12-01-2016 03:20 PM
60 123
tools
    I've tried so many times to like swiftkey due to all the positive comments about it but it is just laggy and has some real issues when it comes to things like trying to write an email address for example. It can drive me mad!

Currently between the Samsung keyboard and Google for me. Like the look of the Samsung one and the dedicated number row but Google is more accurate I think
    danno4114 likes this.
    11-28-2016 10:46 AM
    Hi,

I've tried Swiftkey in the past and it wasn't for me.
    I'm with you on this one... I've tried most of the KBs.. Swiftkey, Swype, Fleksy... the stock keyboards from LG, Samsung, etc... and usually end up coming back to the Google Keyboard on every phone I've owned. Google has been adding in quite a lot of features lately, but they didn't come at the sacrifice of speed and reliability. Swiftkey has always seemed sluggish to me, and for some odd reason, its accuracy goes into the toilet after about a week of using it and I spend as much time correcting the swipe predictions as I do typing.
    libra89 and Fret Madden like this.
    11-28-2016 11:17 AM
    I use Chrooma as it does the little things I like. It's very like Google but without doing some stupid stuff.

If I had my choice I'd love a port of the LG keyboard as it was the only one I ever seen that lets you move the space bar.
    11-28-2016 12:45 PM
    Recently switched from iPhone to Google Pixel, so I use the stock keyboard with Pixel. Didn't even think about the keyboard type until I saw your question. I guess that's one of the nice things about Android with respect to flexibility. So I checked I'm using the "Google Keyboard". I happen to like it a lot but cannot compare it to Samsung Keyboard as I haven't used it...I did use the BlackBerry Virtual Keyboard with BlackBerry 10 devices and that's a great keyboard. It can be downloaded to Android now through Google Play but you lose the haptic response which I personally really like.
    The BB10 keyboard predictions are ok when they work, but in order for it to work the first letter must be correct. Google keyboard and SwiftKey are much more forgiving, as long as you have some letters in certain positions they're both pretty good at guessing the word based on syntax and context. SwiftKey has some good themes (some are animated!) and a separate number row if desired, but the long press duration on both can be lowered to the point of making this a non-issue for some people. Swiping is better on GK but SwiftKey can actually finish a sentence or an oft-used phrase. That being said, I've come to prefer Google Keyboard for the following reasons...

I'm with you on this one... I've tried most of the KBs.. Swiftkey, Swype, Fleksy... the stock keyboards from LG, Samsung, etc... and usually end up coming back to the Google Keyboard on every phone I've owned. Google has been adding in quite a lot of features lately, but they didn't come at the sacrifice of speed and reliability. Swiftkey has always seemed sluggish to me, and for some odd reason, its accuracy goes into the toilet after about a week of using it and I spend as much time correcting the swipe predictions as I do typing.
    I started using GK after Google added themes and the ability to move the cursor with the spacebar. Google Keyboard autocorrection has improved over time whereas Leo and I both note SwiftKey predictions have deteriorated after usage. SwiftKey has a better character layout on the keyboard and better submenus for getting to the character(s) you want, but Google added some characters that aren't on the top keyboard itself to a flyout if the period key is held. If your long-press duration is low (mine is 181ms) this is pretty much instant. If you're typing more words and few characters, Google Keyboard is amazingly good and reliable. However, if you're needing numbers and symbols very often for any reason you may be better off with SwiftKey and a low long-press duration because of the layout.

do you use the stock keyboard or Google?-screenshot_2016-11-28-13-10-55.jpgdo you use the stock keyboard or Google?-screenshot_2016-11-28-13-10-11.jpg
    11-28-2016 01:32 PM
    Swiftkey, always.
    Mark8768 and adayoff like this.
    11-28-2016 07:37 PM
    Fleksy has been my favorite lately.
    11-28-2016 08:31 PM
    Fleksy has been my favorite lately.
    Shame they've given up developing it
    11-29-2016 12:32 AM
    I use SwiftKey on mine, really like it.
    Same here. SwiftKey is flawless. I used it on Note 5, Note7 and now on S7E.
    Mark8768 likes this.
    11-29-2016 01:33 AM
    I just tried SwiftKey after all the recommendations from this thread. I was using Google Keyboard before. Both have their advantages. I don't like the theme store on SwiftKey. Too many themes cost money and it's the only time the program becomes sluggish for me. Google wins in that department because you have a vast majority of free themes and able to use a personal background of your liking. However, SwiftKey key is more reliable and it's accuracy is much better than Google Keyboard. If I make a mistake with Google Keyboard and go correct it, it messes up and I basically have to delete the entire word and start over. SwiftKey doesn't seem to have this problem at all. I've decided to use SwiftKey for that reason alone.
    Mark8768 likes this.
    11-29-2016 07:45 AM
    I just tried SwiftKey after all the recommendations from this thread. I was using Google Keyboard before. Both have their advantages. I don't like the theme store on SwiftKey. Too many themes cost money and it's the only time the program becomes sluggish for me. Google wins in that department because you have a vast majority of free themes and able to use a personal background of your liking. However, SwiftKey key is more reliable and it's accuracy is much better than Google Keyboard. If I make a mistake with Google Keyboard and go correct it, it messes up and I basically have to delete the entire word and start over. SwiftKey doesn't seem to have this problem at all. I've decided to use SwiftKey for that reason alone.
    I got a ton of free themes from Swiftkey because I paid for it a long while back. It used to be a paid keyboard. Nowadays themes are how Swiftkey earns it's money. You know, Devs gotta eat. But I like the black theme on Google more. The black one on Swiftkey doesn't show the symbol accents.
    11-29-2016 07:50 AM
    I got a ton of free themes from Swiftkey because I paid for it a long while back. It used to be a paid keyboard. Nowadays themes are how Swiftkey earns it's money. You know, Devs gotta eat. But I like the black theme on Google more. The black one on Swiftkey doesn't show the symbol accents.
    I totally understand that, I just think in that department Google wins. It's taking sometime to get use to the Swiftkey layout coming from Google but I like it.
    11-29-2016 08:04 AM
    Nowadays themes are how Swiftkey earns it's money. You know, Devs gotta eat.
    Swiftkey was purchased by Microsoft a little while back... I don't think the money they make off themes ranks all that highly in their revenue portfolio.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-29-2016 08:05 AM
    I used Swiftkey. After it gets used to you, in around 3 weeks or so after seeing your patterns, you are all set.
    bullswife98 and Mark8768 like this.
    11-29-2016 05:48 PM
    Swiftkey. I won't use any other keyboard.
    11-29-2016 09:25 PM
    Swype for me
    11-29-2016 09:52 PM
    SwiftKey is my go to keyboard
    adayoff and Mark8768 like this.
    11-30-2016 12:56 AM
    SwiftKey
    11-30-2016 02:26 PM
    Swiftkey for me as well. I've been using it since I purchased my first Android phone.
    Mark8768 likes this.
    11-30-2016 03:16 PM
    Do you SwiftKey fans not mind the lag? Is everything else about it worth the trade off?
    11-30-2016 04:14 PM
    Nothing but SwiftKey
    11-30-2016 04:54 PM
    Do you SwiftKey fans not mind the lag? Is everything else about it worth the trade off?
    I am not experiencing any lag that I notice. In fact, in my experience, typing is faster than on Google Keyboard. The letters appear on the text field faster with Swiftkey due to the slow popup animation on Google Keyboard.
    adayoff likes this.
    11-30-2016 06:20 PM
    I've tried them all and Google keyboard is by far my favorite.
    11-30-2016 06:54 PM
    Swiftkey... nothing compares.
    adayoff likes this.
    11-30-2016 07:11 PM
    Either Swiftkey has really improved from the last time I tried it or I'm missing something on it.
    ffejjj likes this.
    12-01-2016 01:25 AM
    Swype holdout here...
    12-01-2016 02:48 AM
60 123