So I have a Galaxy S7 Edge through ATT. Due to the Note 7 debacle I was able to get a S7 Edge and not having to owe anything. So basically the phone is paid off and I can get ATT to unlock it if I want. My question is what are the benefits? I understand if I travel over seas or if I want to use a different carrier. Do I get updates at the same time unlocked S7's that were not carrier locked? That would be the main reason I would get it unlocked. Just wondering.
    11-27-2016 06:18 PM
    Just the freedom to use it on whatever carrier you want. Most updates won't be pushed to your phone unless it has an AT&T SIM in it - although it doesn't always have to be an active SIM.
    11-27-2016 06:29 PM
    No updates or anything extra. Just simple unlock is done so that you can use a different carrier or travel abroad and use a local carrier freely.
    11-27-2016 07:18 PM
    When I purchased my S7 edge phone on ebay it was stated as unlocked prior to the unlocked phones being offered. When I got the phone it was designed for Sprint as I found out by the serial number. AT&T worked fine but Verizon even though it worked you could not send out messages. You could receive msgs okay but that was it. I then went back to AT&T. My problem is that it keeps wanting me to activate the phone through Sprint. I wrote Samsung about this and there is no way to remove the msg. I just ignore it and loaded in the info for AT&T. My phone will not update until Sprint does its update but other than that I have no other problem. Lesson learned I guess.
    11-29-2016 11:25 AM