Google keeps asking me to review restaurants and stores. How do I turn this crap off?

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
It gets old having a pop up every time I'm at a store or restaurant. I've done some searching, and the closest I can find is to turn Questions about Places off in Google Maps, but I have and it's still happening.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Apparently if you review enough or post enough pics of places you can get some slight rewards. The only one I saw I was vaguely interested in was 50 photos/reviews gets you 100gb of google drive for a year. At least I think that's what it was.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I am pretty certain this is part of Google Maps, not Google Now.

Open Maps, tap the hamburger menu at top left, tap Settings, tap Notifications, tap Your Contributions.

torbach1

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Actually, I am pretty certain this is part of Google Maps, not Google Now.

Open Maps, tap the hamburger menu at top left, tap Settings, tap Notifications, tap Your Contributions.

That's correct, it is a Google Maps thing. It also doesn't start on its own. It would have asked you at some point if you want to provide additional information about places you visit.

Misterb

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's correct, it is a Google Maps thing. It also doesn't start on its own. It would have asked you at some point if you want to provide additional information about places you visit.

Like I said originally, I turned off the option in Google maps, but it was still doing it. This other fix seems to have taken care of it though. It didn't bug me at any if the stores or restaurants I went to today

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Like I said originally, I turned off the option in Google maps, but it was still doing it. This other fix seems to have taken care of it though. It didn't bug me at any if the stores or restaurants I went to today

Very interesting. I wonder if it is part of *both* Google Maps *and* Google Now?

jdballard

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site

Unfortunately, if you've never used Google Maps, you don't really know what that means. Good to know how to turn it off!

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think I figured it out, it's in:

Google Now > Settings > Notifications > Your Feed > Places
Thank you for posting this. Both Google Maps and Google now can provide these types of notifications.

It can be a real head scratcher. Hopefully this will help minimize future head scratching🤕

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't have Google Now on my Galaxy S5. Is there something else I should do other than turn all the Maps Contributions off?
Yes you do. It's not a separate app. It's part of the built in Google app (shows up on long press of the home button, unless you set that up to be S Voice). The only way for you to not have Google Now is if you deliberately uninstalled the Google app.

tjjharris

Dec 25, 2017
Visit site
It gets old having a pop up every time I'm at a store or restaurant. I've done some searching, and the closest I can find is to turn Questions about Places off in Google Maps, but I have and it's still happening.

Make the entire world a better place for yourself and everyone around you when you turn off notifications that do not truly serve your intentions in your life. Simplify, becalm, re-JOYce.

1. Open "Settings" on your Android device.
2. Scroll down to Device > Notifications.
3. Scroll down to and select "Maps".
4. When it loads, touch/open the "gear" icon - it will open the settings for "Maps".
5. There, you may select from the plethora of notification settings for Google Maps. You will likely find more things to turn off (or on) there, but the one you seek was found on my phone at the top: "Questions about Places". You may also want to also toggle "off" several of the other requests for your contributions, e.g. "Adding your photos".

There are several others which I found equally intrusive as the insistence that you help others, rate your location, rate your restaurant, etc.

My own editorial justification:
So much of life's already pressing anxieties seem to me driven by such unnecessary complexities as this, like deleting incoming spam malware in the form of faux ads that click-bait you to go-to, buy-from, or unsubscribe-from and thereby more than likely infect your system with ransomware. (MALware + AD spam I refer to as "Malade-ware" or "maladyware").

Making life simpler at every turn allows Joy, Love, Power, to replace annoyance, which is ultimately low-level fear at its root, clinging to wanting things to be other than they are with the sense of powerlessness from the tech-world's bombardment of annoyances from everywhere; never ending, that we can't make the annoyance stop. No peace = no Joy = No true happiness. This is ultimately the killer of a mindset and "heartset" of peace and love which can only be truly experienced in the moment -- now -- and is constantly displaced by the low-level anger that such annoyances bring, and its root -- fear. Love and fear cannot coexist...they are opposites. One is anchored in past and future, the other in your true self when you are present.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463