do you use the stock keyboard or Google?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Do you SwiftKey fans not mind the lag? Is everything else about it worth the trade off?
I am not experiencing any lag that I notice. In fact, in my experience, typing is faster than on Google Keyboard. The letters appear on the text field faster with Swiftkey due to the slow popup animation on Google Keyboard.

aldo82

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I am not experiencing any lag that I notice. In fact, in my experience, typing is faster than on Google Keyboard. The letters appear on the text field faster with Swiftkey due to the slow popup animation on Google Keyboard.

Do you really think the key press animation is slower on he Google keyboard than SwiftKey? I've tried SwiftKey on all of my last 4 phones and the key press animations drive me mad! They are so so slow and lag way behind. I have the switched off now on SwiftKey beta and that is better but it is still slow overall. Even the setting menu lags

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Do you really think the key press animation is slower on he Google keyboard than SwiftKey? I've tried SwiftKey on all of my last 4 phones and the key press animations drive me mad! They are so so slow and lag way behind. I have the switched off now on SwiftKey beta and that is better but it is still slow overall. Even the setting menu lags
Yup. Unless it's just me being really slower on the Google Keyboard for some weird reason. I'm vastly more accurate in Swiftkey when typing too, compared to Google. Which is IMO odd. I'm more accurate on the stock Samsung keyboard as well compared to Google.

Est_XCIV

Aug 25, 2015
Visit site
Swift key is awesome but I stopped using git because it uses battery. Heavy typing and usage of the keyboard led to swiftly showing up anywhere from 5 to 10% battery consumption for me.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Do you SwiftKey fans not mind the lag? Is everything else about it worth the trade off?

That's one of other main reasons I dump it... far too many times it seems to be like some lazy app I'm waking from a deep nap.... sluggish... typing sometimes starts to fall behind, etc. Sure it has a bunch of extra features, but at the end of the day I rarely, if ever use them and I'd rather have the reliable one that doesn't aggravate me.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site

The occasional lag isn't due to Swiftkey in my experience. It's something with Samsung's crappy TouchWiz UI. I experienced it with the stock keyboard as well. Samsung really has a lot of bugs to iron out.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The occasional lag isn't due to Swiftkey in my experience. It's something with Samsung's crappy TouchWiz UI. I experienced it with the stock keyboard as well. Samsung really has a lot of bugs to iron out.

Swiftkey has run like its missing a cylinder or two on every Nexus I've tried it on.

By the way... Swiftkey just went all free... paid themes are now free of charge. Their Microsoft overlords must have realized how foolish it was to nickle and dime the user base.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Swiftkey has run like its missing a cylinder or two on every Nexus I've tried it on.

By the way... Swiftkey just went all free... paid themes are now free of charge. Their Microsoft overlords must have realized how foolish it was to nickle and dime the user base.

Which keyboard do you use? I've tried a few others but most don't offer a number row, which I've gotten very used to and am not willing to give up.

The only other phone I've tried it on was my old HTC M9 and I didn't notice any wonky behavior. Then again, maybe it's because I'm so used to it? I did get the update today and noticed that all themes are free. That's cool. I got it so long ago that I actually paid a couple bucks for the app. It used to cost money and then a few years later, it was free and they just charged for themes. I never paid for any of the themes.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Which keyboard do you use? I've tried a few others but most don't offer a number row, which I've gotten very used to and am not willing to give up.

Google Keyboard. It doesn't have a number row, and while I'd like it, I am so used to the gestures to get the numbers, I'd rather that than lose the real estate to the extra row.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20