Why is my battery life so unbelievably poor

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, the battery drains to 40% within 3 to 4 hours, I've noticed this with a lot of users with those finding fixes with uninstalling Oculus, factory resetting, installing power apps, deleting certain apps, I've tried all of it.

The phone overheats recently also, the phone was turned off for an hour today and lost 20%. That shouldn't happen

Like the others android system uses around 60%

Does anybody have any fixes?

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, the battery drains to 40% within 3 to 4 hours, I've noticed this with a lot of users with those finding fixes with uninstalling Oculus, factory resetting, installing power apps, deleting certain apps, I've tried all of it.

The phone overheats recently also, the phone was turned off for an hour today and lost 20%. That shouldn't happen

Like the others android system uses around 60%

Does anybody have any fixes?
As in overheating what temperature did it reach and did it have any heat warning notifications? Mine got to 107.6 F this a.m. just while I was holding it in the car. It's since cooled off but still

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
i'm not too sure on the temperature but no notifications and it cools off after i have to force it to restart.

The battery drops fast even when the phone is cool.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
There are a few possibilities. I am certainly able to kill my battery in no time if i am doing the wrong things. Do you mind providing some battery statistics to show what is using the batter. Also look at your screen settings having a AMOLED screen on with full brightness can really do a number on your battery. Also doing allot of stuff with High presion GPS can kill it as well.

My battery depending on usage will die around 4-5 hours or can last more then a day just based on what i do with it in the time frame. Battery statistics can really help identify the issue though.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Sometimes my phones will drain the batteries faster than I'd expect.

What may be the culprit?
-Screen brightness?
-Apps/bloat ware running in the background?
-Poorish signal?
-Location on with high accuracy/GPS?

I do what I can to mitigate these and you may want to check

Google10

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
Battery life sucks compared to when the phone came out. I don't get a full day of normal use anymore, whereas I used to get almost a day and a half.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google Photos has been causing problems in the last few weeks, but this was fixed with the last couple of updates. Check to see if your Google Photos app is up to date.

Your cell signal doesn't look great in that screenshot. Use an app like GSam Battery Monitor to see what the cell signal strength is like throughout the day. If it's constantly poor, that can definitely impact battery life.

Seremedy

Nov 24, 2014
Visit site
Your android system is incredibly high, more than half your battery is going to that, i would recommend a cache partition clear, if that doesnt work, remove iculus updates and delete some known battery draining apps, if still no use factory reset and add your apps back 1 by 1 slowly. Your phone shouldnt get hot ir drain battery especially while off, mune never did that. My D7E was actuay the best flagship battery i ever owned even better the the droids of these years

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
As previously mentioned, you could do a system cache wipe.

Turn phone off, then press volume up and home while powering up. Do not let go of the buttons until you see the spinning Android blue screen. You may be presented with a dead Android screen for a minute but don't mind it. Then you will see the recovery menu. Use the volume buttons to navigate and select 'cache wipe'. Be careful in this as it's right next to 'factory wipe'. Then once highlighted, press the power button to select, and confirm the action. Once done, select power off the phone, then turn it on again.

It should fix your problem.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Samsung. When your unsure just throw another app at it. Might fix it might not. I've had my edge for 4 months now and all I know is that this thing is laggy,stuttery,and the battery life is not so great anymore . I've done resets,ive wiped cache. I run a lean phone too background data is turned off for the most part on alot of my apps,backgroubd wifi searching and blue tooth searching are off. I dont run location and when I walk outta my house wifi gets clicked off.just kinda getting sick of the constant tinkering on this phone to get a days worth of battery. I will.never go to apple but I will.be jumping on another bandwagon soon .

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to the world of Samsung. When your unsure just throw another app at it. Might fix it might not. I've had my edge for 4 months now and all I know is that this thing is laggy,stuttery,and the battery life is not so great anymore . I've done resets,ive wiped cache. I run a lean phone too background data is turned off for the most part on alot of my apps,backgroubd wifi searching and blue tooth searching are off. I dont run location and when I walk outta my house wifi gets clicked off.just kinda getting sick of the constant tinkering on this phone to get a days worth of battery. I will.never go to apple but I will.be jumping on another bandwagon soon .

Certainly not my experience after 5 months.

The phone is fast and battery life seems to increase with certain updates.

I had around 7 to 7.5 hours SOT with an average of about 2 days on battery. (I've posted plenty of screen shots over at XDA).

I now average 8.5 hours SOT. It's superb.

Exynos non-rooted. TW. Mixed Wifi/4G, Bluetooth and GPS off, Auto screen brightness at approx. 40-45%. Mixed use of social networking, some media, the odd photography and Internet usage, limited calls. - No game playing, rare use of GPS.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

I dunno. Been in the world of Samsung for 7 years now, my first Android was the original Galaxy S. All my Android phones and tablets have been Samsung and all of them work as advertised. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, but instead of ranting, have you actually tried using your warranty on an obviously faulty device? If the phone was as bad as you claim then it wouldn't have sold as much, and we'd have more complaints. Plus you didn't mention if you've tried running it without an SD card. A faulty SD card would cause problems on any Android phone.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I dunno. Been in the world of Samsung for 7 years now, my first Android was the original Galaxy S. All my Android phones and tablets have been Samsung and all of them work as advertised. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience, but instead of ranting, have you actually tried using your warranty on an obviously faulty device? If the phone was as bad as you claim then it wouldn't have sold as much, and we'd have more complaints. Plus you didn't mention if you've tried running it without an SD card. A faulty SD card would cause problems on any Android phone.
When I had a note 3 through work, I had an SD card in it and the card went bad, causing all sorts of issues.

victoryrules8

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Isn't that what people do here though? Come for help and rant about their problems with their devices? I'm simply saying I've tried many avenues I have friends with this phone as well and have compared . I do not use an SD card in my phone . Perhaps I have a faulty device I don't know but what I'm saying is that TouchWiz causes alot of these problems. I've utilized warranty and insursnce. On previous Samsung devices and maybe I will have to on this one but man all the tinkering just to get a days worth of use is getting kinda old to me.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Isn't that what people do here though? Come for help and rant about their problems with their devices? I'm simply saying I've tried many avenues I have friends with this phone as well and have compared . I do not use an SD card in my phone . Perhaps I have a faulty device I don't know but what I'm saying is that TouchWiz causes alot of these problems. I've utilized warranty and insursnce. On previous Samsung devices and maybe I will have to on this one but man all the tinkering just to get a days worth of use is getting kinda old to me.
Have you tried running Nova Launcher instead of TouchWiz? I like it. Just another option, but honestly if you're having that many issues it should be covered for a replacement.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
phone user