S7 Nougat update postponed

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
i don't understand whats going on, If they are still in Beta how come no one else ha seen this beta version.
Samsung should man up and let people know whats going on.

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The fact it's been nearly 5 months since Nougat was released is a joke. How can it take that long to configure an update, test it, and release?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
If true Apple will be laughing their heads off. The upgrade process with having so many parties involved is an absolute joke.

There are tens of millions of S7 and S7Edge phones in the world. Very few people care or even know about upgrades. Only those of us that are deep into the tech even know this is going on. Even less would ever make a buying decision on the speed of updates. I doubt Apple is laughing their heads off since it doesn't affect sales of Samsung products in the least.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
The fact it's been nearly 5 months since Nougat was released is a joke. How can it take that long to configure an update, test it, and release?

The carriers make a lot of changes. For example, the settings pages on Verizon look different than they do on other carriers. It's a lot of work to make these changes. Most of Verizon's "top" developers are working on new phones and updates to existing phones gets relegated to "maintenance" developers as producing an update to an existing phone has little revenue producing impact.

As a manager of a pretty large development group myself we focus primarily on revenue producing projects and fit in non-rev and infrastructure tasks when time permits. It's just the way it is.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I think this only affects China. Maybe you forget but that country puts spying on the population a priority. Maybe they forced Samsung to add it in firmware level.

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
The carriers make a lot of changes. For example, the settings pages on Verizon look different than they do on other carriers. It's a lot of work to make these changes. Most of Verizon's "top" developers are working on new phones and updates to existing phones gets relegated to "maintenance" developers as producing an update to an existing phone has little revenue producing impact.

I'm on EE, and as far as I'm aware, carriers in the UK don't lock down and add nearly as much bloatware (next to none) as US carriers do so that really shouldn't be an issue here. And even if it was, 5 months still is an awfully long time.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
There are tens of millions of S7 and S7Edge phones in the world. Very few people care or even know about upgrades. Only those of us that are deep into the tech even know this is going on. Even less would ever make a buying decision on the speed of updates. I doubt Apple is laughing their heads off since it doesn't affect sales of Samsung products in the least.

Or they're like my wife - "Why is there an update? It's running fine right now and every time they update they screw something up or make it look different! I hate updates!!!".

Mark8768

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Normally I would agree with the" so what" crowd but after the Note 7 debacle you would think Samsung and yes even carriers like Verizon would work to get S7/S7 Edge the update.

I have a ton of $ invested in those phones at work and the events of the past few months are making me rethink Samsung long term. Come on Samsung get the lead out ...fix the bugs and push the bloody update !:mad:

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
This is why I had to send back the s7e and get the pixel. IMO, Sammy makes the best phones but they insist on continually shooting themselves in the foot by dragging out these updates. They also need to stop allowing service providers from interfering with the updates. But most people don't care about updates unfortunately and once Sammy releases a phone into the wild they kind of forget about it.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
The article mentions that it is happening in China. It doesn't say it will affect anywhere else.

Samsung rolled out the official Android 7.0 Nougat update to Galaxy S7 and S7 Edge device last week, but as per recent reports from China, it seems like the rollout is being halted and another beta release with build number G9350ZCU2ZQA4 is being released to Galaxy S7 Edge devices in the country.

shaleem

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Is Nougat going to be a sea change of an update? Or, as I suspect, the usual update with a few tweaks to the current OS. Speaking only for myself, I don't think it's that big a deal.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
Plus I just got a big update for something on Sprint. I can't install it right now because my phone is at 12% lol. Once I'm charged I'll install it. But it's not a security patch.

sparksd

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Plus I just got a big update for something on Sprint. I can't install it right now because my phone is at 12% lol. Once I'm charged I'll install it. But it's not a security patch.

Said it was security update, LTE and WiFi performance improvements, bug fixes. I can't see any difference after installing it today.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Define big. My December security patch was 300mb. Based on experience, an OS update like Nougat will not be smaller than 1GB.

WingLT

Dec 19, 2015
Visit site
I started the install. It didn't say it was a security patch like it normally would. The install screen looks different. Blue screen and now it's saying system upgrading. Normally it would say updating... Big difference right there. If it's not 7.0 then I'll be disappointed.