Is this phone worth the jump from Note 4?

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Good Afternoon all,

My phone was due for an upgrade in August and I was waiting for the Note 7, we all know what happened there. So I'm wondering if I should stay on my Sim Only 12 month contract, or upgrade to an S7 Edge? If I do get another phone, I'll probably put a PAYG sim in one and treat it like a work phone, as I get colleagues and others messaging me on WhatsApp, and to be honest, home/family time is home/family time... Don't want to be bothered.

I understand you lose a few things like IR Blaster, and the battery is built in. So are the pros/cons worth it? My current contract is £22.80 which will be upgraded to £45.80 if I change. I'd lose a perk of using my unlimited calls/texts abroad (useful but not a dealbreaker I guess), but I gain 4 GB data more.

My second option was possibly buying it, even if it's pre-owned and got a cracked screen, I'd replace it as long as it works.

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Good Afternoon all,

My phone was due for an upgrade in August and I was waiting for the Note 7, we all know what happened there. So I'm wondering if I should stay on my Sim Only 12 month contract, or upgrade to an S7 Edge? If I do get another phone, I'll probably put a PAYG sim in one and treat it like a work phone, as I get colleagues and others messaging me on WhatsApp, and to be honest, home/family time is home/family time... Don't want to be bothered.

I understand you lose a few things like IR Blaster, and the battery is built in. So are the pros/cons worth it? My current contract is £22.80 which will be upgraded to £45.80 if I change. I'd lose a perk of using my unlimited calls/texts abroad (useful but not a dealbreaker I guess), but I gain 4 GB data more.

My second option was possibly buying it, even if it's pre-owned and got a cracked screen, I'd replace it as long as it works.

It sounds like you'd be paying twice as much if you upgrade. Is that 23.00 a month to pay for the S7 Edge? If you really like your current plan, my suggestion is to stay and try to buy the Edge pre-owned.

The Edge is a phenomenal device but I personally don't see the value in paying full price for one now. Regardless if you want to upgrade to an S8 next year or not, the value on Android devices drop when the next model is announced. Find a device in great/good condition and buy it outright so you don't extend your contract. Not sure what your thoughts are, but being "off contract/agreement" is a beautiful thing.

To answer the question: I would say yes. This phone is significantly better than the Note 4 and is worth the upgrade.

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
It sounds like you'd be paying twice as much if you upgrade. Is that 23.00 a month to pay for the S7 Edge? If you really like your current plan, my suggestion is to stay and try to buy the Edge pre-owned.

The Edge is a phenomenal device but I personally don't see the value in paying full price for one now. Regardless if you want to upgrade to an S8 next year or not, the value on Android devices drop when the next model is announced. Find a device in great/good condition and buy it outright so you don't extend your contract. Not sure what your thoughts are, but being "off contract/agreement" is a beautiful thing.

To answer the question: I would say yes. This phone is significantly better than the Note 4 and is worth the upgrade.

The deal would be with the Sim Card only, so just the line rental. The Note 4 I bought from Amazon in April. I had another previously with my contract, it had a motherboard failure (still got the phone), which causes the battery to die in an hour, maybe even less. They wouldn't let me claim it under warranty, so I just had to buy a new handset. It was the same price as the Note 5 but I avoided it because of the no SD Card slot.

I've been looking on ebay, and Facebook marketplace but I'm kinda wary of getting a device that might not work later on. The majority I've seen had a cracked/shattered screen too.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
it had a motherboard failure (still got the phone), which causes the battery to die in an hour, maybe even less.
Are you sure it's a motherboard failure, not a battery failure? (A dendrite can cause the battery to die early every time.)

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Well on top of the battery dying, it kept taking me to Odin mode automatically. The person on the phone said it was a motherboard failure. Could the battery cause this? Never managed to actually see a repairman at the Samsung store, I was told to go on 2 separate occasions and both times. "We sent our engineers home because it was quiet", even though both times a representative there told me to come. P'd me off.

OriginalLucy

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what the advantage of the S7 edge is over the S7. The notes all seem too big to carry around or put in a pocket and now the Note 7 is blowing up and being recalled I was thinking on a preowned S series. Don't know much about the Samsung phones but they are worth the look. Colour me confused. Sorry for the ramble

EJHcab

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Im switching back to my Note 4. Its paid off and works for what I need. Has everything I need. I was getting the S7e for 15 a month. BFriday and trade in credit).

Chris

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what the advantage of the S7 edge is over the S7. The notes all seem too big to carry around or put in a pocket and now the Note 7 is blowing up and being recalled I was thinking on a preowned S series. Don't know much about the Samsung phones but they are worth the look. Colour me confused. Sorry for the ramble

You are getting a larger screen 5.1 vs 5.5 on the edge also larger battery 3000mah vs 3600 on the s7 edge.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
It really is your own personal choice, but I had just sold my Note 4 only days before the second Note 7 recall and of course I was not happy. I ended up buying a used S7Edge so that I did not have to use my upgrade on a phone I did not want. For me, no, I would not go from the Note 4 to the S7Edge. I would wait to see the S8 or the next Note.

jkay213

Dec 8, 2016
Visit site
I was in the same situation. My note 4 contract expired and i was excited for the note 7. I ended up getting the s7 edge and it was a huge upgrade. The phone is so much faster, the camera is an amazing upgrade, the screen is definitely better with more accurate color and the battery lasts me 2 days. I would say get the s7 edge. There are rumors saying Samsung will remove the headphone jack on the s8 which would be a deal breaker for me.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Plan issues aside, the Note 4 was, and still is a tank. If you use the s-pen even a little, you will probably find not having it is a major negative mark against any of the newer phones, until a new Note is available (if it ever is).
On a more realistic note: Is your note 4 working still, and doing everything you need it to? OR was there some feature you feel you would be better off with going with the S7?

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
So it's safe to say we all prefer the Note 4?

If I don't upgrade, I'll just stay Sim Only. If I do upgrade, I'll probably throw a PAYG Sim into the Note 4.

I actually had upgraded on the phone, and changed my mind 10 minutes later because I was still indecisive. If it was the Note 7, I would have upgraded with no hesitation. I just don't wanna wait for S8 and whatever Samsung Plan and it's not what I want (Note 5).

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
For what it's worth - I have the S7 Edge and contemplating going back to either the Note 4 or Note 5 (I have both) but unsure which one as of yet. I just had to have the Note 5 replaced under warranty due to the dreaded charging port not working. Decision, decisions....

But I can tell you I wasn't happy about going to the S7 Edge after the Note 7.

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Plan issues aside, the Note 4 was, and still is a tank. If you use the s-pen even a little, you will probably find not having it is a major negative mark against any of the newer phones, until a new Note is available (if it ever is).
On a more realistic note: Is your note 4 working still, and doing everything you need it to? OR was there some feature you feel you would be better off with going with the S7?

It's working still. It lags a lot, but I'm 99% sure that's due to it being full. 32GB and SD card is 64. Can't actually find a chunk of stuff to delete... I don't have my external HD at the moment to transfer things over.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering what the advantage of the S7 edge is over the S7.

Yeah, the screen being bigger in a rather confined space (the Edge is a lot smaller than you would expect from a 5.5" phone)... It's the battery... my wife had an S7 for a while and she was constantly complaining about how quickly she'd kill the battery on that thing. When we were out and about, say when we went to the beach, I made sure to have my 20Kmah battery pack charged up because she'd need it.

I haven't heard her complain once about the battery since I got her into the Edge.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
So it's safe to say we all prefer the Note 4?

If I don't upgrade, I'll just stay Sim Only. If I do upgrade, I'll probably throw a PAYG Sim into the Note 4.

I actually had upgraded on the phone, and changed my mind 10 minutes later because I was still indecisive. If it was the Note 7, I would have upgraded with no hesitation. I just don't wanna wait for S8 and whatever Samsung Plan and it's not what I want (Note 5).
Nope. I have both currently (Note 4 for work) and definitely prefer the S7E over the Note 4. Faster, better interface, more options, themes, etc.

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
Nope. I have both currently (Note 4 for work) and definitely prefer the S7E over the Note 4. Faster, better interface, more options, themes, etc.

Probably what I'd do if I upgraded. PAYG sim in the Note 4. I heard a rumour the next phones will have no headphone jack too, all the more reason I'm thinking of going S7 Edge if I do decide to upgrade.

zakjoe1

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I found my old Note 4, I assumed it was hardware failure because the battery died down, as well as automatically going into download mode. I've switched batteries with my current Note 4 and gonna leave YouTube going for 10-20 minutes to see how fast it dies down. If it doesn't die or go into download mode, it probably did need a new battery, which means I bought another Note 4 at the time for nothing... Note 5 was the same price but it had no SD Slot.

If it does work I have a two options:

1. PAYG Sim in the Old Note 4, stay Sim Only £22.80 deal and use both phones.
2. Sell one, and buy an S7 Edge/Other Phone.
3. Sell one, and upgrade.

Not sure what to do...

Edit: I remember the phone kept saying: mmc_read failed .

Is that hardware of battery issue? I know it's slightly off topic but I'd rather not waste money on a dead phone or sell it to someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781