Re-thinking Pixel XL

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
After trading in my Note 7 (twice), I decided to order the Pixel XL (Very Silver, 128gb). My current phone is the S7 Active, which is going to be my husband's, when I finally decide on a phone. He needs to replace his S6, but it's not urgent, so he suggested when I traded the Note 7, to replace it with something he would want until I decided which phone to get for myself. :) I've ordered/cancelled the Pixel three times. I really like the idea of Google Assistant and trying out Project Fi, but I'm annoyed at no wireless charging. I also wonder if I'll miss some of Samsung's "bells and whistles." I didn't think I was going to bother with AOD, and I love it. I use Samsung Pay more than Android Pay, but neither of them supports my bank. :( I have to use my Chase cc. The S7 Edge was my loaner phone while I waited for the replacement Note 7. I liked it...didn't love it as much as my Note, but I'm not sure there was a good reason for that because I don't use the S-Pen a lot.

If I get the S7Edge, I'm going to get an unlocked version. I assume my husband and I can switch around our SIM cards, so the Active would have his SIM, and the Edge would have mine? We have multi-device insurance on our AT&T plan (w/ our son/DIL). Does anyone know if that would also cover the Edge, even though I didn't buy from AT&T?

I'm not a patient person, so part of me wonders if I'm just tired of waiting for the Pixel and want something new NOW. But I've had some reservations about the Pixel all along, because I really have loved most of my Samsung phones.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was considering the pixle myself, today is the last day of my return of the S7 edge. The lack of wireless charging on the pixle is the biggest road block. I like the edge features of the S7, the one handed use feature of the S7, the SD card, although with unlimited storage on the pixle not as important. The AOD will be beneficial when Samsung updates it to support third party notifications. I also like the themes of Samsung, I like to change it up here and there. I like what I call the eye candy Samsung gives us, the pixle is going to be more stock, more blah to me.

So I am leaning towards keeping the S7 edge. Like I said, I was really considering the pixle, but out of all what I listed above, the lack of wireless charging is probably the deal breaker for me.

ZOMMBIE1

Trusted Member
May 24, 2015
Visit site
Samsung pay is huge for me. Never had to use my cards anywhere for a while now. The pixel seems like a solid phone but it's missing a lot of the features im too used to using. I like the always on display, love wireless charging. IP68 expandable storage is nice to have also. S7 edge was an easy choice to hold me down till the S8 comes out in a few months.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The Pixels bells & whistles will be in the software. Whether one would call it fast & lag free or bland will be up to each user. The buzz is starting to come down a bit & more real world user experiences are showing up online.

So the only 2 things I can think of to consider is A. Will it matter to you when the Pixel is updated instantly via Google while Samsung will be delayed via carriers? B. You noted that this is not urgent. So why not see what sort of deals pop up for Black Friday?

mellyf

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
The Pixels bells & whistles will be in the software. Whether one would call it fast & lag free or bland will be up to each user. The buzz is starting to come down a bit & more real world user experiences are showing up online.

So the only 2 things I can think of to consider is A. Will it matter to you when the Pixel is updated instantly via Google while Samsung will be delayed via carriers? B. You noted that this is not urgent. So why not see what sort of deals pop up for Black Friday?
Definitely some good things to think about. As noted above, I'm not the most patient person, so I really do like the idea of faster updates. And it's not urgent in the sense that I actually don't *need* to get a new phone right away. *Wanting* is a whole nother story. :D :D

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I was all set to the Pixel XL but it never got released where I live, with no release on the horizon. All-in with Samsung for now and working on migrating everything away from Google services, if they won't sell me their products then they're not having my data. Hopefully the voice assistant is decent on the S8.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I was all set to the Pixel XL but it never got released where I live, with no release on the horizon. All-in with Samsung for now and working on migrating everything away from Google services, if they won't sell me their products then they're not having my data. Hopefully the voice assistant is decent on the S8.

I would leave everything with Google. Easier to move around between different manufacturers in the future without tying yourself to one, such as Samsung. My s7 edge works great and I use all Google services and none of the Samsung ones

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
The pixel XL is piquing my interest as well...for me it's the potential Google Assistant/SmartThings integration. Currently Alexa works with SmartThings, but I don't have anything Alexa. I could get the small unit (don't know what it's called) but that would only work for when I'm home. So if Google Assistant works with SmartThings (I'm making an assumption/leap...as Google Home is supposed to work with SmartThings) then I'd be able to use voice commands no matter where I am.

I have an Edge and will hang onto it for now. I'm definitely intrigued by Google's offering but I think I'd rather see a 2nd generation before I move over to it.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Other than the software, I don't see the big thing about the Pixel. When you look at the Edge compared to the other Android phones, the Edge is basically the top phone still right up there with the V20 right now. Other than software, the Edge is the better phone I think compared to Pixel.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Turned in my Note 7 on Friday when the V20 was supposed to come out but Best Buy didn't have them in stock. So ended up with a S7 edge. Its grown on me and I think I would miss the wireless charging and water resistance with the V20. The S7 edge has grown on me. I do miss the added brightness of the N7 and the S pen. I didn't like the Pixel it looks to much like an Iphone on the front and no sd card. Guess I will just keep my edge until next Summer till something better comes out..

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Turned in my Note 7 on Friday when the V20 was supposed to come out but Best Buy didn't have them in stock. So ended up with a S7 edge. Its grown on me and I think I would miss the wireless charging and water resistance with the V20. The S7 edge has grown on me. I do miss the added brightness of the N7 and the S pen. I didn't like the Pixel it looks to much like an Iphone on the front and no sd card. Guess I will just keep my edge until next Summer till something better comes out..

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC02179_zpsyxitk4c1.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/Soldier36/DSC02189_zpsjxgwlyta.jpg[/URL]

What made you decide to buy the ATT version at Best Buy instead of the unlocked ones they sell? If I recall ATT also works with wifi calling on the unlocked ones best buy sells.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
What made you decide to buy the ATT version at Best Buy instead of the unlocked ones they sell? If I recall ATT also works with wifi calling on the unlocked ones best buy sells.

I'm sort of locked in to AT&T with there yearly next program upgrading every year. Best Buy was offering a free 256gb sd card the same day as the Note 7 before the recall so I jumped on that.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I would leave everything with Google. Easier to move around between different manufacturers in the future without tying yourself to one, such as Samsung. My s7 edge works great and I use all Google services and none of the Samsung ones

But Google agent holding their end of the deal. If I go to the Google store right now all I can buy is a Pixel C (which I already have and is a seriously neglected devic for the costs) and a couple of Chromecasts.
If Samsung give me some services so I can stop giving Google as little of my data as possible then that's the way I'm going. If it doesn't work out then Apple will be the direction; even though their OS is a pain, they realise as a company that there's a world outside the US and are fair to other countries.

mikef91

Trusted Member
Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
I have an unlocked S7 edge. While I like a lot of the things about the phone, wireless charging is way overrated. I have the Samsung Fast wireless charger and I put the phone on it yesterday with 25% battery at 7am. It didn't finish charging until 10:30am - and before anyone asks, yes fast wireless was turned on in the phone. It charges much quicker with a wall charger.

I picked up a Pixel XL yesterday to try. Despite its less than stellar looks, this is an unbelievable phone. Once you use Android 7.1 on this phone, you won't want to switch back to anything else. The software experience alone is worth the switch, and battery is outstanding. I'm not concerned about the phone only being IP53. It can still take a splash and be used in the rain. The only thing I'll really miss from the edge is Samsung Pay, but most places I shop take Android Pay as well, so it won't be that big of a deal.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I have an unlocked S7 edge. While I like a lot of the things about the phone, wireless charging is way overrated. I have the Samsung Fast wireless charger and I put the phone on it yesterday with 25% battery at 7am. It didn't finish charging until 10:30am - and before anyone asks, yes fast wireless was turned on in the phone. It charges much quicker with a wall charger.

I picked up a Pixel XL yesterday to try. Despite its less than stellar looks, this is an unbelievable phone. Once you use Android 7.1 on this phone, you won't want to switch back to anything else. The software experience alone is worth the switch, and battery is outstanding. I'm not concerned about the phone only being IP53. It can still take a splash and be used in the rain. The only thing I'll really miss from the edge is Samsung Pay, but most places I shop take Android Pay as well, so it won't be that big of a deal.

Wireless charging is not over rated IMO. It's a nice feature that saves wear and tear on the charging port. It's simple, just set the phone on pad and presto it's charging. I mostly wireless charge while I'm sleeping, but I've never had fast wireless charging take that long, on this phone or the note 5,or the n7 while I had it. Nobody is saying wireless charging is faster then plugging it in, and fast wireless charging is faster then normal wireless charging, yes plugging in to Wall outlet is always faster, people that like wireless charging like it for simple, lay on charger and its charging, and the people that have cases that have flaps covering the ports, even more convenient, don't have to pull the flap out every time.

The pixle I am sure is a nice phone.. But for what Google is charging, no wireless charging, no SD card, not water resistant.. Without those three features makes paying more for it over the S7 edge a little crazy in my book, and then losing features Samsung gives you, like one handed use, theme store, edge features, and wireless charging to name a few. The pixle gives you the voice thing, but I wouldn't use that much anyway.. And I think the pixle will be faster phone, should be it's more stock Android without extra software Samsung adds to their phones, but for me that's a lot of what keeps me with Samsung, and I doubt the pixle will be noticably faster. Time will tell on the speed after the pixle has been out for awhile, all phones are fast out of the gate. But I think both phones are nice in their own way depends on what you want.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tony2