01-24-2017 07:26 PM
72 123
tools
    Thanks to the folks over at xda, you don't have to wait for the OTA as 7.0 can be pulled from their test servers. I downloaded it this afternoon, updated and on it now.
    Does a person need to Root to do that and does it trip Knox ?
    01-20-2017 02:13 AM
    Does a person need to Root to do that and does it trip Knox ?
    No root necessary. I can't tell you for sure if it will trip KNOX because I don't use my device for work. (Isn't KNOX on a separate partition or something like that?)

Just a few tips (they're listed over at XDA as well). If you're going to install Nougat via ADB, you'll need to make sure the Samsung usb device drivers are being used and not the generic windows ones. Once you get your device connected and ADB is communicating with it, all you have to do is type in a command and let it do the rest. 30-40 minutes is what it takes.
    01-20-2017 07:22 AM
    So it's been pretty stable so far ? I may try to update mine over the weekend.
    So far so good.

What I've noticed so far:
    WiFi calling isn't quite sorted out yet. (Please try activating wifi calling later)
    Icon Packs are enabled in the Galaxy App store
    There is some little cat icon with ???? in the pull down menu. He also appears while swiping the Nougat logo under system information.
    I'm really diggin the performance optimizer which lets you know you if you are getting best battery life possible.
    Device performance is very snappy
    01-20-2017 07:31 AM
    If it was happening, we would never know. Money makes people do crazy things. I did say this is my conspiracy thinking
    I too think that there are some inner workings between a carrier and manufacturer (not so much Google) to make customers want to upgrade after 2 years. Will they sabotage the OS, force bloatware, degrade battery performance through updating? I don't think so.

Its more of like, S7 releases in 2016 with 2015 Marshmallow. Nougat released to manufacturers in 2016, with a S7 update to Nougat in 2017. The cycle repeats, with the S8. In 2018, which is year 2 for the S7, Oreo or whatever the next OS arrives.

Its the nature of the industry, to make such great improvements, that yesterday's devices are no longer the cream of the crop. They'll still work, but AT&T and Samsung don't want people using devices that are paid off after 2 years which is probably why they say 2 years guaranteed updates.
    01-20-2017 08:19 AM
    So far so good.

What I've noticed so far:
    WiFi calling isn't quite sorted out yet. (Please try activating wifi calling later)
    Icon Packs are enabled in the Galaxy App store
    There is some little cat icon with ???? in the pull down menu. He also appears while swiping the Nougat logo under system information.
    I'm really diggin the performance optimizer which lets you know you if you are getting best battery life possible.
    Device performance is very snappy
    Thanks. I probably won't use the wifi calling, but I am looking forward to getting the performance optimizer and the better aod with third party notifications back.those are two things I missed from the note 7 .
    01-20-2017 10:08 AM
    Just checking back in on the thread.

Re: Battery life..

I've been off the charger for about 35 minutes streaming Google Play over mobile network using Bluetooth headphones w/ AOD off. Battery reads 99%.
    Alanhd and sweetypie31 like this.
    01-20-2017 11:31 AM
    Does anyone know when the Duos version will get the update? Still nothing...
    01-21-2017 01:13 AM
    Got it on my S7E yesterday via Vodafone in the U.K. All is fine so far.
    01-21-2017 04:31 AM
    Does anyone know when the Duos version will get the update? Still nothing...
    I have the Duos version as well, we get it last unfortunately, like I was stuck on the August security patch for 3 months until it was finally updated in December
    01-21-2017 05:48 AM
    Final released, gonna install this now: https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/...FOXA1DPLT_BTU/

Installed:

Law2138 likes this.
    01-21-2017 05:55 AM
    the settings menu is revamped

now you can set a lower resolution to improve battery life and it doesn't look any worse to my eyes because it's only a phone screen after all

battery optimization modes, normal, gaming, optimized which is a balance between performance/battery life

too many improvements to list

also the icons are now all rounded

you can also set an option to hold the home key button to quickly speak out a contact name rather than have the useless Google Now feature

new feature, now when you get an SMS notification, you can mark it as read or reply from within the notification

in the past, if you clear the notification, you still had to go to the SMS app and click on it to mark it as read. double work now fixed
    anon(8481482) likes this.
    01-21-2017 07:02 AM
    I already received the OTA on my DUOS phone like 8 hours ago.
    Snappy Phoenix likes this.
    01-24-2017 12:02 AM
    Where r u at?
    01-24-2017 02:03 AM
    I'm currently living in Mexico. But my phone is a Duos Version and from the Emirates.
    01-24-2017 11:28 AM
    I'm currently living in Mexico. But my phone is a Duos Version and from the Emirates.
    I was actually surprised to see the OTA drop in so early for the Duos variants. Remember we were stuck on the August Security Patch for 3 months when all others were enjoying monthly updates.

Battery life is great after setting the resolution to HD, I'm on day 2 now with 50% left
    01-24-2017 12:23 PM
    Most are saying by March or sooner now.. hopefully sooner.
    01-24-2017 12:37 PM
    I was actually surprised to see the OTA drop in so early for the Duos variants. Remember we were stuck on the August Security Patch for 3 months when all others were enjoying monthly updates.

Battery life is great after setting the resolution to HD, I'm on day 2 now with 50% left
    I wasn't aware of that. I bought mine on October, because of being one of the Note7 buyers. I got stuck on the S7 Edge (as I thought at the beginning), but I'm pretty happy right now. The S7 Edge is an amazing phone. And 7.0 Nougat runs great on the S7 Edge. I'm loving having Grace UI again. I'm using FHD resolution, and it lasts all day long. Even with AOD on.
    01-24-2017 12:45 PM
    I wasn't aware of that. I bought mine on October, because of being one of the Note7 buyers. I got stuck on the S7 Edge (as I thought at the beginning), but I'm pretty happy right now. The S7 Edge is an amazing phone. And 7.0 Nougat runs great on the S7 Edge. I'm loving having Grace UI again. I'm using FHD resolution, and it lasts all day long. Even with AOD on.
    I am running with the HD resolution on my Galaxy S7 (not edge) and now I'm on my 2nd day with 50% battery left

you won't notice a difference in the screen as it's just a mobile device but the battery life is insane, this is the best feature of Nougat
    01-24-2017 12:57 PM
    I am running with the HD resolution on my Galaxy S7 (not edge) and now I'm on my 2nd day with 50% battery left

you won't notice a difference in the screen as it's just a mobile device but the battery life is insane, this is the best feature of Nougat
    Yes. That's an amazing feat. I'm also enjoying the My Knox app. I would have preferred the Secure Folder back... xD But they do pretty much the same.
    01-24-2017 01:24 PM
    Yes. That's an amazing feat. I'm also enjoying the My Knox app. I would have preferred the Secure Folder back... xD But they do pretty much the same.
    A user on another forum said:

How does lowering resolution save battery life? It's still lighting all the pixels
    so I replied to him:

don't ask me but it gives massive battery life improvement.
    what do you think of what he said?
    01-24-2017 04:58 PM
    A user on another forum said:

so I replied to him:

what do you think of what he said?
    "It's still lighting all the pixels"? So lowering the resolution reduces the pixel size, not reduces the number of pixels illuminated ... Interesting science at play there. He might want to rethink his response.
    01-24-2017 05:23 PM
    Got OTA yesterday on G935F, UAE firmware that I flashed to from Panama firmware.
    Attached Thumbnails SOLID Information on Samsung Galaxy S7 / S7 Edge Nougat Update???-10736.jpg  
    01-24-2017 07:26 PM
72 123