Content Blockers / Ad Blockers.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys.

I'm using the native Samsung Browser simply because for me it's stable and just works.

I've been looking at Ad blocking apps.

When I used an iPhone I used AdGuard which was Ok.

Not liking it so much on Android as it does not appear to hsve a Whitelist option and is affecting some sites I visit.

The Developer Team advises it's not so good in regards to the mobile version and advise to side load another version but I'm not wanting to download something away from the PlayStore. Just my preference.

I've been reading up on ABP ~ AdBlockPlus as an alternative.

So just after people opinions and views and experiences with using a Content Blocker or not using one at all ?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I use AdGuard and don't have any issues with it. I just disable it if certain sites are problematic.

You might want to try Firefox as your browser. The same desktop extensions are available in Firefox for Android. I have uBlock Origin for desktop Firefox and Firefox for Android, and it works well.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I've been using Adguard because it blocks ads in apps as well as any browser. Adguard does have an option to whitelist any website in case you have problems or want to support the site by viewing ads, it's in the app settings.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Can you please explain where in the app settings as I couldn't find it.

This is the one through the PlayStore.

Attachments

• IMG_0841.jpg
    IMG_0841.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 40

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Can you please explain where in the app settings as I couldn't find it.

This is the one through the PlayStore.
Download the real apk from adguard.com/apk Google doesn't allow apps that can block ads in apps in the play store so you have to go to the adguard site.

Once installed, hit settings and then go to whitelist. You simply enter a domain name such as facebook.com or whatever.

Screenshot_20161114-122542.jpg

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm just a little wary of downloading items away from Google PlayStore.
You need to be wary if you're downloading it from weird sources. In this scenario, you're downloading it from the developer himself. What you're saying is like you'd think pizza from the delivery guy is safer than pizza from the store itself.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
You need to be wary if you're downloading it from weird sources. In this scenario, you're downloading it from the developer himself. What you're saying is like you'd think pizza from the delivery guy is safer than pizza from the store itself.

Yes I like to stay safe and not sorry.

I'm not too fond of paying an annual fee too.

Yes a one off payment to the Developer is fair enough for the App but an annual fee ! Nope.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Well there is a free ad blocker that also blocks ads in apps but like Adguard, you have to go to the devs site to download it or through F-Droid. It's called DNS66. I tried it but honestly, it makes my phone lag just a bit. There are tons of settings and I have no idea where to even begin to try and see if I could get rid of that lag.

The only adblocker alternative besides those two, is to root the phone and install an app called Adaway through an outside repository called F-Droid. You get that by install F-Droid. F-Droid is basically a "store" more or less that simply hosts apps that Google does not allow in the play store but again, you have to be trusting.

Oddly enough, Adguard is also available on the iOS app store for just a small one time fee of about $3 or so. Even Apple allows adblocking apps now and Goggle won't because, ads are how they make the largest chunk of their revenue.

Without installing one of these two apps, you can inly install a content blocker for your Android phone that will only block ads in the browser that they choose to support and I think there are only one or two.

I installed Adblock + for Firefox years ago and it always worked.

I have my Note 5, Note 4 and Note Edge rooted just so I can uses Adaway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20