03-13-2017 05:44 PM
58 123
tools
    Well, I didn't expect such a flurry of responses. From what I gather, you all feel like you've bought a great device,so I reckon I'll pull the trigger. One last question: any particular reason (besides the obvious screen size) you picked the Edge over the S7? I watched a video showing all the "edge" apps that facilitate one-handed use, but is that the appeal here? Thanks.
    Battery Life here to, along with the slightly larger display, but battery life was the main reason.
    01-10-2017 12:46 PM
    I did drop it pretty hard, cracking the screen... As I have insurance, I choose to get a new one... Went with the new blue one....

It's freaking gorgeous... 😍https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2017...489a765c8f.jpg
    I have had the blue for 2 months and simply love it. Best looking phone on the market no doubt.

And to OP. I picked up the S7 edge because of the bigger screen size.
    ToddK likes this.
    01-10-2017 08:14 PM
    One problem with the Edge is, without a case, your palm will unintentionally register a touch on the screen edges all the time. It is bad enough that I had to put on a case to protect the edges from my hands.
    01-10-2017 09:49 PM
    I prefer keeping my phone on my belt, and since I do occasionally drop my phone, I knew I was going to put it in a case.
    amyf27 likes this.
    01-10-2017 09:59 PM
    Hey scrondar!

Firstly, i don't think you will have any problems with the Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge. The reason you see people posting issues with the phone is because it's unlikely for someone to post "I'm perfectly happy with it, no problems" haha. From an aesthetics point of view, the infinity like display is really awesome to look at. Especially when playing videos at night. The phone literally looks borderless! Coming from a Galaxy S5 i think it will be a decent upgrade, especially in the camera department.

I also agree with you about the Micro SD card. If a phone does not have a slot for one, i won't but it. Its so so nice to put a 256GB card inside the phone and then allows you to record SO many more videos and take a billion photos lol
    01-10-2017 11:55 PM
    I've had the S7 edge and I loved it. I own the Pixel now. If it was a few months ago I'd happily recommend getting the S7 edge. But since the S8 is right around the corner, I can't.

I don't know if can wait or not. If you can, please do and get the S8. It is going to be massive upgrade as far as performance and hardware goes.

If you can't wait and if you absolutely need an SD card then S7 edge is the best option.

If you absolutely don't need an SD card then get the 128GB pixel. Why? Because you'll be getting an equally well rounded phone with performance which won't let you down for at least 2 years.

The S8 as I said will be a massive upgrade in terms of performance and probably will be right up there with the Pixel. And you'll be left with an early 2016 Samsung performer.

Pixel 128GB = future proof performer.
    Samsung S7 edge = absolutely present proof but not a future proof performer.

Best option = wait for the S8.
    01-11-2017 06:21 AM
    For me personally it was the size. I actually prefer a flat screen but cannot stand small phones. And also the only reason I have the edges because the Note 7 was recalled
    01-11-2017 07:00 AM
    I have had the blue for 2 months and simply love it. Best looking phone on the market no doubt.

And to OP. I picked up the S7 edge because of the bigger screen size.
    I have the coral blue one as well it actually looks pretty sharp with my black OtterBox Symmetry case
    Dngrsone and Lepa79 like this.
    01-11-2017 07:00 AM
    I switched my wife from an S7 to an S7 Edge... the battery performance on the smaller unit was pretty bad. She was constantly complaining that it was draining too fast and had to charge it so often. The larger lump in the Edge pushed her past the 'charge-a-day' threshold and she's been much happier with the device... well, other than the times when the whole network subsystem goes south and she has to reboot to clear it... but that might be a wonky SIM card (not sure yet).
    01-11-2017 09:28 AM
    I went from an S5 to an S7 Edge. I went with the Edge vs non-Edge purely for the increased battery life. That part has been fine, but if I had to do it again, I would get the non-Edge S7. While I like the extra Edge functionality, I'm not liking the curved screen. This is my 5th or 6th smartphone, and it's the only screen that I have cracked. IMO, something about the geometry and/or material of the curved screen makes it more prone to cracking. My low-profile case doesn't cover much of the edge, and I often get phantom input when picking the phone up. Ironically, I also have trouble with input being recognized at the edge of the screen (typing 'q' and 'p', for instance).
    01-11-2017 12:31 PM
    I have had an iPhone 6+, HTC 10, and S7E in the past year. The S7E is easily the best device with the most features of them all. However, I recommend immediately disabling all carrier apps immediately to prevent slowdowns and crashing, because those apps tend to be aggressive until you shut them down. My S7E had more crApps than any other device I've ever purchased and was sooooo slow the first couple hours I used it before I got it home and set it up properly. I have had zero lag at all since I set it up properly, which is shocking for me to say because I never ever liked Samsung software until the GS6. I schedule CCleaner Pro to wipe everything out at 3AM daily.

Edit: as everyone else has pointed out, the GS8s are gonna blow the 7s out of the water.

I have an Incipio dualpro(?) Case on my phone and have dropped it face down in concrete multiple times. I think with the edge screen it is purely luck, but my phone has survived like-new.
    01-11-2017 12:36 PM
    This is a great device and I highly recommend it. If I were to go Samsung, I'd get an Edge device, for sure.

Also, with regards to the posts you see: people are more likely /readier to post or talk about negative experiences with products, establishments, etc than they are to talk about positive experiences. I would not let them deter you from the phone if you really want it!

Good luck, and please let us know what you decide!
    01-11-2017 01:18 PM
    Huawei Mate 9. Just out, best phone in 7 years, and would have bought another Note.

Has SD card or two sims. Just started selling 6th in US. Comes with 7.0 nicely done.

Can't say enough, the reviews do. Just tad bit larger than iPhone Plus, massive battery. Flies.

B&H, Amazon, Newegg $599.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-11-2017 01:25 PM
    Huawei has the worst customer service. I own a Nexus 6P, which is made by Huawei. So I followed the 6P forums for a year or so, before getting my S7E. While it is a good phone and I never had any issues with it, I read horror story after horror story anytime anyone had to deal with Huawei directly. And I know you get some of that on forums like this. But I never read a single positive post about their customer service, which is unusual. If you do decide to get a Huawei device, get insurance through some other source, as you sure don't want to depend on Huawei for a good outcome.
    01-12-2017 07:59 AM
    Huawei Mate 9. Just out, best phone in 7 years, and would have bought another Note.

Has SD card or two sims. Just started selling 6th in US. Comes with 7.0 nicely done.

Can't say enough, the reviews do. Just tad bit larger than iPhone Plus, massive battery. Flies.

B&H, Amazon, Newegg $599.
    Newegg is awesome! And that's a pretty good deal!
    01-12-2017 09:43 AM
    A good side-by-side comparison here:

Samsung Galaxy S7 edge vs. Samsung Galaxy S7 - GSMArena.com

The screen size was the driver for me. The Edge also has a larger battery.
    These are compelling reasons, and I keep going back and forth. After watching a nauseating number of vids on the edge apps, I doubt I'd use them much. Coming from the (removable) S5 battery from with I get great daily life, the 3000 mAh battery in the S7 would be a step up, let alone 3600 mAH in the Edge. Going over to AT&T to fondle them one more time before I decide; as for waiting for the S8, why do have a feeling Samsung will step on their d*ck again a la the S6 and do something completely stupid, like allow only wireless charging? Hmmm, just a hunch.
    Dngrsone likes this.
    01-12-2017 03:54 PM
    I went for the S7 because the Edge thing seemed so gimmicky to me. I also heard reports of the edges being too easy to rest your palms on and make the rest of the screen unresponsive which would drive me crazy. Maybe the better battery life is enough to tempt you towards the Edge?
    01-12-2017 04:03 PM
    After handling both phones, the Edge feels a lot nicer in hand. I agree that the Edge software think is a bit gimmicky, and likely not very useful. The phone itself just feels heftier and of higher quality (to say nothing of a better battery and larger screen). While I'm leaning toward the Edge, I still haven't made up my mind, and probably won't for a day or so. BTW, while in the stores, I also handled the LG V20, and I gotta say, it too is a nice phone.Runs about the same price as the Samsung offerings, but it may take some getting used to the main button being on the back. Ah, so many choices...
    ToddK likes this.
    01-12-2017 11:22 PM
    After handling both phones, the Edge feels a lot nicer in hand. I agree that the Edge software think is a bit gimmicky, and likely not very useful. The phone itself just feels heftier and of higher quality (to say nothing of a better battery and larger screen).
    I found the same. I like the larger phone and the feel of the S7E in my hand. The only edge function I have active is for my favorite contacts, and that does come in handy.
    While I'm leaning toward the Edge, I still haven't made up my mind, and probably won't for a day or so. BTW, while in the stores, I also handled the LG V20, and I gotta say, it too is a nice phone.Runs about the same price as the Samsung offerings, but it may take some getting used to the main button being on the back. Ah, so many choices...
    The V20 is a nice phone, I'm sure. But it does not get the great reviews that the S7E does. It's a step below in a lot of ways, according to the reviews/comparisons I've read.
    01-13-2017 07:22 AM
    After handling both phones, the Edge feels a lot nicer in hand. I agree that the Edge software think is a bit gimmicky, and likely not very useful. The phone itself just feels heftier and of higher quality (to say nothing of a better battery and larger screen). While I'm leaning toward the Edge, I still haven't made up my mind, and probably won't for a day or so. BTW, while in the stores, I also handled the LG V20, and I gotta say, it too is a nice phone.Runs about the same price as the Samsung offerings, but it may take some getting used to the main button being on the back. Ah, so many choices...
    LG V20 is a lovely phone, built like a tank and still capable of allowing you to remove the battery.

It falls behind in terms of Water and Dust Resistance, it's Camera also is not as good as the S7E Camera, same with the Displays, the S7E has the better Display thanks to being AMOLED.

Where the V20 is better us that it has 64GB internal storage vs the S7E 32GB, the V20 also has the newer USB-C, and a UI that is closer to stock if you are a fan of Stock Android. The V20 also has the far better HiFi DAC for Audiophiles, it is the way to go if you are the sort of person who listens to high quality format music e.g. WAV.
    01-13-2017 01:38 PM
    These are compelling reasons, and I keep going back and forth. After watching a nauseating number of vids on the edge apps, I doubt I'd use them much. Coming from the (removable) S5 battery from with I get great daily life, the 3000 mAh battery in the S7 would be a step up, let alone 3600 mAH in the Edge. Going over to AT&T to fondle them one more time before I decide; as for waiting for the S8, why do have a feeling Samsung will step on their d*ck again a la the S6 and do something completely stupid, like allow only wireless charging? Hmmm, just a hunch.
    I wouldn't see them do something that dumb but something dumb like removing the micro SD slot again and going with no headphone jack or a smaller battery that has bad batter life like the S6 and Note 5 had.
    01-14-2017 12:23 PM
    Huawei has the worst customer service. I own a Nexus 6P, which is made by Huawei. So I followed the 6P forums for a year or so, before getting my S7E. While it is a good phone and I never had any issues with it, I read horror story after horror story anytime anyone had to deal with Huawei directly. And I know you get some of that on forums like this. But I never read a single positive post about their customer service, which is unusual. If you do decide to get a Huawei device, get insurance through some other source, as you sure don't want to depend on Huawei for a good outcome.
    That's the problem with going with lesser known companies. Huawei could become big and give Samsung, LG a run, but they just don't support their products that well and are not really known in the states. Also good luck finding accessories for the Huawei as I don't see any of the stores with their cases. Otterbox doesn't even make cases for them.

The Mate 9 looks sexy and has a great price but again lack of support and accessories is why I shy away from their phones.
    01-14-2017 01:22 PM
    Well, (and I know you are all on the edge -pun intended--of your seats. I bailed on T-Mobile and went with Verizon. They made me a trade in deal I couldn't refuse on my S5, so my monthly with be about the same, or less once the discount kicks in. Gotta love these store sales guys (and have you noticed, the vast majority of the sales types are male?Just an observation.) and their slick spiel; after a while I just stop listening.

So far I really like the phone, and may grow to love it once I get used to it. As good as it feels in hand, I gotta get a case for it. It is so slick (literally) and delicate looking, I fear one drop will put it down. So, I'll order a good Spigen or Caseology (sorry Otterbox fans, I can't hide my new phone in one of those, especially at that price.) case for it, and admire it's gorgeous looks for now. And yeah, as noted, the only edge function I've found useful so far is contacts. Still, only on my second day. Thanks for all the replies. Mission accomplished!
    Dngrsone and jejb like this.
    01-14-2017 01:38 PM
    If true, it looks like we are getting no flat screen large version of the S8, but getting an S8 edge instead. Besides no physical home button it doesn't look a ton different than the S7edge and it still has those nasty edges on the sides. They should have made the edges like the Note 7.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/galaxy-s8-153000608.html
    01-14-2017 01:39 PM
    Well, (and I know you are all on the edge -pun intended--of your seats. I bailed on T-Mobile and went with Verizon. They made me a trade in deal I couldn't refuse on my S5, so my monthly with be about the same, or less once the discount kicks in. Gotta love these store sales guys (and have you noticed, the vast majority of the sales types are male?Just an observation.) and their slick spiel; after a while I just stop listening.

So far I really like the phone, and may grow to love it once I get used to it. As good as it feels in hand, I gotta get a case for it. It is so slick (literally) and delicate looking, I fear one drop will put it down. So, I'll order a good Spigen or Caseology (sorry Otterbox fans, I can't hide my new phone in one of those, especially at that price.) case for it, and admire it's gorgeous looks for now. And yeah, as noted, the only edge function I've found useful so far is contacts. Still, only on my second day. Thanks for all the replies. Mission accomplished!
    Good for you and good luck with it. I put a Caseology case on mine and really like it.
    01-14-2017 01:45 PM
58 123