Galaxy S7 Edge WiFi Turning Off and On Repeatedly

Nic Zibelli

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
Hello! The battery percentage of my Galaxy S7 Edge has been running low at a rapid pace lately, and I think the cause is definitely the weird constant turning off and on of my WiFi. Here is a link to the screen recording I took: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=UDhwMVM0VWl6anFNR2N3LTIxU0pTOFh0dURSb3h3 . I am not touching the WiFi shortcut or the On/Off button at all, illustrated by the touch-showing setting. I have tried restarting my phone and messing with the WiFi settings, but nothing is working. Please help!

DJS_T

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site
My S7 Edge started doing the exact same thing 2 days ago!

If I manually turn WiFi off once, it gets stuck in this infinite loop and won't stay turned on or off. The only way I've found to combat it so far is a cache partition clear, but this only fixes it until the next time WiFi is turned off.

As a couple of devices have started doing it at the same time, could we assume it's a borked software update? Anyone able to shed any more light on it?

Chris5626

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Having the same issue with my S7 Edge plus. At first I thought I was just forgetting to turn wifi on when at home and off when out but I've seen the button in the settings shortcut menu turn on and off by itself.

GoLfWRC

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Me too, having this issue since last update on my S7. I believe this is a firmware issue. (In additional, not only S7 but also J7 Prime is having the same kind of problem)

We may need to wait for another update then.

Cam Roland

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Well there does need to be an update but I found a temporary fix for my G7 Edge. Go to Settings>Privacy and safety>Location>Improve Accuracy> and Disable Wi-Fi Scanning. It worked for me, if it doesn't for you then I have no idea.

Giannis_Korakidis

Nov 20, 2016
Visit site
Well there does need to be an update but I found a temporary fix for my G7 Edge. Go to Settings>Privacy and safety>Location>Improve Accuracy> and Disable Wi-Fi Scanning. It worked for me, if it doesn't for you then I have no idea.

I can confirm that the above fix worked for me. I am testing this for 30 mins and all is ok. No turning on and off until now. I too believe that a bad software update may have caused the problem. Hope it helps you too.

DJS_T

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site

Can confirm that this fixed it for me too.

Nic Zibelli

Nov 17, 2016
Visit site

Thank you so much for your suggestion! It's working properly again. :)

Shadowhawk

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

I noticed this on 11/15 along with a faster than expected battery usage and the phone getting really hot on the wifi at work. I didn't seem able to stay connected, which matches with the on-off visual of the toggle switching.

i have a Verizon Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge that I got in April, right about when they came out.

I did a video and phone chat with a Samsung agent via their support app, and disabling the Wi-Fi scanning is where our discussion eventually led.

i did that, and it is no longer a problem.

Still and all...I feel like that's not how that feature is supposed to work, so it seems that's just a workaround for a bug.

Thanks!
=> Shadowhawk

tennislvr8

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
This happens to me too. It says my WiFi connection is weak. That has never been an issue for me before this phone. I tired this and it didn't fix it.

zeek_11

Oct 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm so grateful for this forum. Had this issue on my S5 and my brand new S7. Was driving me crazy. This fix worked for me as well. So happy!!!

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I hate to say it, but if you've received the update and there has been no solution found, a factory reset is probably your only option.

Ironically, this is the first update on my S7 Edge I didn't have to do a factory reset. However, I do have a problem I have not yet solved. My phone gets extremely hot now. Before the update, my phone, under stress, would become "warm." Now, it is generating tremendous heat and I really don't want to perform a fourth factory reset.

Is anyone else experiencing excessive heat?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret