Question on "Fast charging" USB cable that comes with S7 Edge

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Recently purchased the S7 Edge.

The USB cable it comes with provides "fast charging" at least when plugged it sometimes indicates that.

Would it be possible to purchase another "fast charging" similar to the one that came with the S7 edge from another vendor? If so, can someone suggest brand and/or model number?

Please let me know. Thanks.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
No. Samsung uses a proprietary fast charging plug. It's not the cable that gives the fast charging, but the charging block. You can use any good quality cable for fast charging, provided you use the Samsung charging head given to you.

Dngrsone

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Keep an eye on Anker; they will likely come out with a compatible fast charger.

Frankly, my S7E charges pretty darn fast off my 2a Anker chargers and batteries, and I see no need to use the one that came with the phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Keep an eye on Anker; they will likely come out with a compatible fast charger.

Frankly, my S7E charges pretty darn fast off my 2a Anker chargers and batteries, and I see no need to use the one that came with the phone.
The built in one slices off only 20min in total charging time when used in fast charge mode. And fast charge mode only works when below 60%.

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Based on your suggestion, I am trying to figure out which cable to order in order to charge my S7 Edge with the existing Samsung Block.

Is this the correct spec?

"USB 2.0 Hi-Speed A to Micro-B Coiled Cable (M/M), 3 ft"

It looks correct but I'd like to confirm.

jaltman

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
Any Qualcomm 2.0 or 3.0 compatible charging block will fast charge our phones. I have a 6 port Cheotech with 2 ports that are Qualcomm 2.0 and those ports fast charge just fine.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Not true, Mine said rapid charging and my phone is at 86%.
I know what I'm talking about. The phone still says it's Fast Charging. But it's not that fast anymore. Once it hits 60%, charging has slowed down to not destroy the battery. It takes considerably longer to charge from 90-100%, as compared to 0-10%. The S7 uses tech based off qualcomm quick charge 2.0.

https://www.google.com.ph/amp/www.u...m-quick-charge/amp/?client=ms-android-samsung

The S6 and S7 share the same quick charge tech (2.0), with the only difference being that the S6 has smaller batteries, hence charges faster. Here is a test where they timed the S6 charging.

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/03/3...-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-this-is-what-happened/

The relevant part is:

"Here is the timing breakdown during our charge:

Started at 5%
5 minutes in – 14%
15 minutes in – 32%
40 minutes in – 76%
50 minutes in – 88%
72 minutes in – 100%"

0-14% in 5 minutes. 88-100% (12%) in 12 minutes. That's more than twice as slow.

This technology is also one of the reasons why Quick Charging was initially one of the suspects for the Note7 explosions, with people wondering if Samsung made a mistake in implementation, making the battery charge too fast to 100% causing it to explode.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Cleaned up some posts. If you want to be helpful / contribute to the conversation then by all means go ahead. If you want to just be toxic please take it elsewhere. Thanks.

atomarchio

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Based on your suggestion, I am trying to figure out which cable to order in order to charge my S7 Edge with the existing Samsung Block.

Is this the correct spec?

"USB 2.0 Hi-Speed A to Micro-B Coiled Cable (M/M), 3 ft"

It looks correct but I'd like to confirm.

Does anyone know if the micro B connector is compatible with S7 edge?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2