Dropped my phone in a bucket of water

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I was looking for my phone. Couldn't find it anywhere. Had people text me. Couldn't hear it. Nothing. I had been working on emptying the pool cover because it has too much water on it to survive the winter. I had a bucket next to the pool. I must have bent over and my phone fell out of my pocket, and of course right into the bucket. Whole yard it could have fallen into, and NO, had to go in the bucket. It was there for over an hour before I realized where it was and found it. Happy, and quite amazed, to find it seems to be working fine. I turned it off for a bit, and dried it off good. Then took my blow drier and set it on the cool mode to dry the charging port. I turned the phone back on, and so far so good. I won't be charging it till later. Don't want to push my luck. Hoping for the best though. Amazing phone. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: SOOOOOO Dropped my phone in a bucket of water.................

That's what the waterproofing is for :) It might have been bad if you dropped it for so long in the pool, though, as that would have put extra pressure on it, but glad your phone is OK :)

The only nuisance is that, like you probably saw, if the ports are wet, the phone won't let you use them until they're dry.

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Yeah. That's why I'm going to wait till later to charge, or use my wireless charger for today. I'm very lucky it was the bucket. It was only half full too.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

The phone won't let you charge if it detects moisture, though. It pops up a message saying so when you try to charge. :) Same thing with the headphones IIRC

dkelly701

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if Android Device Manager would locate your phone if it is in water? As a side note, I think it is recommended to let it air dry because using forced air can actually force the water into the phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Hopefully the impact falling into the bucket wasn't strong enough to damage the seals

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Re: SOOOOOO Dropped my phone in a bucket of water

So far, still okay. I'm using a wireless charger now, and it is charging. Think I'll just do this for a couple days and really give it some time to finish drying out. But I have to say, I'm super impressed. I don't know many phones that could take this. Thankfully it's the first phone I've ever had land in water.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I wonder if Android Device Manager would locate your phone if it is in water? As a side note, I think it is recommended to let it air dry because using forced air can actually force the water into the phone.

As long as the phone has a working signal and mobile data connection, it will. If not, it will default to the last reported location. Not sure for mobile signal, but water does kill Bluetooth after barely an inch of water (which is why waterproof BT headphones don't work underwater), WiFi I think also won't survive more than a couple inches.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I have taken my S7 edge under water and taken pictures and videos of my videos of my kids. Never had an issue and my phone works perfectly afterwards. That's why I love love my S7e and the waterproofing. I take it hiking and fishing without worrying about it getting wet....

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I have taken my S7 edge under water and taken pictures and videos of my videos of my kids. Never had an issue and my phone works perfectly afterwards. That's why I love love my S7e and the waterproofing. I take it hiking and fishing without worrying about it getting wet....

Well I'm super happy I have it at the moment. LOL It's fine. And after soaking in that bucket for over an hour!!!

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Ouch!

Glad it's working, but I'd monitor for anything weird. It being in water for over an hour is probably going to cause some form of damage due to the sustained pressure.

juliesdroidsync

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I imagine your phone will be just fine... I saw a youtube video showing immersing and then freezing a Samsung phone...
For those of us who hate dirty phones, I love the fact that I can take off the case and wash my beloved Note 7 in anti-bacterial hand soap (try not to get the soap in the ports, though...) and rinse with warm water while I'm washing my hands... Never had a problem. You do get a msg that water was detected in the charging port - after a couple of hours, it dries out, and you're good to go. I will miss that when I turn in my phone...

JDfan3340

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Ouch!

Glad it's working, but I'd monitor for anything weird. It being in water for over an hour is probably going to cause some form of damage due to the sustained pressure.

Yup. I'm watching for anything weird. But so far so good. The bucket was only half full, so thankfully not a lot of pressure on it.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Exactly! And my friend who is always like "iPhone this, and iPhone that". In her face! LOL Her iPhone didn't survive it's drop in the toilet a couple years ago!!!

After you drop a phone in the toilet, even if it survives, is it really 'alive', though? haha I'd either smother that thing in disinfectant or exchange ASAP :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante