Very strange battery problem solved

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Just to demonstrate how difficult it can be to solve battery problems:

About 2 weeks ago, when sitting around the house my battery drain jumped from 1-2% per hour to 7-8% per hour. Although i didn't correlate the two at the time, outlook 2013 on my desktop started failing to login to office365.com. In the meantime I found good reason to do a factory reset on my wife's nexus 10. It absolutely would not set up exchange to office 365. I tried trace routing my way to office365.com on the desktop and it was trying to use ipv6 and failing after 2 hops. I went into my AT&T u-verse router, disabled ipv6, and BAM! outlook connected right up via ipv4. So did the Nexus. My battery life dropped back to 1-2% per hour. Apparently, when connected to wifi, my S7E was trying and trying to use ipv6 until it failed and fell back to ipv4.

So I used "chat" to AT&T to complain about ipv6 and the guy on the other end, after an hour of trying, simply could not understand what i was saying. So I called them. The rep understood, ran all these tests, and after another hour couldn't figure it out. I had two choices pay money for ConnectTech (or something like that) or have a serviceman come to the house. So I had the service man out.

He arrived, and I showed him how ipv6 worked to get DNS, but then failed to route. He was pretty good. He called his supervisor, because it was obviously nothing in my equipment, but rather a problem at their central office. The supervisor said, yes, they know about that, its been bad for a week or two! DAMN! Why didn't they list it as a known problem to all those chat and phone reps. About 2.5 hours of life gone forever.

But, now I know why my batteries were draining and outlook was failing. Problem solved by turning off ipv6 in the router, i'll wait a week and try turning it on again.

And that is why battery drain problems can be so difficult to trace down and solve.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Uverse has a weird implementation for ipv6 which causes all kinds of problems.

I learned early on to just disable it at the modem and then turn it off on my machines since it will be unavailable anyway.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Nice detective work! I'm used to seeing IPv6 problems as a reason why people can't seem to sync with Google servers, but this is the first I've heard of it contributing to battery drain.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae