S7 edge exploded within 2 weeks of normal use.

hasasimo

May 3, 2014
Visit site
You should be a lot more concerned with the iPhone 7... been out only weeks and already some explosions. S7 Edge has been out since February actually, not even March.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
You should be a lot more concerned with the iPhone 7... been out only weeks and already some explosions. S7 Edge has been out since February actually, not even March.

How would Apple handle something like that if the government forced them to issue a recall on the iPhone 7 since Apple doesn't have another fairly new device to fall back on like Samsung did with the S7 Edge?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
How would Apple handle something like that if the government forced them to issue a recall on the iPhone 7 since Apple doesn't have another fairly new device to fall back on like Samsung did with the S7 Edge?
Apple already had the explosion issues last 2014. A boy in France was injured I believe as the phone exploded in his face. Apple covered it up I guess and paid people off.

Soundman72

Jan 27, 2016
Visit site
Let's be honest the minute any story of an exploding Samsung phone is made its going to be big news but with the s7 range they have been out for a long time so the odd exploding phone it's not time to run to the hills really.
It's more people who are haters of Samsung who want to whip up the storm

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I really think sam users should start to get worried about this. This was a wakeup call for me. I mean look let's be honest here... Personally, myself I love my S7 but I have kids that play on it and god forbid if anything happens during "play" time it could have serious life threatening dangers... Of course after reading this I won't allow my phone to be touched by anyone and will keep it in a safe area until I can pickup a new device or possibly trade in for another brand that doesn't have a history of blowing up...
ANY phone can catch fire. The number of incidents with the S7/S7E is miniscule. You have a better chance of being in a car accident, so don't drive your kids anywhere, either.
Honestly, any phone has a similar risk of catching on fire. You wouldn't own any phone if you read all of the reports of phones catching fire.
If you think other manufacturers are not affected, you are fooling yourself.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
You have to apply just a little bit of critical thinking and stop acting as though the S7 Edge = the Note 7. If that were the case, the S7 Edge would have been discountinued before Easter.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm not worried about this, but if the S7 edge gets pulled, which I doubt will, I'm done with Samsung. If some group is trying to make Samsung look bad, they are doing a good job at it. I still have my note 7 waiting for its box, I'm hoping Samsung figures out the problem and its fixable, if so I can go back to that before I send it back. I like the S7 edge, but would go back to the n7 in a heartbeat if I could. I would stay with the n7 if I could but I worry there is a time that it will be disabled or not supported anymore.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Phones have been catching fire since they were invented. Maybe we should stop buying phones altogether.
That's what I've been saying the whole time since the n7. My boss last week made a statement that he should leave a voicemail to the employees that they can't plug in their note 7 phones. I laughed and asked him what he has, he proudly said he has the iPhone 6. I told him well if you do that to the note 7 phones, you need to tell them not to plug in their iPhones as the iPhone 6 and 7 have had fires to. Just that Apple didn't do a global recall. The global recall was Samsung mistake, they brought national attention to it and as we seen every phone fire was tied to the note 7 even if it wasn't a note 7.

But yes I am fully aware all phones have the risk, I've said the same thing as you just said, if your scared of phones catching fire then maybe you shouldn't get one and to help prevent phone fires the first step is to not put them in your pockets, which cause extra heat.

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I love my s7 edge and I wish note 7 worked fine because it was a beautiful phone. I have the dual Sim version. I had to switch to Samsung from G4 because my company emails are working only on galaxy phones but s7 edge is better in many ways compared with G4.

KPMcClave

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Crap. I just thought of something.

I hope they don't recall my wife's S5 before she's due for upgrade at the end of next month.

erasat

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I don't want to get blown up... I have kids in this household.

Then you'll need to buy another device to do phone calls as currently ALL cell phones that you can buy at the moment can explode at any moment as ALL of them use the same Battery type.

People, S7 edge has been out for about 7+ months and the incidents about this has been just at the same rate than the rest of phones, nothing to worry, nothing abnormal with this. This same mass hysteria was the caused of the second and final recall of the Note 7, and so far, since the exact moment it was officially recalled for good, Have you read about any single additional Note getting fire? Food for thoughts...

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
And... I've seen the same smugness and ridicule from the Note7 forums as I am here...Right up until they pulled the plug... So for some of us maybe the aggravation, or worry could certainly be understandable.

actually, many of us who are still cheating death daily with our Note 7's are still smug... I just try to be politely smug... :)

although I respect other's right to disagree, my opinion was media hype and consumer hysteria. I also believe some of the reports will eventually be found to have people doing everything they can to make them catch fire so they can make a buck.

It's all about perspective... For example, household appliances are more likely to kill us and our children in a horrifying inferno...

still can't understand why Apple is not receiving the same attention for their flaming iPhones, either...
<she says as she looks for her tinfoil hat... ah! there it is! gimme that sucker, I wanna wear it today!>

reference - Appliance fires - Consumer Reports

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Let's try this one time to put things into perspective.

There were 2.5 million Note 7s shipped worldwide. Worldwide being North America, Korean and China (with Taiwan, and we can discuss whether Taiwan is China in another thread). The rollout had just started. We don't have any numbers outside of the US, so we will use US statistics that Samsung has acknowledged as being correct.

The first batch of phones had about 700,000 Note 7 phones in users hands. Samsung says 90% of those were returned. The second batch had between 300,000 and 500,000 phones in user hands. We'll go easy here and round the number higher that it could be and say that's 1,200,000 Note 7 phones in total that were in the hands of people using them in the US. Some people used both the old and the new, and that's counting them twice.

(note (no pun intended) these sales figures are not publicly stated and were given to me with the understanding that we don't talk about where they came from. But there are other trusted members here at AC who have the same numbers from different sources. I am certain they are true).

Let's round all the figures so we can make this easy. The point will be exactly the same.

We had about 100 incidents of "extreme battery failure" out of 1,000,000 phones. That is 0.01%.

Lets say we had 100 incidents of Galaxy S7 phones. Lets go with the low estimate that 30,000,000 were sold. That is 0.00033%

We can go one step further because iPhone 6 models have exploded. There were about 100,000,000 of them sold. 100 explosions would be 0.000099%

All of these are tiny numbers. But the Note 7 has a failure rate that is thousands of times greater than either the Galaxy S7 or the iPhone 6.

All phones have the potential to explode. Including the one in your pocket right now. The same goes for RC cars, vape pens, smart watches and anything else with a lithium based battery. The tech has an inherent danger. A lot of work has been done to limit the danger, and for the most part it works. But when a product has a rate of failure that wildly outside of the normal range, you can not ignore it.

Until 10,000 or more Galaxy S7 phones explode, you can't compare the scenario with the Note 7.

Maybe every Note 7 that didn't explode is perfectly safe. Maybe not. That's not the point. There was something about the phone, whether a manufacturing defect, a software bug (my guess), or bad batteries that made it unsafe in general.

There is no evidence that the Galaxy S7 or any other Samsung product has the same issue.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for that Jerry. I think nerves are frazzled because of the Note and the media's frenzied handling of the fiasco.

Thank you and thank AC for not joining in that circus, posting a bunch of exploding phone propaganda without facts to back it up. Some of these other sites I swear..

bialy

Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
unless the later production qc and/or later software update have a higher failure rate, that will match the n7 over this month

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Agreed and at that point I will be done with Samsung too.

If S7 Edge gets recalled, Samsung is DONE too... (Sadly, might even be done NOW, quite frankly :(

Why would a company want to put out ANY product closely resembling a previous product that was recalled as a fire hazard when there are millions of ppl just waiting for them to misstep, and some even possibly "trying" to make them misstep? Personally, i will be surprised to see ANY New Phone from Samsung (happy, but surprised : )

BTC

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Let's try this one time to put things into perspective.

There were 2.5 million Note 7s shipped worldwide. Worldwide being North America, Korean and China (with Taiwan, and we can discuss whether Taiwan is China in another thread). The rollout had just started. We don't have any numbers outside of the US, so we will use US statistics that Samsung has acknowledged as being correct.

The first batch of phones had about 700,000 Note 7 phones in users hands. Samsung says 90% of those were returned. The second batch had between 300,000 and 500,000 phones in user hands. We'll go easy here and round the number higher that it could be and say that's 1,200,000 Note 7 phones in total that were in the hands of people using them in the US. Some people used both the old and the new, and that's counting them twice.

(note (no pun intended) these sales figures are not publicly stated and were given to me with the understanding that we don't talk about where they came from. But there are other trusted members here at AC who have the same numbers from different sources. I am certain they are true).

Let's round all the figures so we can make this easy. The point will be exactly the same.

We had about 100 incidents of "extreme battery failure" out of 1,000,000 phones. That is 0.01%.

Lets say we had 100 incidents of Galaxy S7 phones. Lets go with the low estimate that 30,000,000 were sold. That is 0.00033%

We can go one step further because iPhone 6 models have exploded. There were about 100,000,000 of them sold. 100 explosions would be 0.000099%

All of these are tiny numbers. But the Note 7 has a failure rate that is thousands of times greater than either the Galaxy S7 or the iPhone 6.

All phones have the potential to explode. Including the one in your pocket right now. The same goes for RC cars, vape pens, smart watches and anything else with a lithium based battery. The tech has an inherent danger. A lot of work has been done to limit the danger, and for the most part it works. But when a product has a rate of failure that wildly outside of the normal range, you can not ignore it.

Until 10,000 or more Galaxy S7 phones explode, you can't compare the scenario with the Note 7.

Maybe every Note 7 that didn't explode is perfectly safe. Maybe not. That's not the point. There was something about the phone, whether a manufacturing defect, a software bug (my guess), or bad batteries that made it unsafe in general.

There is no evidence that the Galaxy S7 or any other Samsung product has the same issue.

This.

(I did the math too using just general sales figures and any reports I could find on incidents and find my critical thinking process at total odds with the hysteria.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12