I had problems with camera distortion on my galaxy s6, especially with the front camera, and the rear camera photos somehow looked airbrushed. I did turn the beauty effect off. I read that it is because of wide lenses. My s6 was stolen a while ago so now I'm buying a new phone,and i am afraid of the same problem,also because i read that s7 has even wider lenses. I would like to know do you experience this on your s7,do your photos look distorted,for example your face longer and narrow? Especially do the videos turn out normal, because I do a lot of filming?
    11-06-2016 04:33 PM
    You have to make sure the camera is parallel to whatever you're trying to photograph; otherwise, this will happen. It can be a bit challenging at times.
    11-07-2016 07:26 AM
    I had problems with camera distortion on my galaxy s6, especially with the front camera, and the rear camera photos somehow looked airbrushed. I did turn the beauty effect off. I read that it is because of wide lenses. My s6 was stolen a while ago so now I'm buying a new phone,and i am afraid of the same problem,also because i read that s7 has even wider lenses. I would like to know do you experience this on your s7,do your photos look distorted,for example your face longer and narrow? Especially do the videos turn out normal, because I do a lot of filming?
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by distortion, because you mention two separate things: "looked airbrushed" and "faces longer and narrow."

Perspective distortion (in which the face is narrower and nose is bigger and wider) typically results when using any wide angle lens. The Note 7 had a software feature to reduce that, so that might get added to the S7 when they upgrade the S7 to Android 7. But as it is now, the S7 is no better than the S6 with regard to perspective distortion with portraits. However, the wider perspective has benefits for other types of shots.

As with any wide angle lens, you can reduce the perspective distortion in portraits by taking the picture from further away and then cropping. But that has its own trade offs.
    11-07-2016 08:44 AM
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by distortion, because you mention two separate things: "looked airbrushed" and "faces longer and narrow."

Perspective distortion (in which the face is narrower and nose is bigger and wider) typically results when using any wide angle lens. The Note 7 had a software feature to reduce that, so that might get added to the S7 when they upgrade the S7 to Android 7. But as it is now, the S7 is no better than the S6 with regard to perspective distortion with portraits. However, the wider perspective has benefits for other types of shots.

As with any wide angle lens, you can reduce the perspective distortion in portraits by taking the picture from further away and then cropping. But that has its own trade offs.
    The software correction is under the shape correction toggle in the camera settings for the front camera, or under the Beauty Face toggle on the selfie camera.

The beauty face styling for the selfie cam is a software issue on Samsung's end. It's way too soft even with it on a plain setting, hope they fix this in a future update
    11-08-2016 09:57 PM