S7 Edge - Am I crazy?

philliplavelle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, don't answer that because I know the answer!

But I just can't get my head around this phone. And I really want to.

**Disclaimer - this is not me bashing the S7 Edge. Just talking you through my situation**

Here's the deal. I got an S7 Edge back in March when they first came out. Back then, I was living in Britain and I got the UK version unlocked from Samsung. It was lovely and I remember it occasionally got hot but was ok.

In fact there were only two reasons I got rid after a month. One was that I couldn't resolve my fear of what happens if that screen breaks. I had bought a cheap tempered glass protector on eBay but it was rubbish. And I was so paranoid about cracking the screen. The other was that my car at the time has Apple CarPlay built in. But not Android Auto. So I reluctantly went back to my iPhone 6S Plus.

Fast forward to September and I moved to the US. I still freaking love the look of this device and I am a frustrated wannabe Android user at heart. So I went to the T-Mobile Store and bought one (that's my network.). Man, this thing was laaaaaggggyy. And it got really warm to the touch. So I took it back (and paid a $50 restocking fee - something, as a Brit, I am not used to.). And back I went to iPhone.

Then, a few weeks back, I thought "I gotta give this device another try" (seeing a pattern here?) so I went and bought another one. I set it up with all my apps and moves my SIM card into it.

And it was laaaaaggggyy again. Like, to the point of being unusable.
I did a drive from one side of LA to the other using Google Play to stream music over Android Auto and Google Maps to get me there. I started the journey with about 80% battery and when I got to my destination, the phone had 83% battery. And it was boiling hot to the touch (I say this because I plug my iPhone into the car and it charges to full while doing the same thing with Apple Maps/Apple Music) with no warmth.

I took it out of the car and just getting it to do anything was a nightmare. Like, swiping down was taking ten seconds to respond. Opening apps was like wading through treacle. It felt like I was using a $100 phone from eBay, not a premium $800 device.

That night, I did a Whatsapp Video call with a friend. Ten mins or so. The battery went down a good few percent but the phone got so hot again. It can't be right. Back that went with another $50 restocking fee.

I really really want to like this phone. I just can't figure out why it is so laggy. Is this T-Mobile's software doing this? It doesn't seem too heavy on bloatware.

FYI, I was running Nova Launcher and a live wallpaper but it is a live wallpaper I've used on Android phones before over the years and runs perfectly on my UK One Plus 3.

So right now, I'm back on my iPhone 7, lusting after the S7. I see so many people saying how great they are. It can't just be me, surely?

I *may* have picked up an LG V20 instead. But as lovely as it is, I just look at the S7 Edge and lust after it. I really wanna give it another go, but I just can't see it not being the same issue. And I was too late to join the beta programme.

Talk about first world problems.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The only difference I can see is that software on US versions are tampered by carriers, and that they are using a SnapDragon instead of of Samsung's in house Exynos processors.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Many reviews say the Exynos performs better and has better battery management compared to the Snapdragon, but videos I've seen didn't show them as laggy.

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I have the S7 edge from Tmobile. It doesn't have major lag but a tad, just like my Note 7 had some lag. I bought a V20 unlocked and used Tmobile Sim and man does this thing fly, little lag at all and overall is a smooth and fast device, plus got the flat screen too!

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I love how the V20 flies. And the screen is beautiful. It's just a tad too big. And nowhere near as sexy

I have it in a Otterbox Defender right now so the thing is HUGE. Yea it isn't sexy, but it's built like a tank for power using. That's what I want in a phone.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I have it in a Otterbox Defender right now so the thing is HUGE. Yea it isn't sexy, but it's built like a tank for power using. That's what I want in a phone.
I got my daughter an iPhone 6s plus and am a little jealous about her screen size it is noticeably bigger than my 7 Edge LOL

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
You can't really remove the fear of the screen breaking. You just need to treat it like an expensive electronic device and don't abuse it. Accidents may occasionally happen. But, you limit the potential if take care of it properly. I am not even sure the best of cases will fully protect you from damage. Some people who are prone to dropping their phones should probably get a rugged case, though.
It sounds like you just got 2 lemons. If everyone had the problems you are having, this phone would not have such great reviews.
Also, if you just returned it due to manufacturing defect and replaced it, there shouldn't be any restock fee. From what I read, it sounds like you bailed after the first bad T-mobile one.
FWIW, my T-mobile phone works great. If you really like the phone, I would give it another shot. If you feel you have a bad one, exchange it early and there shouldn't be a problem.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to hear about the issues. All I can say is that I've never experienced any of that with my S7E on Verizon. No noticeable lag, at least compared to my Nexus 6P. Very fast and fluid interface. I'm not running Nova (usually do, but don't find the need with the S7E's built in 5x5 grid) nor am I using live wallpapers.

I've not tried a trip with mapping through my Android Auto stereo yet, though. I've never really had the phone get warm/hot, but it would not surprise me if that use got it warm. I'll have to test that out soon.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Huh? Both have the same screen size.
They are most certainly not the same size I held them side-by-side and the 6s Plus definitely has a larger screen area it may look a little different as well because it does not have the curve but it is noticeably larger

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
They are most certainly not the same size I held them side-by-side and the 6s Plus definitely has a larger screen area it may look a little different as well because it does not have the curve but it is noticeably larger
They are both 5.5 inches. The larger phone body and the flat vs curved screen are giving you optical illusions. The iPhone body is as big as a Note 5's with a 5.7 inch screen but the screen itself is the same size as the S7. It has about the same dimensions as a 5.5inch Note 2. You can take rulers to both phones and you'll see them to be both 5.5 inches.

HIV

Oct 11, 2016
Visit site

Nope, it's just that apple can't manage to make the top and bottom bezels close to acceptable. They are extremely oversized.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
At any rate I liked the size of the screen on the 6s plus and that it's flat. Hoping the S8/note 8 have a flat version or the less curved design like the Note 7