I've researched this same question and found the answer I'm looking for. I should be able to enable the capture option of a Galaxy app just called Video by going to the Video app then menu -> settings -> capture -> yes. The problem is menu is not listed in the app as described. In its place I see the word more and there is no setting option listed there. As an alternative way to access the settings in some apps you can hold down the back key but this opens the same menu that more does and again no settings option. Thank you for you help in advance.
    12-04-2016 04:07 PM
    You need to actually play a video, then pause it... then click on the three dots, select settings, and your options should appear. This is how it is on my Note 4 and Note 10.1 tablet.
    12-04-2016 05:43 PM
    Thank you Nahoku for taking the time to respond. You are correct in that the original post did specify that you must start a video then pause it in order to access the option in this way. Unfortunately I had tried this and the problem remains the same. The three dots do not appear and if i select "more" or try accessing it by holding down the back button there is no option for settings.
    12-04-2016 06:12 PM
    I've included a screenshot with a video loaded and paused and also the options available when selecting more.I have a Galaxy s7 edge and would like to extract pictures from captured video.-screenshot_20161204-191341-0-.jpg
    I have a Galaxy s7 edge and would like to extract pictures from captured video.-screenshot_20161204-191639-1-.jpg
    12-04-2016 06:19 PM
    Why not use G Player with this app you ger picture from video
    12-04-2016 06:19 PM
    Thank you Stayblessed. I will try the G Player app as one of the reasons I'd tried so hard to to get the Samsung app to work is I had not found an app that would extract pictures from video other than Samsung's Video app. I would still like to know how I can access the settings of Samsung's Video app and turn the capture option on/off if anyone is able to solve this issue.
    12-04-2016 06:54 PM
    It's weird that you don't have settings in the menu. According to all I've read so far, it should be there on the S7 Edge, and capturing photos should work the same as on my devices.

Have you disabled anything... like debloated the phone? Do you have any other player installed? Have you tried starting your phone if Safe Mode to see if it works?
    12-04-2016 06:54 PM
    Have you tried switching to the Popup viewer? I actually don't know if it will make any difference or if it'll even have a menu.
    12-04-2016 06:56 PM
    Have you disabled anything... like debloated the phone?
    I have disabled some apps/debloated the phone, so I'll provide the list of disabled apps. I've reviewed this list and most don't seem like they could be related at all. If anyone see's something listed I should try enabling or know of an app I would need I'll give that a try. I hope it doesn't come to restoring the phone to access settings. I think that's farther than I'm willing to go. I should also mention that I'm not having trouble with any other app including Samsung Pay.

Disabled apps - Amazon, Amazon Kindle, Android Pay(again using Samsung Pay I don't see how this could affect it but it's more related than any other app I disabled), AT&T Locker, AT&T Protect Plus, Caller Name ID, Drive, DriveMode, Facebook(using metal), Fullscreen, Google Play Movies & TV, Hangouts, Lookout, my AT&T, Plenti, Setup & Transfer(again I don't see how this one could affect it but it is kind of system related) and Smart Limits.

Do you have any other player installed?
    I didn't install any other player but as listed above I did disable "Google Play Movies & TV"(one app), and even tho I can't find any other player app listed the default app for playing videos through Gallery is not Samsung's Video so there must be some other player even if it's gallery(I know this to be true because you have to install Samsung's Video app through Galaxy Apps. It's not installed by default.)

Have you tried starting your phone if Safe Mode to see if it works?
    I have now and no change.

Have you tried switching to the Popup viewer?
    I have now and no change.
    12-04-2016 07:46 PM
    Did know if previous post was accepted untill after I posted this and now I can't delete.

Nahoku, I posted a detailed reply but I received a message saying that a moderator would have to review it before it would post. If a moderator reads this I asked the the original question before logging in, so it has guest listed as creating this thread. If that affects anything. Summary of my detailed answer is I provided a list of the apps I disabled but they should be fine, no other player installed other that the default that Gallery uses before I installed Video, and I have now tried Safe Mode and Popup viewer with no luck.
    12-04-2016 10:38 PM
    and even tho I can't find any other player app listed the default app for playing videos through Gallery is not Samsung's Video so there must be some other player even if it's gallery(I know this to be true because you have to install Samsung's Video app through Galaxy Apps. It's not installed by default.)
    This might be the problem... maybe. I don't own a S7 so I don't know if the video player your phone is using is capable of doing what the Samsung Video Player is capable of. The menu settings I referred to is found in the Samsung app "Video Player". I'm only guessing it's a Samsung app but that's what all my devices use to play videos... unless I install another player, in which case I can choose. If you look in the App Manager, does it list an app called "Video Player"?

If you look in Default Applications in Settings, does it list a player for playing videos? If so, and you delete it, then the phone may ask you which video player to use (if in fact there are more than one player installed). If there's only one player on your phone, then no video app may show up in Default applications.

When I asked about debloating, I was referring to a 3rd party program/app like Debloater, or Package Disabler Pro, where you can disable a ton of stuff (including system apps), and not only turn off stuff using the App Manager/App Drawer. From your list, it doesn't seem like the stuff you turned off should affect the "menu" in your player.

Since we're touching on the video player, can you install the Samsung player from Galaxy apps and see if it's menu contains what you're looking for?

I hope it doesn't come to restoring the phone to access settings. I think that's farther than I'm willing to go.
    Yes, this is the last resort and one we want to avoid at all costs!

EDIT... I just remembered reading on Google that the S7 video player is merged with "Google Play Movies and TV"... one of the apps you disabled. You might renable the app to see if anything changes.
    12-04-2016 11:10 PM
    Samsung removed that option on the S7 video player. Well not exactly anyway. Rather, there is no Video Player app on the S7 anymore, rather a new gallery app that can play videos. Hence some decrease in functionality. Besides, that option was basically a glorified screen shot button anyway. So pause the video on the part you want to get a picture of, tap the center of the screen to remove the onscreen buttons and take a screenshot. If you want to skip the cropping part, turn the phone to landscape before taking a screenshot.
    12-05-2016 02:35 AM
    Besides, that option was basically a glorified screen shot button anyway.
    I remember the conversation you had with Tim1954 about this. Seeing you here jogged my memory about that thread. I must have been reading about another phone when I was researching the S7 capabilities. I could have sworn I read that the functionality was still there, but at the same time I know Samsung went with the Google Play movies incorporation.

I wouldn't call the function a glorified screenshot though. The capture function included frame-by-frame and you'd have a very tough time pausing a full-on golf swing for a screen shot. I wonder if the Samsung Video player available in Galaxy apps still has the capture function.
    12-05-2016 03:17 AM
    If you look in the App Manager, does it list an app called "Video Player"?......can you install the Samsung player from Galaxy apps and see if it's menu contains what you're looking for?
    In the App Manager and in the App Drawer its listed only as "Video". That's also the name its under on Galaxy Apps under Exclusives and Galaxy Essentials. Which makes it hard to find unless you know exactly what your looking for. Its installed and I've make sure that's that app I'm using each time by opening it directly through apps then open my video I'd like to edit from there.

If you look in Default Applications in Settings, does it list a player for playing videos?
    There is a default app listed for Browser app, Calling app and Messaging app. Then there a Default app selection option that can be set to Ask before setting default apps or Set default apps automatically. Next is a Set as default option, and per your advice I've opened this setting. But this option is described as for "Select whether to open this app instead of your browser app when you go to supported web addresses."

You might enable the app("Google Play Movies and TV") to see if anything changes
    I've now enabled the ""Google Play Movies and TV"" app and restarted my phone. Then navigated to the "Video" app through the app drawer, started a video then paused it. Still no menu to select other than the more option or holding down my back button, neither way give an option to select settings. I would think that even if Samsung removed the option to capture frames from the video there would still be a way to access settings for other options.

There is a good chance that it has been removed, because there is now a separate Samsung "Video Editor" app that you can open from with in the "Video" app but the best it does is trims down to 7 seconds clip. This may have replaced the previous options and just doesn't do what I'd like.
    12-05-2016 06:29 PM
    In the App Manager and in the App Drawer its listed only as "Video". That's also the name its under on Galaxy Apps under Exclusives and Galaxy Essentials. Which makes it hard to find unless you know exactly what your looking for. Its installed and I've make sure that's that app I'm using each time by opening it directly through apps then open my video I'd like to edit from there.
    Did you install the Video app? You have to install it to try it out and see if it's the same app that's on your phone. From what I'm reading on the web, it's not the same app, it's Samsung's own video player app, which makes it different than what's currently on your phone.

But this option is described as for "Select whether to open this app instead of your browser app when you go to supported web addresses."
    What you're looking at is the default app for the browser... it's not for playing videos, so don't mess with it.

Install the app from Galaxy Essential and try it. That's the only way to find out.
    12-05-2016 08:10 PM
    In my long drawn out response that I put so much thought into I guess I failed to mention that I installed the "Video" app. Since you have taken the time and effort to try and help I felt just saying "Installed and tried that before posting." seemed unappreciative, but some times short and sweet is better, LOL. Also if I hadn't installed "Video" in Galaxy apps it would still say free and not install.

Still no luck making this app work. Willing to try any more suggestions but at this point I'm going to try some others. If I have any luck I'll report back.
    12-08-2016 01:33 AM
    Sorry, I must have misunderstood that you had already installed it. Being old is my only excuse! LOL!

It's strange that all the articles I've read about Samsung removing their Video and music player in lieu of Google's player make it seem like the one in Galaxy Essentials is the "original" Samsung player (the one that was removed). Is the one from Galaxy Essentials the same player as the one that was already on your phone, or is it the Samsung player, but missing the Capture capability?

I remember when the Note 5 came out, the ability to capture frame by frame was removed on that phone. I don't know if Samsung ever put it back via updates. The only reason I mention this is that if the Galaxy Essentials Video app is "one and the same" as on the Note 5, then the capability wouldn't be there. I do seem to remember that some users of the Note 5 found a workaround app that would do frame by frame. At the moment it escapes me which app was the popular one, but I'll search it out and see if I can find it again.
    12-08-2016 02:01 AM
    I did a little experimenting to find out what the default player was and if I go to the "set as default" option in app. manager and open Samsung's "Video" app, then clear it as the default, the next time I open a video I'm presented with the option to selected my default player again

I have a Galaxy s7 edge and would like to extract pictures from captured video.-screenshot_20161208-030819-1-.jpg

The VidTrim option I just installed. It's advertised to edit for Instagram and other social network apps that I'm proud to say I've never used, but the grab frame option does just what I wanted and it took me all of 10 seconds to figure out. Video Player is the Samsung app we've been trying to get to extract frames. Its odd that it called just Video in my app drawer and in Galaxy Apps but Video Player here and in app manager but its the same app. Oculus and Samsung VR are VR headset related so even tho they came installed there not the default player. As you can see the google app's are not even listed and if you open google's movies and tv app you can only open in app content no option to open your own videos. I not sure what Google product you may have seen that's is suppose to be a replacment for a video player. I even checked the play store and couldn't find anything made by google to play videos. That just leaves Photo's so I selected it and the best I can remember it does look the player that was used until I installed Samsung's Video app.

So finial though's are that Samsung must have removed that option from there player, I'm happy with the VidTrim app and it was just the second that I tried so I sure there are plenty more on the app store. So even tho I wouldn't say we solved the Samsung Video issue I think we did do everything possible to confirm that the option is not longer there. I do appreciate all your help and if you come up with anything else I'll still try it just confirm what I think we already know. Thank you again.

[EDIT]Photo's is Google app.[/EDIT]
    12-08-2016 02:46 AM
    I did a little experimenting to find out what the default player was and if I go to the "set as default" option in app. manager and open Samsung's "Video" app, then clear it as the default, the next time I open a video I'm presented with the option to selected my default player again
    Yes, this is what should happen when you clear the default. It's curious there's only one Video player (not counting Vidtrim and Oculus). Did you happen to disable Google Play Movies again before you did this?

I couldn't remember what app I saw in the Note 5 forum... it was around Aug last year so my memory didn't help any. I also tried Vidtrim just a few minutes ago and it's capable of doing the exact same thing as the old Samsung player as far as grabbing frame by frame. I think it's an easy app to use for what you need, so that should work for you. It's too bad you couldn't stay native and had to install a 3rd party, but that's how it goes sometimes.

I not sure what Google product you may have seen that's is suppose to be a replacment for a video player.
    THIS is just one article I read on the subject. You can see they mention the Samsung Video player was replaced by Google Play Music and Play Movies. In the article, it also states the Samsung player is available for download at Galaxy Essentials. This is what made me think the Samsung player would be a different player than the Google player that came on your phone.

In any case, I'm glad you got the capture feature through an app. It was fun attempting to help you, even though we couldn't get what we "really" wanted. Still the outcome is good, I think.
    12-08-2016 03:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD