Not thrilled with camera, What am I missing????

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
So I'm seeing everyone posting, raving about the camera. But honestly? I'm not too thrilled with a lot of my pictures I'm taking with it. My Note 4 seemed to have a better photo quality. Am I missing some settings or something? I looked at the settings I have, and can't find anything to set differently. Any ideas???

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
So I'm seeing everyone posting, raving about the camera. But honestly? I'm not too thrilled with a lot of my pictures I'm taking with it. My Note 4 seemed to have a better photo quality. Am I missing some settings or something? I looked at the settings I have, and can't find anything to set differently. Any ideas???
Some of mine aren't that great, but usually with a little fiddling they turn out nice. Sometimes I'll switch to ProMode.
3afc2b4bb9eeb6421a05f53f50b1179e.jpg

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. It definitely handles indoor and low lighting conditions better but at the expense of overall resolution in good lighting conditions. The GS6 took better outdoor pictures - especially with any degree of zoom or crop. I find the GS7 solid in almost every condition but in almost 6 months I've never taken a pict that I looked at later and said "wow".

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. Kind of disappointing, imo. I'm not a huge picture-taker, but when I do, I like to see better quality than I'm getting.

ded1945

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
As I posted in another thread, I've been using my camera more often than my Coolpix S60. Handier, faster and good quality pictures.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If you're not thrilled with this camera I think you just probably wouldn't be thrilled with any phone camera. Might need to just get a dedicated camera. Other than the Pixel, most phones don't really touch this camera.

merlinskw

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
The more features and capabilities of a camera, the more knowledge it will take to use it. Sometimes it just takes practice. I've seen amazing pictures taken by others, and I've very nice pictures myself.

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. That's a really nice shot! I'm pretty experienced with the phone cameras. I just think my Note 4's looked better in a lot of situations than this one. I'm a seller on eBay, so pictures are important for my little business. And I just don't think the quality is as good. That's why I'm wondering if there is a setting that I'm missing when looking at it.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah. That's a really nice shot! I'm pretty experienced with the phone cameras. I just think my Note 4's looked better in a lot of situations than this one. I'm a seller on eBay, so pictures are important for my little business. And I just don't think the quality is as good. That's why I'm wondering if there is a setting that I'm missing when looking at it.

Thanks guys. Try select focus. On that picture, I tapped on the screen in the area of the trigger. I then held still and pressed the shutter button. Also, I like the auto adjust button in the gallery, after viewing my images. It makes the darker areas more rich. One more thing... Are you using natural light? I think that's key to getting great pictures

Last edited:

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've always preferred the Note 5 camera over the camera in my S7 Edge or any of the phones I own.

That's interesting. I had the Note 5 too. Hell, I've had every Note from 2-7. I haven't noticed that the Note 5 was any better. I can tell you this... I sure don't miss the lack of an SD card slot. This 256 gig card I've got is sweetness

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys. Try select focus. On that picture, I tapped on the screen in the area is the trigger. I then held still and pressed the shutter button. Also, I like the auto adjust button in the gallery, after viewing my images. It makes the darker areas more rich. One more thing... Are you using natural light? I think that's key to getting great pictures

I use a mixture of natural light, and inside lights. I'll try adding more natural and see if that's better. Thanks for the tips! What are your thoughts on HDR?

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That's interesting. I had the Note 5 too. Hell, I've had every Note from 2-7. I haven't noticed that the Note 5 was any better. I can tell you this... I sure don't miss the lack of an SD card slot. This 256 gig card I've got is sweetness
I have both phones. I bought the Note 5 in January and the S7 Edge on preorder. I was carrying both phones last winter trying the cameras out especially at night because I liked the way the Note 5 would take night shots.

This picture below was from the S7 Edge. You can see a white dot in the sky that looks like a star. When I posted this in this forum back in March, others said they had the same white dot appear to them. This was something the camera produced on it's own. I was able to get the camera to do make many more of those white dots one night after a snow storm. Anyways, this was the first picture I ever took with the S7 Edge at night. I have a second S7 Edge but I honestly haven't used either of the two S7 Edge phones to take that many pictures because I usually bring the Note 5 with me every day.

20160322_195913.jpg

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I use a mixture of natural light, and inside lights. I'll try adding more natural and see if that's better. Thanks for the tips! What are your thoughts on HDR?

No problem. I have mine set to auto for HDR, and I like it. I also shoot in 16x9, at the highest resolution it will let me

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have both phones. I bought the Note 5 in January and the S7 Edge on preorder. I was carrying both phones last winter trying the cameras out especially at night because I liked the way the Note 5 would take night shots.

This picture below was from the S7 Edge. You can see a white dot in the sky that looks like a star. When I posted this in this forum back in March, others said they had the same white dot appear to them. This was something the camera produced on it's own. I was able to get the camera to do make many more of those white dots one night after a snow storm. Anyways, this was the first picture I ever took with the S7 Edge at night. I have a second S7 Edge but I honestly haven't used either of the two S7 Edge phones to take that many pictures because I usually bring the Note 5 with me every day.

View attachment 243863

Hmm. Weird. I don't know me. Maybe it's a UFO ;)

Deke218

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
It's supposed to be the same camera setup but the Note 7 took better photos. On a related note, I'd been taking pictures with the S7E for a couple of days and not really liking the results... It was then I notice the plastic cover on the camera lens... 😑

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
It's supposed to be the same camera setup but the Note 7 took better photos. On a related note, I'd been taking pictures with the S7E for a couple of days and not really liking the results... It was then I notice the plastic cover on the camera lens... ??????

YES! I kept hearing that. But the one on my N7 seemed much better. Odd. No plastic. I checked just now. LOLOL