Help preparing for new SD card

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
So, I found out about the steps to create adoptable storage and I just ordered a 64gb SanDisk card from Amazon. I will be formatting the entire thing for adoptable storage.

I need some help with backing up my existing card, since I never had to before. I have apps stored on the SD card and I want to make sure that switching cards won't damage any apps. What would I need to do?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately it will. Once you go to 'adoptable storage', the phone won't 'see' the SD Card anymore, and for all intents and purposes, any apps you installed onto the SD card will not be recognized even if you have the same files in there (the phone just can't find them because it thinks the SD card is no longer there). If you really want to go that way, you'll need to move all your apps back to internal memory first and just back up your media files from SD card.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately it will. Once you go to 'adoptable storage', the phone won't 'see' the SD Card anymore, and for all intents and purposes, any apps you installed onto the SD card will not be recognized even if you have the same files in there (the phone just can't find them because it thinks the SD card is no longer there). If you really want to go that way, you'll need to move all your apps back to internal memory first and just back up your media files from SD card.

Okay, but if I don't, can I just reinstall them? As long as I backup a few files, I shouldn't have a problem.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, you can re-install them, but it will depend on the app if you can back up any progress files or if you'll have to start from scratch. Apps that don't support cloud saves, for instance, will encrypt progress files or might link them to a specific location, so even if you do copy the file, if it's not on the SD card, progress will still be lost. Again, it all depends on each app.

You can try using app back up tools like Titanium and see if those can help keep the whole thing backed up and then transferred to the newly enlarged internal memory.

Johnston212

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. Right now I'm more likely to throw my phone out the window. Several attempts to get debugging to work, thanks Internet people for never saying how you fixed it, and I followed all the commands

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21