Is restarting everyday bad?

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Every day when I charge my S7 Edge I also restart it. Is there any benefit in doing it this often, is it too often? Does this put any extra unneeded wear on my phone? Thx!

Last edited:

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello! I don't think it's bad to restart or power off your phone like that. Any kind of technological device you have should be shut off or rebooted every now and then; be they computers or phones. :)

Last edited:

Allen Brandt

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
I use the Samsung option to restart each week, early on Sunday mornings. If there were an option for twice weekly, I would do that, but I'm not sure there is any benefit to a daily restart

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Every day when I charge my S7 Edge I also restart it. Is there any benefit in doing it this often, is it too often? Does this put any extra unneeded wear on my phone? Thx!

I don't think there is a benefit to doing it that often. But it doesn't really put any additional wear on the phone. I think it will make the phone run a bit more slowly, as caches need to be rebuilt every time you restart. But if you don't mind that, you are fine.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there is a benefit to doing it that often. But it doesn't really put any additional wear on the phone. I think it will make the phone run a bit more slowly, as caches need to be rebuilt every time you restart. But if you don't mind that, you are fine.
I don't want to slow my phone down in any way. How often would you recommend a restart performance wise?

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

I don't want to slow my phone down in any way. How often would you recommend a restart performance wise?
Cach is not affected by rebooting your phone. Apps will reload into RAM when you open them, that's all. Nothing will change and rebooting daily should not slow your phone down.

edubb256

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Cach is not affected by rebooting your phone. Apps will reload into RAM when you open them, that's all. Nothing will change and rebooting daily should not slow your phone down.

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps I have been mistaking apps reloading into RAM as app caches being rebuilt(?). I notice that after a reboot, apps take longer to reload. For example, in the Gallery app, one of my albums has over a 1,000 photos. If I do not reboot, I can quickly scroll from top to bottom and all the thumbnails are preloaded. If I reboot and then load the Gallery app, the thumbnails are no longer preloaded, and I must scroll more slowly to see the thumbnails. There is similar behavior with other apps. For example, if I tap on the Messages app icon before rebooting, the app loads instantly, with thumbnails for contacts preloaded. If I reboot and then tap on the Messages icon. I loads more slowly and all the thumbnails for the contacts take time to appear. Also app states are lost on reboot.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Perhaps I have been mistaking apps reloading into RAM as app caches being rebuilt(?). I notice that after a reboot, apps take longer to reload. For example, in the Gallery app, one of my albums has over a 1,000 photos. If I do not reboot, I can quickly scroll from top to bottom and all the thumbnails are preloaded. If I reboot and then load the Gallery app, the thumbnails are no longer preloaded, and I must scroll more slowly to see the thumbnails. There is similar behavior with other apps. For example, if I tap on the Messages app icon before rebooting, the app loads instantly, with thumbnails for contacts preloaded. If I reboot and then tap on the Messages icon. I loads more slowly and all the thumbnails for the contacts take time to appear. Also app states are lost on reboot.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

I've noticed this as well. Everything on my S7 is very laggy for 30 seconds after the phone boots to the home screen

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed this as well. Everything on my S7 is very laggy for 30 seconds after the phone boots to the home screen

Well... that's normal. Keep in mind that these things are basically linux based computers... and there's a ton of stuff that loads in the background, even after the interactive session initializes. If you unlock it as soon as you can after booting, there are still system services loading and coming online.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site

Well... that's normal. Keep in mind that these things are basically linux based computers... and there's a ton of stuff that loads in the background, even after the interactive session initializes. If you unlock it as soon as you can after booting, there are still system services loading and coming online.
Yep, spot on. It will take few minutes after you get the phone rebooted and unlocked for background processes to fully finish loading.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

This makes a lot of sense. Thank you for this post!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Rebooting every day is neither good nor bad so long as you don't do it via an actual or simulated battery pull.

LineKill

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
So far I have not had any issues. I definitely have never had any problems where I needed to restart the phone .😁

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia