Thinking of returning S7 edge, heard about explosions

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
My wife read online of several s7 edge exploding. I googled and this seems to be common with iPhone also.
I boxed it up and reactivated my iPhone 6s plus.
But I really enjoyed the s7 and am having second thoughts. I got it with Verizon Christmas deal, free VR and lower monthly payments.

I honestly do not know what to so, should i take a chance?

Thanks

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Any phone explodes. You can Google almost any relevant phone model and you'll find reports of it exploding. The chance is very minimal. The Note 7 itself only had less than 1% of units exploded. Out of the millions sold, there was approximately 100 reports of explosions. The S7 and iPhone chances are even smaller than that. You're more likely to get a stroke than to have your phone catch fire.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
As you found, all of the phones have a few of them melting down. But do whatever makes you feel safe and secure. I owned a Gen 2 Note 7 that I turned in once the 2nd recall started. Never had an issue with it, but not worth the risk to have it in my house. But those numbers were a lot higher than the S7E or iPhones, so I'm not worried about it.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
I had heard about that when I went to get the 7edge right after the Note 7, but so far I haven't seen issues. I did go back and forth between the lg v20 and this one but the 8edge kept winning me over.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I actually had an HTC phone that "exploded" it got so hot the battery bubbled up... i shut it off before it caused damage. Ive had LG phones that got very hot, ive had Samsung phones that have gotten very hot, ive also had iphones that have gotten hot. So i dont think the "exploding" is just related to Samsung phones. My husbands moto turbo 2 gets so hot that it shuts itself off....
The S7 edge is a very good phone unless yours gets really hot i would keep using it. Ive had my edge for a while without any issues.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
My wife read online of several s7 edge exploding. I googled and this seems to be common with iPhone also.
I boxed it up and reactivated my iPhone 6s plus.
But I really enjoyed the s7 and am having second thoughts. I got it with Verizon Christmas deal, free VR and lower monthly payments.

I honestly do not know what to so, should i take a chance?

Thanks

If you Googled it and it seems common with the iPhone also, why did you reactivate your 6s then out of curiosity?

The phone will get hot when using VR for extended periods of time. Other than that there's nothing to worry about IMO. In browsing many Android sites/forums/Reddit, is this was such a widespread issue like the Note 7, this would've been heard about some time ago. The phone has been out for almost a year now. Google any phone (other than the Note 7) and you'll see there are an issue or two here and there.

farocco

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
I reactivated the 6s on impulse because my wife was worried when she read that. I then googled and saw that it is quite common with all phones. I also read that the S7 scratches easy and this would freak me out.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
What 3 do you have? I might get a 2nd phone.

You know i have an addiction! LOL. I usually only have 2 phones an iPhone and an android phone... but i ended up with my ip 7+, s7 edge and a note 5 that had a build date of June 2016 that someone was selling for way cheap.. Couldnt resist! hard to find a note with a newer build date... LOL.

Ive been wanting to try the LG V20... but have not found one yet.

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
You know i have an addiction! LOL. I usually only have 2 phones an iPhone and an android phone... but i ended up with my ip 7+, s7 edge and a note 5 that had a build date of June 2016 that someone was selling for way cheap.. Couldnt resist! hard to find a note with a newer build date... LOL.
I may get a Note 5 if I can snag one off Amazon that isn't international. I wouldn't have the 7edge if the Note 5 was still offered thru my carrier. How do you like the iPhone7Plus. I was peeking at that..

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
It's not the phones causing the fires, it's the battery technology being used. Lithium batteries have a failure rate. Lithium batteries are great because they can pack a lot of power in small space and they don't have memory issues, but like everything there's a cost, they are more prone to failure for whatever reason. It's not just phones, laptops and anything with lithium batteries have a chance of going up in flames, but it's still a small enough number to have the risk.

And kudos to the OP for researching and finding that it's not just a Samsung issue.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I may get a Note 5 if I can snag one off Amazon that isn't international. I wouldn't have the 7edge if the Note 5 was still offered thru my carrier. How do you like the iPhone7Plus. I was peeking at that..
Might want to jump over to the note 5 forum... They are reporting horrible battery life with the note 5 after the last couple updates.

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
You could check Swappa as well for a used Note 5.

Its an iPhone.. mine has the camera freezing bug and im not really that impressed with the camera this year. The screen resolution bothers me as well going from amoled 530 PPI to LCD 401 PPI I can see the difference. Some say that the eyes cant tell the difference after a certain PPI, but I swear that I can see it LOL.
Only other thing that bugs me is Oh I want this ringtone, so I edit the song make my ringtone but OH I have to hook it up to the computer to get the dang thing on my phone! Bugs me… Other then that no complaints.

The front facing speakers are louder. The battery is amazing. No headphone jack bugged me for a little bit, but I got used to it….
Id say try it… but honestly every phone ive had this year something is missing. im just not quite happy with any of them…

amyf27

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
You could check Swappa as well for a used Note 5.

Its an iPhone.. mine has the camera freezing bug and im not really that impressed with the camera this year. The screen resolution bothers me as well going from amoled 530 PPI to LCD 401 PPI I can see the difference. Some say that the eyes cant tell the difference after a certain PPI, but I swear that I can see it LOL.
Only other thing that bugs me is Oh I want this ringtone, so I edit the song make my ringtone but OH I have to hook it up to the computer to get the dang thing on my phone! Bugs me… Other then that no complaints.

The front facing speakers are louder. The battery is amazing. No headphone jack bugged me for a little bit, but I got used to it….
Id say try it… but honestly every phone ive had this year something is missing. im just not quite happy with any of them…
I have an amazon account so if I get a Note 5 it'll be on there. That hooking up to a pc kills me. Do you really have to do that? I thought Iphone 7 didn't need that

Tarah Sorber

Trusted Member
Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I have an amazon account so if I get a Note 5 it'll be on there. That hooking up to a pc kills me. Do you really have to do that? I thought Iphone 7 didn't need that

If i purchase a ringtone though itunes it automatically downloads. Half the songs i want as ringtones are not avail on itunes. So if i use an app and edit the the song and create a ringtone i have to hook it up to the PC... even if i download tones from Zedge you have to hook it up to the PC. annoying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance