S7E vs Pixel XL by Android Authority

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I love that the S7 Edge can still go toe to toe with flagships released this fall. That speaks well of this phone and those that invested in it.

Great job done by Samsung. Saved me a lot of cash.

popkurn611

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I tried the pixel xl and it lasted two days, went right back to my trusty S7E. So much more bang for your buck, now let's get Grace ui and I'll be a very happy camper!!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm sure the Pixel is a very good phone. Personally, just like the Note 7, I'm glad I waited out the hype and stuck with my S7 Edge.

Google Assistant aside, there is nothing the Pixel can do that my Edge can't.

The next upgrade for me, needs to be a significant upgrade.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I watched the review yesterday. He mentioned all the things I had been thinking in my head.

I think the biggest advantage S7 has on the pixel is the design.

The biggest advantage Pixel has on the s7 is the software updates.

Note that I didn't say software because Samsung has all the software features of Nougat and more. Always on display and wireless charging is just a couple of examples.

To me, design matters. If a company takes time out and invest greatly in designing a product I'll be happy to pay for it.

Secondly, like the person above mentioned that if the S7 edge gets android 7 it will be standing right against the Pixel in the software department as well. Of course Pixel is smoother and more consistent. But this is the only place where Samsung makes a tiny compromise. Samsung is pretty smooth and consistent as well. But of course not as the Pixel.

So all in all, it depends on what you need.
Samsung has
Design
Software features
Hardware features

Pixel has
Software consistency

Having said all that, I think no matter how good the S8 will be (and oh my my it is going to be amazing), the Pixel 2 will be more amazing. It's just my prediction. To me this Pixel was just an experiment from Google to check how much people are willing to pay for Software. Hardware innovations will begin next year.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm sure the Pixel is a very good phone. Personally, just like the Note 7, I'm glad I waited out the hype and stuck with my S7 Edge.

Google Assistant aside, there is nothing the Pixel can do that my Edge can't.

The next upgrade for me, needs to be a significant upgrade.
Exactly :)

The Pixel XL is more a downgrade to me!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I watched the review yesterday. He mentioned all the things I had been thinking in my head.

Note that I didn't say software because Samsung has all the software features of Nougat and more. Always on display and wireless charging is just a couple of examples.

To me, design matters. If a company takes time out and invest greatly in designing a product I'll be happy to pay for it.

Secondly, like the person above mentioned that if the S7 edge gets android 7 it will be standing right against the Pixel in the software department as well. Of course Pixel is smoother and more consistent. But this is the only place where Samsung makes a tiny compromise. Samsung is pretty smooth and consistent as well. But of course not as the Pixel.

Samsung has
Design
Software features
Hardware features

Pixel has
Software consistency

Having said all that, I think no matter how good the S8 will be (and oh my my it is going to be amazing), the Pixel 2 will be more amazing. It's just my prediction. To me this Pixel was just an experiment from Google to check how much people are willing to pay for Software. Hardware innovations will begin next year.
Don't under estimate the software experience. I am a Samsung girl to the core, but the Pixel is absolutely faster and smoother at every single task... Every single time. The camera and the screen are more pleasing to me.. I have both the Pixel and the s7e and had the note 7... The Pixel is better at everything. I personally don't care about the design anymore, or the bells and whistles because all of those things were what got in the way of my Samsung phones running well. I had no idea how well Android could actually run until I got the Pixel. I am only considering going back to an n5 simply because of that damn S-pen. I have until Sunday to decide. (will need to return to BB)

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I fear it will be too large to use one handed or even carry comfortably
I have girl hands and am fine. The display can be sized down for one-handed use too.

However, if you want a substantial display in a petite body the S7e is a good option.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Samsung has
Design
Software features
Hardware features

Pixel has
Software consistency

For the unpopular opinion: I think you make a lot of good points, but this is a highly subjective set of stuff going on. For what I prefer in devices, even with the "chin" the Pixel XL is much better designed (I prefer metal over glass, on screen buttons vs off, rear fps vs front, no logos on the front, etc). Pixel is ahead on security, audio, software, camera, VR, is more resistant to obsolescence, has better storage options, battery life, etc. From my list of preferences, the S7 Edge is ahead on water/dust resistance, having a better display and availability - as in being able to purchase it from more than one carrier.

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Think of what Samsung and Google could do if they teamed up on a Pixel device. It will never happen, but combining Samsung's ability to design and build devices with Google's software, updates, etc. would theoretically lead to a really great device. Neither company will allow that partnership to happen and even if they did, they would probably get in the way of each other like they did when they teamed up for their half-baked Nexus phone several years ago.

It will be interesting (at least to me) to see if Google stays with HTC. HTC has had some good devices, but they always seem to be held back by some issue (cameras, connectivity, etc.). Look at the various issues being reported over on the Pixel forums. They are similar to the issues HTC has had in the past. It will be interesting to see if they can be fixed by software updates or if the various connectivity and other issues are related to the hardware or manufacturing.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Think of what Samsung and Google could do if they teamed up on a Pixel device. It will never happen, but combining Samsung's ability to design and build devices with Google's software, updates, etc. would theoretically lead to a really great device. Neither company will allow that partnership to happen and even if they did, they would probably get in the way of each other like they did when they teamed up for their half-baked Nexus phone several years ago.

It will be interesting (at least to me) to see if Google stays with HTC. HTC has had some good devices, but they always seem to be held back by some issue (cameras, connectivity, etc.). Look at the various issues being reported over on the Pixel forums. They are similar to the issues HTC has had in the past. It will be interesting to see if they can be fixed by software updates or if the various connectivity and other issues are related to the hardware or manufacturing.
Why do you say it will never happen???

Samsung happily built 2 Nexus phones and a Nexus tablet in the past.

A Galaxy Pixel is not a farfetched idea, but expect it to be VERY expensive.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
If Samsung could make the next Pixel and it include Samsung Pay, mannnn, I'd be all over it. I enjoy being able to pay wherever with just my phone so for that reason, I'll probably never leave Samsung. It's so much more secure. I even use Samsung Pay at the pump just in case there's a card skimmer. I would have tried a Pixel as a secondary phone if it hadn't been so expensive or at least had the option to annual upgrade on Verizon. Instead, I went back to my S7 edge.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol