Horrible battery life coming from Note 7 to S7 Edge

Law2138

Trusted Member
Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a general rant.

I love the freedom and the fact that Android is open source. Customization to make your device as simple or complex as I want. Themes, icons, SD cards. I love it all.

Battery management might be an art meaning that everyone has a different interpretation as to what "decent" is. Or it might be a science in which we are searching for the formula that ensures the best battery life possible. However, with so many variables, the formula can never be the same unless users are running the same apps, on the same service, in the same location, with the same radios turned on, etc.

All I want for Christmas...(probably in 2017) is to forget about managing a battery and let the software determine what's best based on my habits.

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure whether or not to be surprised by this.

By nature (large battery), your S7 Edge should be giving you fantastic battery life, mine certainly is doing a great job of it, I easily get 6-7hours SOT
with a mix of 4G LTE and WiFi, while I get up to 9hours if I'm mostly on WiFi.

With that said, the below has to be considered:
Just to add, the software on the Note7 is not identical to the S7E. I believe there's a lot more device optimization on the Note7, which has made its way to the S7 Beta as well.
And with this taken into consideration, I think the S7 Edge will be much better in Nougat.

In fact I think the S7E will be better than what the Note7 was after Nougat Update, as it has the larger battery and less processes (no SPen, Iris Scanner etc... To run).

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
I hope Nougat doesn't mess up battery life. It certainly did in the Nexus 6P world. But I think they have a better handle on it now. One of the advantages of getting Nougat later than some others is a (hopefully) more stable release. It was mess in the 6P world at first. That was my first experience with the a Google phone and "getting the updates first". I learned it's not always good to get the updates first. You're just Beta testing for Google a lot of the time.

As I said above, my S7E is better on battery life than my N7 was. By far, the best battery life of any phone I've owned. Maybe it was a Gen2 N7 thing, though. I always wondered if they'd rushed the re-release a bit.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Just a general rant.

I love the freedom and the fact that Android is open source. Customization to make your device as simple or complex as I want. Themes, icons, SD cards. I love it all.

Battery management might be an art meaning that everyone has a different interpretation as to what "decent" is. Or it might be a science in which we are searching for the formula that ensures the best battery life possible. However, with so many variables, the formula can never be the same unless users are running the same apps, on the same service, in the same location, with the same radios turned on, etc.

All I want for Christmas...(probably in 2017) is to forget about managing a battery and let the software determine what's best based on my habits.
Great post, and I agree. Why doesn't Android come with a built in System app that tells you exactly what apps are using most of the battery? Who wouldn't want to know that? Tools like that would add to the OS satisfaction, IMO.

Having said that though, I feel like my S7E is finally the phone that gets it all right as far as self management. Just awesome battery life, and I'm not doing anything outside the box on it. No Doze apps, no root, no macros, wifi and BT on all the time. I turned off NFC, wifi searching, stuff like that, but I've always done that on all my Android devices.

My biggest fear is that some future update is going to screw it up!

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Great post, and I agree. Why doesn't Android come with a built in System app that tells you exactly what apps are using most of the battery? Who wouldn't want to know that? Tools like that would add to the OS satisfaction, IMO.

Having said that though, I feel like my S7E is finally the phone that gets it all right as far as self management. Just awesome battery life, and I'm not doing anything outside the box on it. No Doze apps, no root, no macros, wifi and BT on all the time. I turned off NFC, wifi searching, stuff like that, but I've always done that on all my Android devices.

Nougat update will bring that feature.

crolikman

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Samsung pushed the micro updates to all N7 that prevent people from using them through crippling the charging function. Not sure if those updates are carrier-issued or not...

Tachead7075

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site

Just download GSam, problem solved.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Just download GSam, problem solved.
Not really. Gsam does an okay job, at best, especially the non-root version. It's better than nothing, but it often times gives no indication of an app that is chewing up battery in the background. Surprisingly, no app is very good at pinpointing those. I found that out with my rooted Nexus 6P, as we were always chasing those apps since pretty much every little update upset at least one app, until the developer could update it. The leading edge of Android updates is for sure the bleeding edge, too.

Tachead7075

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Not really. Gsam does an okay job, at best, especially the non-root version. It's better than nothing, but it often times gives no indication of an app that is chewing up battery in the background. Surprisingly, no app is very good at pinpointing those. I found that out with my rooted Nexus 6P, as we were always chasing those apps since pretty much every little update upset at least one app, until the developer could update it. The leading edge of Android updates is for sure the bleeding edge, too.
That may be true, I only recently started using it but, it seams to work well so far.

I have to say I must be lucky. I have been running Android since the BlackBerry hay days and have never had one issue. My phones have always been snappy and lag free. And, I don't even spend much time cleaning up caches or anything. I just don't get why some people have so much trouble? I do try to only run top rated apps and don't mess around with OS's too much though. I just leave TW stock for the most part, update regularly, clean up the odd time, and use the phone.

parth00790

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
ok you can try this stepwise

1 download battery calibration app from play store
https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...APPU_19_2SReWK_tKYXivASxg6-oBA&token=-Q0D-lz6

then repair battery pro .

2.Now use your device untill it drains total battery .

3. charge in turn off mode to 100 ℅
4 . start phone with out plugging out and grant root permission ( if rooted )
5. open battery calibration and follow calibration steps .
6. after this go to second one downloaded and follow instructions to fix battery cells .

Done .
if the problem still persists then may be any hardware fault is there.
inform me about further
good luck

parth00790

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
just drain your battery till it shut down and change it while turned off .
use battery callibration app first and then repair battery life pro from play store to fix software issues .

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site

Bang on!

I am the same. Haven't installed Package Disabler or Greenify, I have just disabled apps I never use in the built-in App Manager, and same things you mentioned.

I am getting fantastic battery life here.

What must be noted though is that WiFi is a hell of a lot more frugal than 3G or 4G LTE on this phone.

On a mix of WiFi plus 4G LTE I get 5-7hours SOT, on a more WiFi biased usage I can get to 9hours SOT, and with 3G or 4G LTE, I will get around just over 5hours SOT.

Either way, I can rely on this phone to get me well past 15hours off charge without a worry. :)

parth00790

Dec 24, 2016
Visit site
bro i am not saying that it's faulty device . i am talking about battery issues which users are reported and they are just software issues like bad battery stats etc .
and by the way battery life of my moto is also great without spending so much bucks 😂😂😂
310e61fa1317cd08d55dae79bc1321a3.jpg

played modern combat 5 online almost 2 hours still have 5 hours

Cakefish

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Changing this setting from the default 'always' helps a lot with reducing idle drain. Has had the biggest impact of any battery friendly tweak I've tried by far.

29590e8f1ff43b82223c78727dfb9855.jpg

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
bro i am not saying that it's faulty device . i am talking about battery issues which users are reported and they are just software issues like bad battery stats etc .
and by the way battery life of my moto is also great without spending so much bucks ??????????????????
//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161225/310e61fa1317cd08d55dae79bc1321a3.jpg

played modern combat 5 online almost 2 hours still have 5 hours
I think you're mis-reading that. Says 3 hours left, but looking at the scale and seeing you're down to 50% after 2 hours, I'd say you really have 2 hours left playing that game.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gkapidis