Does the phone need a screen protector?

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I have ordered a screen protector for the S7 Edge, however I am wondering - is it necessary? I always take care of my phones and never keep them in a pocket along something else so that the screen can be preserved. How is Gorilla Glass 4? I am not talking about shatter resistance (dropping the phone), but merely about scratch resistance. Thank you.

pappcam

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
I never use screen protectors and my phones always stay in pristine shape. I've had an S3 and a Note 4 previous to my S7 Edge and have had no problems so far. I do use cases on my phones but I've never used a screen protector because I don't like how they look or feel.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I have ordered a screen protector for the S7 Edge, however I am wondering - is it necessary? I always take care of my phones and never keep them in a pocket along something else so that the screen can be preserved. How is Gorilla Glass 4? I am not talking about shatter resistance (dropping the phone), but merely about scratch resistance. Thank you.
I have earrings so I tend to scratch the gorilla glass 4. Yes it will get hairline scratches and you will be able to see them in bright lighting. The best screen protector out there for the s7 edge is the bodyguardz HD contour. None of the tempered glass protectors work well due to the curved screen.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
20161102_093309.jpg

I bought a used S7 Edge that was described as having minor scratches on the screen. Minor scratches don't bother me because it doesn't change the experience of using the phone. You can only see them while the screen is off. And if my screen is off, I'm probably not looking at the phone anyways.

If you are planning on selling the device and asking for top dollar, screen condition may be of concern. For me, I'd gladly buy a used device for $300 less because of a few minor scratches.

CrudeOne

Aug 13, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 244861

I bought a used S7 Edge that was described as having minor scratches on the screen. Minor scratches don't bother me because it doesn't change the experience of using the phone. You can only see them while the screen is off. And if my screen is off, I'm probably not looking at the phone anyways.

If you are planning on selling the device and asking for top dollar, screen condition may be of concern. For me, I'd gladly buy a used device for $300 less because of a few minor scratches.

Random but how didn't you get that Google widget like that on the screen?

Gary02468

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Yes it will get hairline scratches and you will be able to see them in bright lighting.

you will get micro scratches no matter how careful you are..

Nope. Like many on these forums, I've used my phone heavily for months with no protection and I have no scratches whatsoever, which I've verified by checking under bright light from a range of angles.

It's been the same with every phone I've owned for the past decade. And for each of those phones, many other people have reported the same experience, whereas still others have complained that their phones have gotten small scratches despite their caution. So either those latter folks have been very unlucky, or they haven't been as careful as they think they have. But either way, their assurances that you'll get scratches are groundless. You might or might not get scratches, depending on how careful and how lucky you are.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
So, if I keep it in my pocket without anything else for a year let's say, will scratches occur after that year (just from the display's friction with any soft materials)?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Needing screen protector depends on you. I need one because I tend to throw my phone in my pocket or purse without thinking there might be keys or sharp items in there.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I don't even throw my phone in anything. It's always in my hand or laying on a table (and always in a case) but it is full of minor scratches. They can only be seen with the screen off and in certain light but they still annoy me like there's no tomorrow. I'm currently waiting on my naked Slickwraps full body skin and Yootech screen protector. They are my last resort and if they don't stick to the edges, I'll just deal with the scratches.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I applied the Yootech screen protector 12 hours ago, but there are still bubbles beneath it. I followed all the instructions properly and it said that they would disappear after 12 hours. Any idea how to fix it? Should I try to push the bubbles out with a cloth or remove and try another one from scratch?

anon(19981)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I definitely would recommend putting on a screen protector if micro scratches would bother you. I always pocket my phone by itself yet the other day I noticed 3 or 4 small scratches on the back of my phone. It doesn't bother me because I don't see them but my ocd would not allow me to keep this phone if they were on the front.

I highly recommend the case friendly ILLUMI AquaShield screen protectors. I've tried a bunch and these go on great and don't lift up after a week or two.

venom0706

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I think I finally made it! I successfully put the Yootech screen protector after at least 2-3 tries. It is now stuck well. However, my only mistake is that there is a small bubble on one of the corners. It is not directly at an end of the protector, but it is close. It can't possibly expand and move to an end where it might cause exposure the protector and start peeling it off, right?

Last edited:

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

IMO using a screen protector is a personal choice. There is no guarantee your phone screen won't sustain some sort of damage; accidents happen. You decide the risk based on your habits and the environment where you use your phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae