How do we still not have the updated AOD?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It's been months since Samsung forced me to downgrade my N7 to an S7E. How have they still not updated the AOD to the new improved one? it's just crazy. I have to turn my phone on to see if I have any actual notifications. As an aside, I just had to send my first S7E back because it wasn't wirelessly charging. So I've now effectively had a problem with every Samsung phone I've owned, even though my N7 didn't actually explode. I came from a long line of Droids and love the form and functionality of the Samsung phones, but the problems are frustrating.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Probably waiting to be updated with the Nougat one. Also, you don't have to turn your phone on... you have an LED! Yes, the AOD is useless in that regard, but you don't HAVE to turn the screen off to know that you have notifications, you have to turn it on to know where those are coming from.

Lundon44

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
I second this. The one on our Note 7's were not only brighter but more robust in terms of all notifications being shown. It's just... dull and boring on the S7.

Imagine me, I've only owned Windows Phones since Windows Mobile back in 2005. Finally decided to switch to a new platform and sold my 950XL and bought a Note 7. Only to have to return a perfect and perfectly functioning phone 6 weeks later. Now settling for the S7 Edge. While it's nice and the closest I can get to what I had, there's still so much to be missed about the Note 7.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
and also kinda unrelated... Today I got a fireproof flame retardant box via 2nd day FedEx with a note thanking me for contacting customer service to return my Note 7, which I already turned in about 7 weeks ago at a Verizon store. Way to stay on top of things Samsung

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That's actually Verizon's screw-up. Carrier version returns were handled by the carrier, not directly by Sammy. But hey, at least you have a fire-retardant box now!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's on the Nougat update. If I read the guys on the beta thread right, they already have it. We just have to wait for official release as they are still working out bugs. If you want to get the beta Nougat update, there are ways, but remember it's a beta software still.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
It's on the Nougat update. If I read the guys on the beta thread right, they already have it. We just have to wait for official release as they are still working out bugs. If you want to get the beta Nougat update, there are ways, but remember it's a beta software still.
Yes, third party updates are there. Everything the Note7 had except the gif creator and iris scanner (because of the missing camera) seem to be there. No s-pen functionality, which goes without saying.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Just remember that if you do this (beta), Oculus doesn't work, so no VR for you.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I used always on display on my note 7, it's useless on the S7. Samsung could have updated just the AOD Instead of holding everyone hostage for the nougat. Samsung is on a short leash with me, and the WiFi coming on and off all the time isn't helping them. And I did turn the WiFi scanning off listed in another post.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I used always on display in my note 7, it's useless in the S7. Samsung could have updated just the AOD Instead of holding everyone hostage for the nougat. Samsung is on a short leash with me, and the WiFi coming on and off all the time isn't helping them. And I did turn the WiFi scanning off listed in another post.

I agree with that they should have just moved it over when they forced us all out of the N7 (this point of this thread obviously) and I can empathize with your Samsung feelings as I'm on my 4th Samsung phone in a time that I should have just had 1 phone. 2 N7's and now just got a second S7E after it stopped wirelessly charging. I had the wifi problem on my last one (I also disabled the scanning) and I'm waiting to see if its going to happen on the new one I just got. If they could make future phones as good as the N7, minus that little exploding part, I'd be happy. I'd even be plenty happy with the S7E if it actually worked reliably and they'd move the AOD over.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I signed up for the beta thing and never heard anything about it so I guess I will have to wait
If it took your registration without saying it's full, you're good. Did you check for updates? Not trying to point out the obvious, but they're not sent to your phone automatically. You have to pull them.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If it took your registration without saying it's full, you're good. Did you check for updates? Not trying to point out the obvious, but they're not sent to your phone automatically. You have to pull them.

I thought I signed up for it, although I just tried it again tonight and it said it was full. I've tried pulling updates (from the System updates in Settings right?) and I'm up to date. It does strike me as really odd that to get that useless AOD update you had to go get it manually. Who would even have a clue to do that???

steelers1

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought I signed up for it, although I just tried it again tonight and it said it was full. I've tried pulling updates (from the System updates in Settings right?) and I'm up to date. It does strike me as really odd that to get that useless AOD update you had to go get it manually. Who would even have a clue to do that???

I got it take my registration late one night after it was originally filled up. That's been a few weeks ago now and after checking constantly I never got the update. I thought I did a few days after I registered but it ended up being the October Verizon security update. Now the beta app doesn't show I'm registered anymore and says it is full.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante