Gboard on SG7E

SupermanJon707

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
Just got the Gboard update on my Verizon SG7E last night

Works pretty great!

- Love searching for things within the keyboard!
- GiF insertion
- Smileys are more easily accessible

I wish there was a option to pad the sides like in Nova Launcher to move the keys a little bit farther away from the edge

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Just got the Gboard update on my Verizon SG7E last night

Works pretty great!

- Love searching for things within the keyboard!
- GiF insertion
- Smileys are more easily accessible

I wish there was a option to pad the sides like in Nova Launcher to move the keys a little bit farther away from the edge

Anyone else have any thoughts on it?
I'm trying it out and it's pretty close to the experience I've had with Swiftkey (with number row on) with the added bonus of a more accessible button to shift to one hand operation. My only problem is the layout. I'm getting an Ñ button on my language beside the L button, so it's wonky, leading to more mistakes than Swiftkey. But something I could get used to. Plus there's an actual black theme. So far, good outweighs the bad for me.

Edit:
Oh yeah, the lack of side padding on the S7 Edge is not helping.

Last edited:

Norg

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded it, will give it a workout over the next few days and report back. First impressions are very good!

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Had to go back to Swiftkey and it's not yet even one day. It doesn't add a space after punctuation marks. How stupid is that. So far the only thing it has over Swiftkey in my view is a proper all black theme.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Had to go back to Swiftkey and it's not yet even one day. It doesn't add a space after punctuation marks. How stupid is that. So far the only thing it has over Swiftkey in my view is a proper all black theme.

It's definitely all about what you're used to and muscle memory because the main reason I could never get used to Swiftkey is because it adds that space. Drives me mad as I always end up with double spacing.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
It's definitely all about what you're used to and muscle memory because the main reason I could never get used to Swiftkey is because it adds that space. Drives me mad as I always end up with double spacing.
At least give the option to remove it or not. Drives me crazy. It's one more additional tap. Lol. I may get back to it and try it out again, but I'm already having a lot of mistakes because for some reason they decided to add the Ñ in the keyboard when set to my language and its not even that much used.

8035c6a980c0340e8cc85d6f0b662d8d.jpg

Edit: Now that I'm back on Swiftkey, I'm missing the quick search and the easy access to one hand keyboard. This is getting annoying. Lol.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I wonder how long does it take to train the motions to get used to a new way, seeing as it's the most used thing on a phone probably. I didn't give SK a chance, but I'd be interested to see how long it'd take.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I wonder how long does it take to train the motions to get used to a new way, seeing as it's the most used thing on a phone probably. I didn't give SK a chance, but I'd be interested to see how long it'd take.
Two weeks or so of use. At least that's my case. Based on experience. I used to jump around keyboards a lot before biting the bullet and buying Swiftkey.

I'm back on Gboard, and the lack of padding is annoying. Lol.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
You guys are nuts. Swiftkey, Gboard, Swiftkey, Gboard lol. I'm not any better. I above Gboard on Pixel XL and Swiftkey on S7 Edge. Been using Swiftkey For as long as I remember. Liking Gboard but not convinced in fully switching yet. Its really all about memory muscles. So used to Swiftkey.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm impressed with the development of the keyboard.. not long ago, Google's was really bare bones... You could type, but that was it. Now it's feature rich... And integrating Google search is a killer feature. Being able to run a search and add it to the text without having to pop out and cut and paste or share is great.

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
OK.... I see that Samsung's Messenger app does not allow me to insert a GIF from Gboard nor does Verizon's Messenge+ app.

Am I missing a setting or just out of luck?

sweetypie31

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
OK.... I see that Samsung's Messenger app does not allow me to insert a GIF from Gboard nor does Verizon's Messenge+ app.

Am I missing a setting or just out of luck?
Some of the apps won't let you. I tried with Facebook messenger and Twitter. Neither would let me insert gif, but textra did. Haven't tried anything else yet.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I did as well. There was another thread on Gboard I replied to yesterday. I don't like the predictive text having the obvious option on the left instead of the middle. It just slows me down.
Also, I don't like that it doesn't have the option to hold the back button back for a second to delete full words.
I'm using a black keyboard now on SwiftKey. What is your definition of a "proper" black theme?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I did as well. There was another thread on Gboard I replied to yesterday. I don't like the predictive text having the obvious option on the left instead of the middle. It just slows me down.
Also, I don't like that it doesn't have the option to hold the back button back for a second to delete full words.
I'm using a black keyboard now on SwiftKey. What is your definition of a "proper" black theme?
Swiftkey doesn't have any true black theme. They're all dark gray. I have an AMOLED screen and using a black theme, hence the Swiftkey themes are obviously gray because the background is darker than the keyboard. There are only 2 themes by Swiftkey that are using real black, and those are the ones in the Vivid pack, but not only do they not have the secondary characters showing on the keys, they also have that neon bar for the suggestions. A proper black theme is like the one on the picture I posted earlier from Gboard.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Swiftkey doesn't have any true black theme. They're all dark gray. I have an AMOLED screen and using a black theme, hence the Swiftkey themes are obviously gray because the background is darker than the keyboard. There are only 2 themes by Swiftkey that are using real black, and those are the ones in the Vivid pack, but not only do they not have the secondary characters showing on the keys, they also have that neon bar for the suggestions. A proper black theme is like the one on the picture I posted earlier from Gboard.

The theme I'm using does not have the secondary characters on the keys, but I don't have any neon bar. I have been slowly learning where my most used punctuation characters are hidden.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The theme I'm using does not have the secondary characters on the keys, but I don't have any neon bar. I have been slowly learning where my most used punctuation characters are hidden.
What theme? I've tried high contrast, thats dark gray too. If you're talking about minimal black, that's just dark gray too based on the borders of the keyboard and my wallpaper. But truthfully, Minimal Black and High Contrast looks the same to me.

2b619d6663c3008f0bbf0ed8c6f96fdb.jpg

You can clearly see on the picture that the minimal black theme is lighter than my black background. And it's the lack of the secondary keys that I find annoying.