12-07-2016 12:23 PM
62 123
tools
    Laggy yes, hot no.
    I just turned wifi scanning off. How is that related to lag? Do I need to wipe cache again?
    I'm more concerned as to why it's not hot but lagging. Lag on any computer, smartphones included, is usually associated with an overtaxed processor. At least, that's when there aren't any inherent software problems like bad drivers, bad hardware, or bad registries. In your case sounds like an inherent software problem. Doubt a cache wipe will work but no harm in trying.
    12-01-2016 06:25 PM
    I'm more concerned as to why it's not hot but lagging. Lag on any computer, smartphones included, is usually associated with an overtaxed processor. At least, that's when there aren't any inherent software problems like bad drivers, bad hardware, or bad registries. In your case sounds like an inherent software problem. Doubt a cache wipe will work but no harm in trying.
    Info just now after just some normal browsing and texting. CPU seems high to me at 60% high? I only had email, text, browser and the phone info app open before I jumped in to check stats.

Lag City on New S7 Edge-1480638836438.jpg
    12-01-2016 06:35 PM
    ya got all the samsung nut jobs all worked up man good job lol,,, ok lets just pretend the s7 edge doesnt lagg, everyone happy? 6p lags, pixels laggs, samsung is king, no lagg.
    Dude, I own a 6P and S7E. Do you? MY S7E is no more laggy than my 6P. If you consider the 6P laggy, then yeah, I guess you'd think my S7E is too. I however do not.
    buwee likes this.
    12-01-2016 07:43 PM
    Info just now after just some normal browsing and texting. CPU seems high to me at 60% high? I only had email, text, browser and the phone info app open before I jumped in to check stats.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1480638836438.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	247219
    Your CPU is working overtime for some reason. Could be related to your lag. Just opened up a game (Clash Royale) with Viber receiving messages on the background, on switching to AIDA64, it showed me CPU utilization was 32%.
    12-01-2016 08:00 PM
    Your CPU is working overtime for some reason. Could be related to your lag. Just opened up a game (Clash Royale) with Viber receiving messages on the background, on switching to AIDA64, it showed me CPU utilization was 32%.
    Really appreciate your help. I posted more info on XDA. can you clear all your back ground apps and tell me what you see after using the same CPU monitoring app I am using.

Please see here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-e...t3511240/page1
    12-01-2016 08:51 PM
    Really appreciate your help. I posted more info on XDA. can you clear all your back ground apps and tell me what you see after using the same CPU monitoring app I am using.

Please see here.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-e...t3511240/page1
    What app are you using? Also, are you using a Snapdragon S7 or an Exynos? I have an Exynos, so that may also mean more differences in CPU ratings.
    12-01-2016 11:04 PM
    What app are you using? Also, are you using a Snapdragon S7 or an Exynos? I have an Exynos, so that may also mean more differences in CPU ratings.
    Snapdragon. Try and let me know. Mine never goes below 30% CPU usage with no open apps. I'm thinking about a factory reset but dang it is so much work.

Here is the app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sysmonitor.app
    12-01-2016 11:20 PM
    Snapdragon. Try and let me know. Mine never goes below 30% CPU usage with no open apps. I'm thinking about a factory reset but dang it is so much work.

Here is the app
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sysmonitor.app
    Closed all apps via the close all button in the app switcher, but I still have some apps running in the background (Tasker, Floatify, etc, too much hassle to close them). Mine is running at usually 20% with a few random spikes

All 8 cores present, 2 of them offline at the moment. A couple of times some cores drop down to 2%, but didnt catch them on screenshot.

Seems like you'd have to find someone with a Snapdragon as well to compare. The Exynos is known to be both faster and more efficient than the Snapdragon, so I sort of doubt my findings have too much help.
    Lepa79 and Tsepz_GP like this.
    12-01-2016 11:34 PM
    Thank you. I'm waiting for XDA replies to confirm. If Snapdragon folks are now were close to %30 then I have a problem. Seems like Snapdragon is 4 cores instead of 8 and that surprised me.
    12-01-2016 11:39 PM
    My S7 lags like a ---- sometimes when I type on the keyboard. Seems to happen more often in the stock text app. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    12-02-2016 07:20 AM
    My S7 lags like a ---- sometimes when I type on the keyboard. Seems to happen more often in the stock text app. Am I the only one experiencing this?
    Please download the above app I listed, clear all recent apps and share your CPU usage graph.
    12-02-2016 07:30 AM
    Laggy yes, hot no.
    I just turned wifi scanning off. How is that related to lag? Do I need to wipe cache again?
    my s7 edge had the wifi bug where it would constantly switch on and off, it was causing my phone to lag bad but it was also running hot when this happened.
    By turning wifi scanning off in the location menu it fixed the wifi from turning on and off in the normal wifi menu.
    Im hoping they fix it soon. Its also on my note 4. So i believe it to be a samsung bug.
    12-02-2016 09:46 AM
    Please download the above app I listed, clear all recent apps and share your CPU usage graph.
    With all other apps closed and at idle, I'm around 31-35% CPU Usage
    Lepa79 likes this.
    12-02-2016 12:24 PM
    keep it civil please... Don't make the mistake of assuming everyone else's experience matches your own.

I run a 6P as my daily driver and my wife has a S7 Edge.. .she HAD a Note 7. The two Sammys... they run fine. I see/saw few frame drops, kernel ramp-up lag is minimal, etc and all in all, both the S7 Edge and the Note 7 (in that limited time) both conducted themselves well. My wife's S7 Edge has been chugging along for about 1 1/2 months now and its still running smooth and steady.

But that's HER phone... stuff happens. There are a million moving parts in these things and if one goes south, the glitch monsters can come out in full force. The trick is figuring out what is the source of your madness and seeing what avenues are available to eliminate or mitigate them.
    12-02-2016 12:34 PM
    With all other apps closed and at idle, I'm around 31-35% CPU Usage
    Okay. That must be normal for S7 Edge phones then. I know have multiple reports confirming CPU usage on snapdragon @ idle is around 30 to 35%. I still think this is crazy high but I guess that's Samsungs world?

My 6p with the same app runs at around 2% CPU Usage. That is crazy!!
    12-02-2016 03:39 PM
    FYi, to for those people, like me, who have had the wifi scanning bug, check your phone after a few days. Today is the 3rd time i have had to go to location settings and turn off wifi scanning. Somehow magically it keeps turning its self on. not cool Samsung.
    12-03-2016 03:01 PM
    I've had the S7edge since day one and own pretty much ever S and Note series there is.. The S7e lags. It lagged more than when I had my Note7. That being said, I think it has more to do with the apps that are installed and it's hard to say. I don't think it's a defect. If you have 3 or 4 apps open in the background - I think it's a big part of exactly what apps you have running in the background.
    12-03-2016 04:52 PM
    Okay. That must be normal for S7 Edge phones then. I know have multiple reports confirming CPU usage on snapdragon @ idle is around 30 to 35%. I still think this is crazy high but I guess that's Samsungs world?

That is pure madness!

My Exynos S7E drops very low in CPU usage, with all kinds of apps in RAM, incl. Tapatalk, FB, Premier League app, Instagram, Snapchat, Opera Mini, Samsung Web Browser etc... When idle it hits 7%
    12-03-2016 05:42 PM
    Depends on your definition of lag. If you want instantaneous response, stock Android is the way to go. Samsung has put more animations in the phone than stock, plus the overlay so there will be a slight slower response. Personally my definition of lag is 'no response' or 'stuttering response'. And the S7 doesn't stutter. Personally I like the hardware on the S7 but use Nova Launcher on it, eliminating the 'natural' slower response of TouchWiz launcher.

Also I have to point out that I am using an Exynos version of the S7 Edge. Various speedtests and benchmarking sites have shown faster than the Snapdragon versions in the US. Here's a video that shows on the same taskset, the Exynos can finish up to 40secs faster than the Snapdragons in the US have...

Quick question, do Snapdragons still do Hotplugging? I believe that was the issue that caused lag in them. I have owned mostly Exynos Samsungs from S2 I9100, S3 I9300, S4 I9500, and then S7 Edge Exynos, the only Snapdragon Samsung I have had was the Note 4, and it did lag a bit more than the Exynos Note 4, the Exynos Note 4 was smoother and ran cooler.

I like Qualcomm, they set a high bar with the Snapdragon 800 a few years ago, but they seem to continue to have some legacy issues, especially in Samsungs. I think TouchWiz is built from the ground up with Exynos in mind, and then the Snapdragon is almost an after-thought, hence the issues.
    12-03-2016 05:49 PM
    Quick question, do Snapdragons still do Hotplugging? I believe that was the issue that caused lag in them. I have owned mostly Exynos Samsungs from S2 I9100, S3 I9300, S4 I9500, and then S7 Edge Exynos, the only Snapdragon Samsung I have had was the Note 4, and it did lag a bit more than the Exynos Note 4, the Exynos Note 4 was smoother and ran cooler.

I like Qualcomm, they set a high bar with the Snapdragon 800 a few years ago, but they seem to continue to have some legacy issues, especially in Samsungs. I think TouchWiz is built from the ground up with Exynos in mind, and then the Snapdragon is almost an after-thought, hence the issues.
    Well Snapdragons are only used because of US and China carriers who insist on CDMA. The rest of the world is using Exynos. So yeah, you're assumption about it is probably right.
    12-03-2016 07:06 PM
    That being said, I think it has more to do with the apps that are installed and it's hard to say. I don't think it's a defect. If you have 3 or 4 apps open in the background - I think it's a big part of exactly what apps you have running in the background.
    Could be. I'm not a gamer and don't do social media from my phone, so maybe that's why I'm not seeing any lag in mine. But I didn't have any more apps on my Note 7 than I do my S7E and it was laggy. Could be there it was because it was the Gen2 phone they were trying to get to not start on fire though, I suppose.
    12-04-2016 07:18 AM

No WONDER WHY my battery life is garbage and drain per hour is 6-15% typically. With my old Lumia 920 windows phone, it was a pretty consistent 4% or less per hour. If only MS hadn't dropped the ball on mobile a couple years back
    12-06-2016 09:51 AM
    So I just changed the settings in Simple System Monitor to turn off "More accurate RAM usage" and now I'm hovering around 5-15% CPU usage at idle
    12-06-2016 10:04 AM
    No WONDER WHY my battery life is garbage and drain per hour is 6-15% typically. With my old Lumia 920 windows phone, it was a pretty consistent 4% or less per hour. If only MS hadn't dropped the ball on mobile a couple years back
    That is not the cause. Mine also shows the same percentage of CPU, and only drops %2 over a 7 hour night.
    12-06-2016 11:58 AM
    That is not the cause. Mine also shows the same percentage of CPU, and only drops %2 over a 7 hour night.
    That's because of Doze dude. Of course it only drains a couple percent over night. I'm talking about during the day. I couldn't care less what battery drain is over night. That's when I charge my phone anyway.
    12-06-2016 12:08 PM
62 123