Is the S7 Edge flagship of the year or V20?

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
I currently have both devices and like both devices for certain features. Is the S7 edge still better than the V20 despite being out since mid March? Which phone would you choose?

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I currently have both devices and like both devices for certain features. Is the S7 edge still better than the V20 despite being out since mid March? Which phone would you choose?
I would choose the S7e and Pixel XL over the V20

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Why the S7 edge over v20?
Just the little things nothing major mind you. The V20 is a great phone. I wish it had a screen on off button on the side of the device. I switch phones a lot......With the V20 you have to take out the battery to switch sims or take out the SD card. My S7 edge on the nougat beta is soooooo smooth and battery life is like 30 minutes longer.

Fit24

Trusted Member
Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any experience with the V20, but based on what I've read I'd probably still choose the Samsung Galaxy S7 edge.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Which one did you pick?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
V20. It has features I prefer. 5.7 inch screen. Flat screen. ir blaster. Nougat. s7e is flashier. Prettier. If I had to pick a phone of the year it would be the Pixel but I prefer the V20.

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
the S7 Edge is a slick sexy phone & it's got great specs to boot. The Pixel XL is great software side, but doesn't beat it on looks department. Considering it came late in 2016 and it's roughly the same in performance to the S7 Edge, i can't vote it No.1. However those two i can happily use as my daily driver anyday.

jejb

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It's all in the eyes of beholder. If replaceable battery is paramount to you, the V20 is a good choice. Beyond that, IMO, it's a pretty lackluster phone. No water resistance, not very good battery life, so-so camera, no style appeal, no amoled screen, etc. That'd all be okay if it were priced accordingly, but at the same price range as the S7E, it's a no brainer for me.

Nostromo79

Mar 29, 2016
Visit site
I own and use both devices. I don't believe that my S7 Edge will last as long as my still-functioning Notes 3, 4 and 4 Edge. The battery drain on the Edge is a jagged, little pill and I don't want to mince about in an attempt to find the perfect blend of apps which won't anger my S7 Edge.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Neither. S7 Edge is undeniably better than the V20 in almost every category, but I would put the iPhone 7 Plus and the Pixel XL above both of them personally.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
If I had to make a choice paying full retail for a phone, I'd also say Neither. I think spec-wise the S7 Edge > V20 but my choice would be the OnePlus 3T. The specs are flagship solid and reviews show it to be a flagship performer with a clean UI, solid cameras and solid screen. Even though the Pixel may be the best Android experience and probably outperform the 3T, I just can't wrap my arms around it with the price tag.

Now if I could get any of those 3 phones for same price... S7 Edge for the better screen, camera, water resistance, design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSf45dufpg&t=337s

Neither. S7 Edge is undeniably better than the V20 in almost every category, but I would put the iPhone 7 Plus and the Pixel XL above both of them personally.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If I had to make a choice paying full retail for a phone, I'd also say Neither. I think spec-wise the S7 Edge > V20 but my choice would be the OnePlus 3T. The specs are flagship solid and reviews show it to be a flagship performer with a clean UI, solid cameras and solid screen. Even though the Pixel may be the best Android experience and probably outperform the 3T, I just can't wrap my arms around it with the price tag.

Now if I could get any of those 3 phones for same price... S7 Edge for the better screen, camera, water resistance, design.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJSf45dufpg&t=337s

I'd be willing to give it the nod for best value too

Blues Fan

Jun 21, 2015
Visit site
Pixel is a great phone, it runs smooth and great display but comes with a hefty price tag. Now if the next Pixel phone or whatever they call it comes out and it has better water resistance and micro SD slot and a always on type screen like the Galaxy or V20 I'd certainly give it a serious look for my next phone.

The Pixel is overpriced for what you get with it. The phone isn't a bad device, it simply doesn't offer enough features. If they can add these features they could give Samsung a run for their money. I would have given the Pixel XL a try though if they would have had micro SD slot and better water resistance but I'm not paying more $ than an S7 Edge just to get the latest Android and less features.

iOS Gravity

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Pixel is a great phone, it runs smooth and great display but comes with a hefty price tag. Now if the next Pixel phone or whatever they call it comes out and it has better water resistance and micro SD slot and a always on type screen like the Galaxy or V20 I'd certainly give it a serious look for my next phone.

The Pixel is overpriced for what you get with it. The phone isn't a bad device, it simply doesn't offer enough features. If they can add these features they could give Samsung a run for their money. I would have given the Pixel XL a try though if they would have had micro SD slot and better water resistance but I'm not paying more $ than an S7 Edge just to get the latest Android and less features.

Will it get water resistance? Probably. Will it get a micro sd slot? They haven't put it in a single phone for about 7 years, why start now?

Last edited: