Samsung Network Extender (Verizon) compatible with LTE calling?

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Anyone here using a Network Extender? I've had one since before I got my S7 Edge. In the past, the only way you could get the phone to associate with the extender was to turn off the HD Voice under settings/advanced calling. Lately I see the phone using the extender (extender icon plus says 'extender' in status for network) even with the HD voice turned on. I'm guessing this came about a recent patch, but no release notes said anything about it to my knowledge. I'm not complaining by any means, just really curious.

Along those same lines, anyone have any good tips on combining extender use along with wi-fi calling?

Thanks,

Chuck

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
P.S. I tried to search on this topic, but error message saying searchd is getting a 0 back or something like that was the result.

afh3

May 15, 2015
Visit site
I have the most recent (non-enterprise) Samsung LTE Network Extender offered by Verizon -- the SLS-BU103 -- operating in my home. The device works with our Verizon S7 Edge phones without disabling the HD Calling feature and has since installation in July of 2016. With respect to interoperation of this device with the phone's Wi-Fi Calling feature, it is my understanding that calls will prefer cellular signal -- if present and sufficient -- and will not attempt Wi-Fi connectivity for calling in this situation.

I believe the implication here is that, even when at home with strong Wi-Fi connectivity available, calls utilizing the VoLTE capability will continue to decrement your data-plan allocation - despite the data being passed through your own broadband infrastructure via the extender.

If anyone has information that contradicts any of my suppositions, I would appreciate it.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You should be OK if you have one of the newer 4GLTE extenders. The older models effectively created a 3G network in your house, which is why you had to turn off the HD calling.

ChuckChurch

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Sorry folks, I didn't realize there was a newer 4G Network Extender available. I've got the older 3G model, SCS-2U01 I believe it is.

Bichon-Fan

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I believe the implication here is that, even when at home with strong Wi-Fi connectivity available, calls utilizing the VoLTE capability will continue to decrement your data-plan allocation - despite the data being passed through your own broadband infrastructure via the extender.

If anyone has information that contradicts any of my suppositions, I would appreciate it.

HD calling does not decrement your data plan at all, regardless of whether it goes through an extender or is carried over the regular cellular infrastructure. HD voice is billed as a voice call even though it is carried on the network as LTE data. Read #7 under "Basics and benefits" here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...zon.com/support/hd-voice-faqs/&token=64rOfM4g

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma