Hi,
    I have a Galaxy S7, updated firmware regularly, no water damage (to my knowledge, but we do have a 2-year old running around the house).
    This morning it froze on me. Does nothing. I can't input the unlock password, I can't swipe, I can't even switch it on and off properly. Tried the hard reset, (power button / volume down button). But it does not work. are there any other alternatives than bringing it back to the factory an dhaving everything deleted?
    Any help is much appreciated..
    11-01-2016 09:01 AM
    Welcome to the forums. It does take about 10-15 seconds for the simulated battery pull (the volume down and power). Did you wait long enough when you tried?
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-2016 09:08 AM
    Hi Golfdriver,
    I think so, I slowly counted to thirty. Should have been enough? Or does it not work when you wait too long as well?
    11-01-2016 09:25 AM
    Hi Golfdriver,
    I think so, I slowly counted to thirty. Should have been enough? Or does it not work when you wait too long as well?
    That should have been long enough. The button combo simulates a battery pull, so you should have seen something.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-01-2016 12:31 PM
    An afterthought...I would also contact Samsung. They may have a way to force a restart.
    11-01-2016 12:34 PM
    Hi Golfdriver,

Thanks for thinking with me. I contacted Samsung, they want to try some things and then do a factory reset. The problem is, when I bought the phone, the rep. in the store set the backup for pictures and contacts and such. He associated it with my work email address (not a gmail / google address). So now I don't know how to access my backup (nor do they, I went back and asked, but this guy is a different guy than the last guy... etc... ). If they do a factory reset, I will lose everything for sure. So I want to try and prevent the reset. I have seen references that SmartSwitch still works for people with an unresponsive black screen, does anyone know for sure? I can't allow access to my computer from my phone, so it has to work, regardless of me giving explicit permission.
    11-02-2016 03:27 AM
    Smartswitch should help
    11-02-2016 04:22 AM
    Do you have that email address? Probably used it as a Samsung account.

And just a pet peeve, why do people make reps set up their phone without express instructions? Or why let them set it up for you in the first place?
    11-02-2016 07:01 AM
    Hey ChanChan,

Where do I access my samsung account? Is that an online thing as well?
    The rep. set up my device, because it is my work phone. We are a very small company, my partner arranged everything and I just showed up to confirm and collect. To be perfectly honest ( and I realise this will not add to my credits here ;-) I have an Iphone privately. And though both have pro's and con's, I have never had any problems with Icloud / Itunes. But everything Samsung is just so slightly different...
    11-02-2016 08:45 AM
    Hey ChanChan,

Where do I access my samsung account? Is that an online thing as well?
    The rep. set up my device, because it is my work phone. We are a very small company, my partner arranged everything and I just showed up to confirm and collect. To be perfectly honest ( and I realise this will not add to my credits here ;-) I have an Iphone privately. And though both have pro's and con's, I have never had any problems with Icloud / Itunes. But everything Samsung is just so slightly different...
    Is the phone still not responding? If that is still the case, then finding the backups may be irrelevant.

Another idea may be to reset the password on Samsung's backup site. You would know the email address, and resetting the password shouldn't be that bad.
    11-02-2016 08:51 AM
    I do not seem to have a Samsung Account.

At least not one that matches that email address. Or my name / birthdate.
    11-02-2016 08:58 AM
    Is physical violence against phone company reps legal anywhere? because I'm starting to feel a little frustrated.
    11-02-2016 08:59 AM
    I'm wondering where did the guy setup that email then. It's a bit difficult to know if the phone was set to backup to Google or not if we don't know how to get into the Google account used.
    11-02-2016 01:10 PM
    I recall you saying that this is a work phone? I would let your boss know about this.
    11-02-2016 02:21 PM
    Let it sit until the battery is fully expired (it may take a while as it is unresponsive). I had one do something similar, but when its battery finally died it woke up again when I then plugged it in to finally charge it up again. It might be worth a try.
    11-02-2016 03:44 PM