Spigen Cases Won't Protect Phone

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I have owned two S7 Edge phones since the first week of march and on both, I had a Spigen case on. Yesterday, I tripped on some stairs with one of the phones on my hand and the display shattered in the lower left corner. The case has a scrape on it where it hit the concrete and the case was pretty much worthless for protection other then looking good. There is also a crack that goes up the left edge panel that you can see on the pic.

HUGE FAIL.

I'm not gonna repair the phone now this late in the phone season since the S8 will be out sometime around April or so and I still have another S7 Edge. I won't be bringing it to work with me though, maybe I'll be using my Note 5 with it's Otterbox or an iPhone for work. Last winter, I dropped my iPhone 6S+ on my driveway and the Apple leather case protected it 100%.

This is the first phone I have ever broken the display on.

20161225_103140.jpg

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I never liked their cases. I had one for my S6 and the edges are sharp on them.

I have the Defender for the S7 edge and it works good and the screen protector is very clear and doesn't allow dust under it. However I've seen some of the Defenders having a cloudy screen protector. Don't know if Otterbox midway through production changed the materials used for it or what.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I've always used Spigen SlimArmors. In fact just bought one a couple of hours ago because I'm starting to find the leather OEM case too light. Dang. Maybe I should haved picked up the Incipio instead. I was indecisive and asked the seller, who recommended the Spigen over the Incipio.

YMarkY

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
It depends on HOW the phone lands, and what it lands on. I dropped mine last week running up some steps leaving a train station and it didn't break. But I attribute that to not landing on the face.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've always used Spigen SlimArmors. In fact just bought one a couple of hours ago because I'm starting to find the leather OEM case too light. Dang. Maybe I should haved picked up the Incipio instead. I was indecisive and asked the seller, who recommended the Spigen over the Incipio.

Hey man sell me the leather case if you're done with it :p where are you located?

Hahaha I'm kidding.

Lately I've been on a phone cover hunt as well.

I got a very slim and minimal black matte hard plastic cover when I got the phone. It didn't even cover the sides and top and bottom. So I switched to spigen thin fit. It's my favourite case to date. It's slim, matte and looks stealthy with my black s7 edge.

After a while I needed some more protection for my outdoors activity so I got a UAG composite slim case. While it's really nice to look at its not very ergonomic.

Meanwhile I tried some other cheap cases too but I keep going back to the Spigen slim fit.

This post has nothing to do with the original post. Well if it helps I think the UAG case will suit perfectly for your use. It's reinforced on the corners and it's amazing to look at.

UAG case
Style: 10 on 10
Protection: 9 on 10
Ergonomics: 5 on 10

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Hey man sell me the leather case if you're done with it where are you located?

Hahaha I'm kidding.

South East Asia. It's going to probably cost me more to send it to you than buying a new one. Lol. What's funny though is that here, I can buy an OEM leather case from almost every Samsung Brick and Mortar store with no problems. They've got a lot of stock.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
South East Asia. It's going to probably cost me more to send it to you than buying a new one. Lol. What's funny though is that here, I can buy an OEM leather case from almost every Samsung Brick and Mortar store with no problems. They've got a lot of stock.

I'm from Pakistan. Here, they do have Samsung stores but they don't sell the leather option. They only sell the wallet, clear and led cases.
I really love the leather case. Wish they had it here.
Anyways, I was just kidding man :) you enjoy your leather case. Has it worn out like real leather do?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I'm from Pakistan. Here, they do have Samsung stores but they don't sell the leather option. They only sell the wallet, clear and led cases.
I really love the leather case. Wish they had it here.
Anyways, I was just kidding man :) you enjoy your leather case. Has it worn out like real leather do?
No it's not worn out yet. I just want a change. Plus I keep leaving my phone around because I hardly feel it in my pocket. So I got a Spigen which is bulkier and heavier.

anon(9408097)

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
No it's not worn out yet. I just want a change. Plus I keep leaving my phone around because I hardly feel it in my pocket. So I got a Spigen which is bulkier and heavier.

No no the wearing out makes it look even better in my opinion.

Anyways, best of luck with your purchase!

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've dropped my S7 Edge (work phone) many times, and the spigen case has protected it with no issues. As you can tell in the pic below, the case has taken abuse.

Attachments

• 20170108_163415799_iOS.jpg
    20170108_163415799_iOS.jpg
    423 KB · Views: 41

rpboronat

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped my S7 Edge (work phone) many times, and the spigen case has protected it with no issues. As you can tell in the pic below, the case has taken abuse.
I think same as you. I have the same case and it has save my Galaxy S7 Edge a lot of times.

Btravelen

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I don't believe there's a single case out there that will provide much protection, if any, to the front screen of the Edge. The design is cool, but the way the screen is elevated prevents a case design that doesn't hinder the Edge features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20