S7E vs Pixel XL by Android Authority

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the point about the pixel as opposed to the nexus is that Google makes it. Yes we all know this one was manufactured by htc but in essence it is a Google designed phone. So if Samsung build one in the future it'll still be Google designed and however they want it to be. Potentially with no similarities to a galaxy or note

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the point about the pixel as opposed to the nexus is that Google makes it. Yes we all know this one was manufactured by htc but in essence it is a Google designed phone. So if Samsung build one in the future it'll still be Google designed and however they want it to be. Potentially with no similarities to a galaxy or note

Correct, HTC is just the factory here.

Jaycemiskel

Trusted Member
Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Are you saying that Samsung phones are more secure than Google's or that Samsung Pay is more secure than Android Pay?
Oh, nah I don't think Samsung phones are more secure. I'm sure Google has that title. I don't know how Android Pay is compared to Samsung Pay, my guess is they're about the same. I'm saying Samsung Pay is so much more secure than using your actual card. I'm sure Android Pay is too, but you can't use that at the gas pump. With all these skimmers around, I'd prefer they not get my actual card number. Sure I could just cancel the card and get a new one, but I have so many automated payments and stuff set up that it'd be a nightmare to redo them all. This keeps me safer.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Touche.

It's actually sad that the current Pixel range look more like iPhone-Clones, where Google could have asked HTC to get Curved displays from Samsung or LG, and make something truly outstanding.

I guess the design of the Pixel range is telling of where Google are trying to go with the Pixel range and Android, and I personally am not a fan, they are trying exceptionally hard to be Apple, where the Nexus phones were very much anti-Apple and pro-Heavy User/Modder /Mobile Tech Enthusiast.

That is not where Samsung are trying to go. Now more than ever Samsung are very anti-Apple Cloning (design wise), and are setting themselves far apart with the curved displays, single sensor Cameras, more compact design of phones with higher display ratios etc... Even the whole 'Coral Blue' colour while Apple are championing 'Jet Black'.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Oh, nah I don't think Samsung phones are more secure. I'm sure Google has that title. I don't know how Android Pay is compared to Samsung Pay, my guess is they're about the same. I'm saying Samsung Pay is so much more secure than using your actual card. I'm sure Android Pay is too, but you can't use that at the gas pump. With all these skimmers around, I'd prefer they not get my actual card number. Sure I could just cancel the card and get a new one, but I have so many automated payments and stuff set up that it'd be a nightmare to redo them all. This keeps me safer.

Gotcha, thanks for the clarification

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Correct, HTC is just the factory here.
No HTC designers or engineers neers were consulted about "what is possible"? I doubt that very, very much. They built it. They had tremendous input on the design. HTC has never figured out some if the things Moto or Samsung have. Their factories won't have the capabilities to build a Samsung designed phone nor a truly 100% Google designed phone. I'm sure designs shot back and forth between Google and HTC many times.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
No HTC designers or engineers neers were consulted about "what is possible"? I doubt that very, very much. They built it. They had tremendous input on the design. HTC has never figured out some if the things Moto or Samsung have. Their factories won't have the capabilities to build a Samsung designed phone nor a truly 100% Google designed phone. I'm sure designs shot back and forth between Google and HTC many times.
This! It could explain the bulky design, HTC are legendary for large bulky slabs, although you rest assured that when you buy an HTC you are buying top quality, those phones are built like tanks and last forever, I nearly was an HTC guy but got a Galaxy S2 instead of a HTC Sensation XE back in 2011, the quality of their phones is amazing, IMO.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This! It could explain the bulky design, HTC are legendary for large bulky slabs, although you rest assured that when you buy an HTC you are buying top quality, those phones are built like tanks and last forever, I nearly was an HTC guy but got a Galaxy S2 instead of a HTC Sensation XE back in 2011, the quality of their phones is amazing, IMO.
Yup... Like would anybody really design a half glass back on purpose? Screams collaboration.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yup... Like would anybody really design a half glass back on purpose? Screams collaboration.
Checkout the HTC X9's rear, it had a thinner glass at the top:
228acecee171551a941f2a3f8e7abe45.jpg

2dec2c965c128831581a1dc64516ee84.jpg

And then there's the HTC 10, with the large top and bottom bezels, if anything, Google allowed HTC to Design the Pixel and Pixel XL:
6c2745857cd87763ab886ba33ca97387.jpg

Gdwheel

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Every time I used the Pixel XL it seemed like a large HTC 10 with the fingerprint reader on the back. HTC has mostly had phones with sturdy, decent designs. I was talking more about radios, antennas, etc. The camera on the Pixel is a Sony camera I believe, so there should be fewer issues with it than HTC had in the past, although people were getting a halo effect in their photos.

T48

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Touche.

It's actually sad that the current Pixel range look more like iPhone-Clones,

I guess the design of the Pixel range is telling of where Google are trying to go with the Pixel range and Android, and I personally am not a fan, they are trying exceptionally hard to be Apple, where the Nexus phones were very much anti-Apple and pro-Heavy User/Modder /Mobile Tech Enthusiast.

My interpretation is that Google was targeting iPhone with a manipulated HTC 10 targeting mainstream users. Assuming they are seeing higher returns in sales going mainstream vs tech enthusiast. If they attempted to make a Google version of a Galaxy S7 or 8 for example via an alt mfg., then they would be going after one of their own oem's.

The iPhone's major draw over the years(my opinion) has been more for the software experience instead of overall bells & whistles of the actual device. Which appears to be the idea Google is going for the Pixel. As well as being able to have their own device for Google home. Assuming the home controls are yet another lock with customer retention. Apple was showcasing that in Sept & thinking Samsung was pushing that with the launch of the S7 series as well back in Feb.?

akin_t

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
I love that the S7 Edge can still go toe to toe with flagships released this fall. That speaks well of this phone and those that invested in it.

Great job done by Samsung. Saved me a lot of cash.
I mean, they've got the same internals mostly. Why is that surprising?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I mean, they've got the same internals mostly. Why is that surprising?
The S7e was released this year, I would expect it to go toe to toe and even beat other flagships released in the same year. Phone tech changes quickly but not quite THAT quickly. Samsung really paid attention when the media complained about their cheapish looking designs a couple of years ago. Now they, arguably, have the most gorgeous phones available with an incredible feature set. They do well, and even with the Note 7 hiccup they'll continue to do well.

I'm still honeymooning with my V20s but my silver S7e is one gorgeous, fast, water-resistant, wireless charging, Samsung Pay-having, delicious display rock'n, great camera weilding, awesome battery life hav'n piece of kit. ...and it does feel great in the hand.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Quite frankly, a lot of this boils down to subjective preferences.

Do you value lifestyle features or do you value fast software updates?

For me, I would pick the S7 edge, mainly because it already has a lot of features (many of which I use on a regular basis) and it has also received security patches in a somewhat timely manner. Not as fast as the Pixel, but it does at least get them in a timely manner, as in the same month when the patch is released.

That said, there are people out there who might prefer the Pixel, either due to its software or maybe its use of non-proprietary fast charging or people just want to experience a Google phone. That's totally fine. It's why we have choice, something that we tend to not embrace as often as we probably should.

Gotta love that choice factor, which is why I always say "Buy what you want".

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm totally fine with the finding that one phone being awesome doesn't make any other device less awesome than it already was.

BoogieNY

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
I had two Note 7's after several years with a Note 4...the Note 7 is my ultimate but I decided I didn't want to have my pocket explode so after two 7's I went with an Edge and it just doesn't blow my skirt up. Waiting on a Pixel XL. For me, I'm happy about the unlimited photo/video storage, the smoothness, and the non-Edge design. Some people love the Edge's (literally) cutting edge design, but I've had three phones with an Edge design and all three have featured melting, peeing screen protectors. I'm going to miss wireless charging but that's pretty much it. I have Dropbox so between that and the photo/video storage I won't really miss the SD card slot (ordered a 128GB). Waterproofness? Nope, not really.

I think the camera might be a tiny advantage for Samsung but once Google implements OIC that won't be an issue. And I'm not super thrilled with the semi-decent reception I'm getting with the Edge (the Note 7's was definitely better).

If the Pixel XL blows I'm pretty much going back to my Note 4 and will do all of this over again next year with the Note/Edge 8 and/or the Pixel XL II.

Unless something I own blows up in the meantime, of course ;-)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar