Camera can't save photos to SD Card

David Rosen

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Well I just finally grabbed an an old SD Card of mine and formatted it and it works. can store images to SD direct from the camera app the way it's supposed to and everything.So I guess my 128gb card was murdered by that Android System Updates... Once again, System Updates are the worst. I don't know why people sit around complaining how their phone hasn't gotten the latest version of Android... Phones become garbage once they get updated every time. My last phone, the Moto X Pure was the best phone I've ever owned other than the camera (which is why I switched to the S7 Edge) and then it got a system update and it was never the same again. Luckily performance on the S7 Edge didn't take a hit after the latest update and it just ruined a perfectly good SD card. I wonder if the card has warranty... Just thinking out loud haha.

Anyway, problems solved by switching to a new card. Blah.

HMBgal

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I back up everything to my Dropbox account. Just too many issues and flaky stuff happening with updates, etc. I just threw in the towel and now have a couple of TBs of storage and my pictures and stuff backs up automatically. I have to upload on WiFi only, although if I was taking really important pictures, I would reset it to upload immediately.

nico1et

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
I know this is old, but others might run into the same problem if their device does a nougat update. (my little Tab A did recently & I've had numerous problems since then, including the exact same thing with the unable to save to sd card error - when it worked perfectly before)

sorry, I DO NOT believe it's a problem with the card. happened right after the update, which changed pretty much everything, & made some things unusable.

hopefully my latest thing fixed this problem. I went into the settings/storage.. to where I could click on SD card itself (not on the photos etc area) & to where it had the "unmount" option. I unmounted, & then mounted... then I went back to options within the camera app & changed the settings back to sd card (which would act like it was sticking earlier, but wouldn't as soon as I tried taking a photo). then I took a couple photos & never got the "unable to..." error.

hope that helps anyone else doing a search for a solution for this problem even as late as 2017.

Sigh... I've made it pretty long without any major issues with my Galaxy S7 Edge, but now I've got one. I'm not sure if this started with the last update (or the update before that)... But I've read online about the update being the culprit, so that's why I mention it...

If I choose to store photos on my SD Card, as soon as I go to take a photo it says "Unable to save file to SD Card. Default storage has been changed to device memory."

The SD card is fine. My phone is running fine otherwise. Other files can be written and read from the SD card. It's a high quality Samsung card (forget the exact model but one of the top of the line ones). Only 3gb of 128gb are even being used yet.

It never used to be like this. When I got the phone SD card was selected and it saved the photos to the SD card like it's supposed to.

Any ideas? I really don't want to start formatting and wiping and restoring and all that. This is so annoying.

nico1et

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
well, it worked enough to save a few photos to the card like before, but now it's saving to internal memory.

sorry, I don't agree that the card is mysteriously toast just due to the update. this happened immediately after that lame (marshmallow?) update that screwed other things up on this little Samsung Tab A also.

just the fact that it WILL save to SD card proves that it CAN. it's the update & the way it screwed with the system workings that's the problem.

wish there was a way to turn back the clock, but from what I've seen, there's no way. highly irritating & makes me want to buy no more samsungs, or at the very least, make sure I DE line each & every update (like I learned to do with all iPads after the 1st one).

I know this is old, but others might run into the same problem if their device does a nougat update. (my little Tab A did recently & I've had numerous problems since then, including the exact same thing with the unable to save to sd card error - when it worked perfectly before)

sorry, I DO NOT believe it's a problem with the card. happened right after the update, which changed pretty much everything, & made some things unusable.

hopefully my latest thing fixed this problem. I went into the settings/storage.. to where I could click on SD card itself (not on the photos etc area) & to where it had the "unmount" option. I unmounted, & then mounted... then I went back to options within the camera app & changed the settings back to sd card (which would act like it was sticking earlier, but wouldn't as soon as I tried taking a photo). then I took a couple photos & never got the "unable to..." error.

hope that helps anyone else doing a search for a solution for this problem even as late as 2017.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. You can turn the clock back - SamMobile Firmwares. Back up, flash the last firmware, then restore.

2. Unless you root, the device will ask you if it should update about 15 times - then it will update without asking. If you root, you can disable the updater app, or you can just let it update, and the update will "fail" as soon as it sees that the device is rooted (about 25% of the way through).

K Supreme

Feb 25, 2021
Visit site
FIXED!!

Just Unmount and Mount the SD card virtually.

Go to Settings - Device Care - Storage - Advanced - Tap on SD card - then Tap the 'Unmount' below the screen. It should change to 'Mount' after a while, then tap it again to mount your SD card. Let me know it works for you!.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol