s7 edge 7.0 beta thread

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I have been using the beta since yesterday and first impression is pretty good. I have some "lag" opening a few things, particularly the app manager seems slow to respond. I actually prefer the old version of always on as the night clock on the edge would show the alarm time I had set while this update shows the date instead. As far as I can tell there is no way change what appears on this. An option to choose what information is shown on the night clock beyond just choosing right or left edge would be nice.

The only compatibility issue I have run across is with my preferred Go products: I use Go Launcher which is working fine, some of the transitions options aren't there anymore but that is certainly not a big deal. I have experienced no problems [yet] with GoSMS which is good as I use that for my default messenger.

Go Locker is working fine, though it's a good thing I had my lock screen security set to none because the option to change that won't work as my phone refuses to recognize my fingerprint and I have no earthly clue what my back up password is. If anybody has a clue how to recover it please let me know!

Go Weather was working fine until I installed an update lat night, now the widget won't load, I get a "GoWeather unexpected error" notification every time. As I figure this is a Go Weather issue after their update I have contacted the developer to make them aware of the problem.
Did you pay for ad removal? One of the things that sent me away from Go years ago was the unnecessarily intrusive permissions and the full screen obstructive ads.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Now I notice, again on Verizon, whenever I go into the Beta app I get the option to register. Previously when is go into the app I got the option to deregister. Kinda weird...

That's exactly what happened to me. Did you ever get the beta download? I didn't.

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nougat ... waste of time?

This is a very poor list of the actual features of Nougat. Here's a short list of the improvements:

Seamless updates
Better security (Major upgrade here on multiple fronts, including file based encryption and directboot)
UI improvements
Much better battery life
DayDream (for devices that meet minimum qualifications)
Improvements to multi-tasking, including native split screen
Drag & Drop Text + Major improvements to the ability to add content through the keyboard
Improved notifications (UI)
Quick replies from notifications
Notification controls
Better Quick Settings
Major improvements to settings UI
Better data saver controls
Major improvements to accessibility features
Improved keyboard, including more functionality for multiple languages
Display customization options
Device migration improvements and major improvements to Android Backup
Huge improvements to JIT and ART

Think I ran out of the most obvious things, but most of it was under the hood, makings either easier, faster, smoother or more intuitive through UI cues, etc.

Or did I misunderstand and you're saying that Samsung's version of Nougat isn't up to par, rather than Nougat itself?

Also if you double on notification aod it takes you right to the app you double tapped on and after swipe and or unlock

mxrider821

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Idk about all you guys but any new features or changes are usually ALWAYS accepted by me...

Oh yah and more of Project Butter & Better Doze is also nicccce 😆😎

Roman Akert

Jun 25, 2016
Visit site

This is a very poor list of the actual features of Nougat. Here's a short list of the improvements:

Seamless updates
Better security (Major upgrade here on multiple fronts, including file based encryption and directboot)
UI improvements
Much better battery life
DayDream (for devices that meet minimum qualifications)
Improvements to multi-tasking, including native split screen
Drag & Drop Text + Major improvements to the ability to add content through the keyboard
Improved notifications (UI)
Quick replies from notifications
Notification controls
Better Quick Settings
Major improvements to settings UI
Better data saver controls
Major improvements to accessibility features
Improved keyboard, including more functionality for multiple languages
Display customization options
Device migration improvements and major improvements to Android Backup
Huge improvements to JIT and ART

Think I ran out of the most obvious things, but most of it was under the hood, makings either easier, faster, smoother or more intuitive through UI cues, etc.

Or did I misunderstand and you're saying that Samsung's version of Nougat isn't up to par, rather than Nougat itself?

You haven't.

There are a lot of 'major' and 'huge" in your listing.

Personally, some of those, such as 'improvements' to UI are at best 'minor' and a few questionable at best.

Your 'much better' battery life has not been established yet either.

'Seemless update' what is that?

Device migration improvements??

The improvements I wanted to see have either been culled by the developers, probably because of manufacturer pressure or not been implemented at all. The biggie, battery life, well there is no conclusive evidence out there yet that this has indeed improved.

So, all in all, to me this seems more like minor stuff they could have introduced to MM through updates than a new OS.

Like I said, I await the official release and evaluate again.

Matty

Q&A Team
Mar 15, 2014
Visit site

Because Nougat is more of an under the hood update than a looks update. Not everything that's changed has to be visible.

Agreed. Im happy with them improving battery life, improving efficiency and all the other small things to give the users a better, smoother experience. We don't need new design changes each time. That just means re-learning all the time. Generally people don't like that.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

You haven't.

There are a lot of 'major' and 'huge" in your listing.

Personally, some of those, such as 'improvements' to UI are at best 'minor' and a few questionable at best.

Your 'much better' battery life has not been established yet either.

'Seemless update' what is that?

Device migration improvements??

The improvements I wanted to see have either been culled by the developers, probably because of manufacturer pressure or not been implemented at all. The biggie, battery life, well there is no conclusive evidence out there yet that this has indeed improved.

So, all in all, to me this seems more like minor stuff they could have introduced to MM through updates than a new OS.

Like I said, I await the official release and evaluate again.

Right, so you're talking about Nougat for Samsung devices, not Nougat in general. Almost nothing on that list could have been introduced without a firmware update, and the fact that the list is enormous is a pretty good reason to draw a line in the sand and call it a new version, rather than a minor update to a prior version. They're visually similar but internally very different. But since you're only talking about this beta, rather than the actual OS itself, then we have a different conversation because OEM's don't implement all of the features available to them, and some features just aren't available to them because of the nature of OTA's versus building the device with that OS in mind. That does change the list substantially because Samsung will lack quite a few of the things that Nougat comes with. That said, it seems like you've got a particular slant to the argument that you're trying to promote and will do so based on hyperbolic opinions rather than considering arguments from others. That kinda makes for a poor conversation. So hopefully the update exceeds your expectations, but you can also just not update if you think it's waste of time.

D_Gabe

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
I haven't installed the beta yet, but I had just one little question... Did they bring the Secure Folder to the S7 Edge? It was one of my favorite and most useful features from the Note 7 I miss the most.

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Go to the XDA forum. I am on the beta 2 but never registered. There are instruction on how to install without being registered.

I was going to but when I was checking for a couple days after I registered for the beta I got an update that I thought was the beta but it was the October security update instead. Someone told me I couldn't install the xda update after the security update.

kbennett65

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Did you pay for ad removal? One of the things that sent me away from Go years ago was the unnecessarily intrusive permissions and the full screen obstructive ads.

In response to question about Go products: Oh yeah, I have the Super VIP [all features plus free themes] for all the products. This is why it is so frustrating. I've paid quite a bit to have all the products ad free and to have one suddenly not work is annoying. I downloaded GoWeather EX test and that version recognizes my premium account but won't load any widgets making it fairly useless as far as I am concerned and the regular GoWeather app will not recognize my premium account. Previously when this happened after an update I would click on the link to upgrade and a screen popped up activating the premium features, now clicking on the upgrade does nothing. It will pop up a screen briefly to pay using google pay or get jar free. I can click on the pay option then the screen just disappears and nothing happens.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Are there any examples of devices going from MM to Nougat and having "much better battery life"? I know that is NOT the case with the 6P. 7.0 was generally a disaster for battery life on that device for folks that upgraded. 7.0.1 seems to have at least brought it closer to MM battery life, but certainly not better, let alone "much better". I own a 6P, so paid attention to those forums/complaints on that device. But I've not paid any attention to other phones that have been eligible to do that update from MM. Would love links to forums where the switch has improved battery life on the same device.

That was the biggest reason I never took the Nougat update on mine. The other changes were just not compelling enough to me to risk the issues I saw so many others struggling with. I'm sure I would have gone eventually, once Nougat stabilized and Google fixed the issues. But I bought an S7E, so the 6P lives in a drawer now. Battery life is excellent on the S7E, so I'm hoping the Nougat update on it, when it comes, does not mess that up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000