7, 2010
Visit site
Uh because he had a meeting to go to. There are a lot of reasons why people travel around...

I picture you having a mental image of 1971 air travel complete with businessmen packed in coach and never having touched a computer as you read what th dry posted and then my response.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro