Edge screen uses?

neemo6

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up this phone and not really sure what the purpose is of the edge screen. The edge panels is something that can be on any other phone, just a menu off the the side of the screen. The night clock is the only somewhat decent use that the edge screen is useful for me. Is there any other uses for the edge screen?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi! I think you can also add your favourite or most-frequently-used contacts there as well. There are a few good uses for the "edge" screen. :p

Achilles_

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I was going to buy the regular s7 but then I realized the s7 edge had a better battery. Worth it for me! I'm getting used to the edge, I'm kind of excited to see what apps work with it.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hi! I think you can also add your favourite or most-frequently-used contacts there as well. There are a few good uses for the "edge" screen. :p
I think what he meant was, the curved edge even necessary? The swipe to show a menu from the sides can be done on a flat screened phone. Almost every Samsung from the S3 was able to do it (that's how you get to the multiwindow panel then, tab on the edge. The Tab 4 even does it with a swipe from the edge of the screen). The edge features can be had on a flat screened phone.

Basically, it boils down to aesthetics and trying to fit a bigger display in a smaller form factor.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think what he meant was, the curved edge even necessary? The swipe to show a menu from the sides can be done on a flat screened phone. Almost every Samsung from the S3 was able to do it (that's how you get to the multiwindow panel then, tab on the edge. The Tab 4 even does it with a swipe from the edge of the screen). The edge features can be had on a flat screened phone.

Basically, it boils down to aesthetics and trying to fit a bigger display in a smaller form factor.

That's a good point. I suppose some would argue that this "edge" part of the screen is either redundant or unnecessary; but I may be a little biased here because the Edge series is my favourite subsection of the Samsung line. :) I like the uniqueness of it. My mom has the S6 Edge and so I get to play with it a lot. Fun! Lol.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one to never use the edge part of the screen? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com
As I said in the above posting, it's nice to do some things without having to close out what you were doing first and when done doing what you chose from the edge, you go back to what you were doing

Without or without the edge, you never need to "close out what you were doing first and when done..."

Instead of swiping the edge and picking an app/shortcut, you can press the home key and pick an app/shortcut...and then go back to what you were doing. It's the same thing with or without the edge.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
You are correct, but you are having to push the home button and tap the app you were using. Going thru the edge, when you get done doing what you used from the edge, what you were doing is still right there open on the screen, like you never left. I think its a button pushing saver, but that's me. I think the edge offers a convenience and saves a step or two, but again that's me.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc