new class action lawsuit filed for owners of S6, S7, S7 edge and Note 5 due to fire/explosion

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
new class action lawsuit filed for owners of S6, S7, S7 edge and Note 5 due to fire/explosion

Folsom lawyer files lawsuit against Samsung over S6, S7, Note 5 phones | The Sacramento Bee

finally someone willing to fight for affected owners of those phones, instead of letting Samsung bury the facts.

caution: this is NOT an endorsement of the attorney, the firm, or the lawsuit....
but if you're like the dozens who have the affected phones, more power to you
because you'll no longer be ignored... (unlike the Note 7 owners)

ShinyTop

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I use wireless charging almost exclusively unless I am in my car. I think wanting bigger batteries and charging them back in brief time frame will inevitably lead to phones overheating. For those who cannot make it a day replaceable batts are the answer. For me I had a wireless charger everywhere I was going to sit for a while so did not have to worry about fast charging.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
not as many as the Note 7.... but dozens of S7 and Note5 were still in documented cases of fire. (at least according to fire and police reports)
Then why weren't these cases brought up before the N7 recall? Seems like that's something that people would want to report and bring media attention to as quickly as possible rather than waiting for a massive recall of a totally different device some time later.Those other devices have been out a while now. *shrugs*

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This really looks like a frivolous lawsuit for the lawyers to do a cash grab.

The devices in question have been out for a long time and sold in such large quantities that any number of those effected by this are unfortuntaely likely not caused by failed devices, or part of a unfortuante reasonable battery failure rate.

I am sure that isn't what those people would like to hear, but if this suite gets anywehre we might as well sue every manufacture that makes a device with a battery. I guarentee every device that uses rechargable batteries has had a battery explode in it at some point in the life of the device manufacturing.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
exactly, yet another case of lawyers getting rich.
Big business has to defend its self which pays their lawyers more money and prices of devices go up.

anon(10057381)

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
exactly, yet another case of lawyers getting rich.
Big business has to defend its self which pays their lawyers more money and prices of devices go up.

so you are suggesting that the dozens of S7 and Note5 owners with documented fire just let it go without any compensation whatsoever?

Mike Corrieri

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Yes? You really believe it should be on the consumer? Just because they weren't recalled?

That's missing the point entirely. They are responsible, and there are some serious defects in the phones.

But here is how it works.

if the Number of products affected x the cost in legal and replacement fees + the product perception damage to the company > cost of recalling all of said model product, the recall happens.

So just because they didn't recall that model, and there isn't much damage to samsung's reputation from them being defective, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

All of these phones have defective regulator circuits, which are overcharging the batteries, which is dangerous and can explode. There should be a voltage clamping circuit controlled by a thermistor, which would completely remove the problem. Like many other phones use.

Being supportive of Samsung ignoring the problem on a mass scale, and just dealing with the individual lawsuits, until it is a big enough issue for them to do a recall, is a suspicious position for any consumer to have.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Recalls are nice - owners end up getting "gift certificates" for a few dollars, while attorneys retire on the proceeds. One owner, physically harmed by a defective phone, suing the company, can recover as much as an attorney leading a class action suit. (Multiply that by a few dozen owners, and Samsung will be owned by a few dozen hurt customers.)

Mike Corrieri

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
And for the record:

All of this is because samsung upped the screens on these phones to UHD, causing shorter battery life, and didn't want to re-engineer the cases to allow for battery replacement (like an LG) but instead opted to remove the aforementioned battery-charge throttling, charging the batteries right at the edge and slightly over their specifications, making our phones potential fire-bombs.

One bad engineering decision followed by another makes them liable, not us. All of it is textbook manufacturing defect.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes? You really believe it should be on the consumer? Just because they weren't recalled?

That's missing the point entirely. They are responsible, and there are some serious defects in the phones.

What are you talking about? Millions of these phones are out there, your referencing a dozen or couple dozen instances across several product lines and you call it "some serious defects" Are you kidding me. Serious Defects?

I wont argue that a manufacturing glitch or defective part can be in a phone, especially when mass produced on this scale, add to it the consumer being allowed to buy a cheap aftermarket charger that may or may not have sub part parts or be electronically sound, add to that the ability for the consumer to buy cheap low quality replacement batteries and you are asking for a few dozen phones to catch fire.
Crappy replacement battery plus cheap charger and maybe add a nice heavy duty case which also keeps heat in and bam thermal runaway.

I work in the phone repair / refurbishment industry and ive seen plenty of users destroy phones and seen a few come in with charred data ports because of buying the cheapest product they can find. It amazes me how someone will spend 600 bucks on a phone then plug it into their car charger or home charger they got for 2 bucks because they were to cheap to buy something better quality.

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying they shouldn't sue. I'm just concerned about the timing of when they finally decided to sue. I hadn't heard of any defects pertaining to the other phones until the fiasco with the note 7 happened.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Me. And Samsung obviously. Me because a small number of jerks are going to make phones cost more and take resources away from Samsung that could be used to make future phones.

Hahaha....Yeah Samsung is in trouble now... Guess I won't be getting that S8 after all lol.

In the great voice of Morgan Freeman... "good luck".

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
so you are suggesting that the dozens of S7 and Note5 owners with documented fire just let it go without any compensation whatsoever?
Fire is documented yes. But who caused it? Half of the US Note7 fire cases were found to be fraudulent. Then we have users who use non Samsung accessories. That Galaxy Core that exploded on a kid in NY? Used a third party non Samsung battery, so can't be blamed for them.

Then we have people using other non-Samsung quick chargers.

This is just on the consumers, when less than 1% of items were involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer