V20 unlocked versus the S7 Edge which is the better phone?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I got my refund for the Note 7 finally and I'm using the S7 Edge I bought back in Sept.

I've been looking at the V20 US unlocked version that Amazon and BH sell now, but what wondering is the V20 a better phone and buy and big upgrade over my S7 Edge?

The V20 has IR blaster, removable battery and bigger screen and Android 7.0. The S7 edge has water resistance which the v20 doesn't and some say the AMOLED screen is much better than the V20 screen.

Should I wait for the S8 edge or Note 8 or should I spend another grand on a phone and cases again and get a V20 which I can buy directly from amazon or BH photo now unlocked.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I switched to the V20 after the Note 7 because I had already tried two S7 Edges with the whole recall thing (that and the fact that the S7 only comes in 32GB). It went back after a little less than a month. Here's MY 'why'.

The phone is fast. Feels zippier than the S7 Edge, but you won't notice much of a difference with Nougat VS what you already have on the S7 Edge. The wide lens camera is fun to play with, but the end result is nowhere near what the S7 Edge can accomplish in terms of quality, especially in low light. Double tap to sleep/wake on the V20 is something you can easily and quickly learn to love, and sooner than you know it, you'll be double tapping everything (I think I even tried to double tap my laptop once); this happened to me, too, when I tried the G4.

The bad? Everything else. The V20 is just not sexy, period. It is made out of metal, but in all honesty, it feels like plastic, and it just looks 'unassuming'. It's a phone that no one will ask about, unlike the S7 Edge or the blue Note 7. It lacks waterproofing and it won't fit into most waterproof pouches comfortably. No double tap on the home button to open the camera (there's a similar double press of the volume button, but that only works if your phone is locked). I've always had issues with on-screen buttons because I feel they 'steal' screen real estate, but that's up to personal preference. The fingerprint reader in the back was annoying to me as most of the time I needed to unlock my phone when it's on a desk or propped on a car holder, plus, the way I hold my phones, my finger never rested 'naturally' on that button like most people claim, so it actually hurt my finger to try to use it. The extra screen panel on top is useless. If you thought the Edge Panels were a gimmick, this is just a waste of battery. I never thought I'd have an issue with this, but no wireless charging. And last, but certainly not least and what eventually brought me back to my third S7 Edge once the blue coral one came out, it doesn't have Samsung Pay.

So, for ME, it was way more BUTs than what I liked about the phone.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
No one can tell you which one is "better". It's all subjective. You buy what your requirements are in a premium phone. Some people can live with an LCD display. Some can live without a removable battery or a slightly worse low light camera. It's your decision. There are plenty of reviews out for all of these phones. If everyone liked the same thing, there wouldn't be a need for a dozen different flagship phones.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
What about the Edge vs the iPhone 7 Plus vs v20? iPhone win out?

iPhone camera wins on processing and the dual lens, but it's pretty darn close to the S7 Edge. V20 is just not up to par (again, the wide lens IS fun to play with and iPhone doesn't have that either). iPhones are very zippy but super restrictive if you're used to Android's customization options. If you just want the 'simple' experience, I'd go for an iPhone. If you like Android's 'open customization' and the fact that you can use 3rd party apps for mostly everything, then I'd go with the S7 Edge (or if you're not anxious and can wait a few months, wait for the S8). And, of course, iPhone doesn't have SD Card support, so if you have a lot of media to use, that's also a thing to factor.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
iPhone camera wins on processing and the dual lens, but it's pretty darn close to the S7 Edge. V20 is just not up to par (again, the wide lens IS fun to play with and iPhone doesn't have that either). iPhones are very zippy but super restrictive if you're used to Android's customization options. If you just want the 'simple' experience, I'd go for an iPhone. If you like Android's 'open customization' and the fact that you can use 3rd party apps for mostly everything, then I'd go with the S7 Edge (or if you're not anxious and can wait a few months, wait for the S8). And, of course, iPhone doesn't have SD Card support, so if you have a lot of media to use, that's also a thing to factor.

Everyone said the V20 was supposed to be known for the camera.

What about the Honor Note 8 or whatever that is called that has that MASSIVE 6.6 screen? It is supposed to be released in the US soon.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The V20 has amazing manual controls that can produce very good pictures, and the wide lens does make it a camera to be known for. But if you compare to quality of the actual pictures (especially in auto mode and in low light), both iPhone with its impressive post-processing of the two lens shots and S7 Edge with just awesome shots then the V20 just leaves you unimpressed UNLESS you are able to match the shot manually.

As for the Honor, I've no experience with those so I can't comment on whether or not that's a good contender in the camera department. The Pixel has an awesome camera, too, but it comes with an awesome 'WTF' price tag.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The V20 has amazing manual controls that can produce very good pictures, and the wide lens does make it a camera to be known for. But if you compare to quality of the actual pictures (especially in auto mode and in low light), both iPhone with its impressive post-processing of the two lens shots and S7 Edge with just awesome shots then the V20 just leaves you unimpressed UNLESS you are able to match the shot manually.

As for the Honor, I've no experience with those so I can't comment on whether or not that's a good contender in the camera department. The Pixel has an awesome camera, too, but it comes with an awesome 'WTF' price tag.

Pixel XL is overpriced! I'd take an S7 Edge over that thing. Water resistant, and micro SD slot.

Ipse_Tase

Sep 2, 2015
Visit site
Let me just say that I have an S7Edge and recently got a v20 on contract renewal. It wasn't easy to sell it...simply there is little interest, for the same reasons people have mentioned in this thread.
Even for the audio part, I find Samsung DAC good enough.

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If the unlocked G5 (RS988) is anything to go by, updates for the unlocked V20 are going to be scarce. The unlocked G5 is still on the July security patch. The carrier variants have gotten more updates and are already on Nougat. Samsung is the same way with the unlocked S7 and S7 Edge models.

Both LG and Samsung fail to understand that unlocked models should be easier to update since there's no carrier meddling.

soldier45

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
The V20 is nice but no wireless charging and no water resistance made me go with the S7 Edge after turning in my Note 7. No other phone just doesn't come close at least until the S8 comes out in a few months. I like the V20's bigger screen and the audio DAC but not enough to make it my main phone for the next year.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
The V20 is nice but no wireless charging and no water resistance made me go with the S7 Edge after turning in my Note 7. No other phone just doesn't come close at least until the S8 comes out in a few months. I like the V20's bigger screen and the audio DAC but not enough to make it my main phone for the next year.

What about the iPhone 7? Coming from Android would it be bland?

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I used an S7 edge as a loaner with the whole Note 7 fiasco and I liked it. After having to return my new Note 7 again, I got the V20 aaaaand.... I was not impressed much. I liked the wide angle camera and that's the only thing I miss from the V20, that and the double tap to wake. I got the Blue Coral S7 edge the date it came out and now with beta update, it's very similar to my Note 7, minus the pen and I'm very happy with it.

I have JOD so I'll be getting the S8, and Note 8 next year as well.

JoshDunc

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
It all comes down to personal preference. You may like the V20. I personally did not when playing with it in the store. I much prefer my Pixel which you and others may not like.

Your needs in a device is different then mine. Best advice is to go play with one at Best Buy or a carrier and get a feel for the device. Only then can you make a logical decision based on your own feel.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
IMO the S7 Edge is the "better phone" in general, but I'd lean more towards the V20 if those were the only two choices.

freightguy1979

Mar 25, 2015
Visit site
You all are crazy. I have been an active Samsung Galaxy guy since the S4. The V20 is a breath of fresh air. Removable battery, camera, no lag, etc.

I can't believe the fan boys. The V20 is an awesome phone so far. Do your research before jumping on the S7 Edge bandwagon. You won't be disappointed!!!

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
You all are crazy. I have been an active Samsung Galaxy guy since the S4. The V20 is a breath of fresh air. Removable battery, camera, no lag, etc.

I can't believe the fan boys. The V20 is an awesome phone so far. Do your research before jumping on the S7 Edge bandwagon. You won't be disappointed!!!

While appreciate the comment of the v20 is a breathe of fresh air. The s7 edge is still a great phone and wait until the nougat update rolls out it does wonders for the overall speed of the phone I am running the beta it is awesome. But I also have the LG v20 I love both phones it comes down to each person's preference