S7 Nougat update postponed

jhousden9

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I'm on an EE contract bought through Carphone Warehouse and my phone says it's XEU. Does that mean I'm unlikely to get the update or just have wait longer for EE to sort their lives out?

Hobson123

Jun 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm on an EE contract bought through Carphone Warehouse and my phone says it's XEU. Does that mean I'm unlikely to get the update or just have wait longer for EE to sort their lives out?
I bought my phone from Carphone Warehouse too and mine is XEU. No sign of update for me.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site

what's XEU? please post your device model number from the About section

also, is it unlocked or locked?

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
XEU is unlocked carrier versions in the UK. as to when we will get the update, who knows. I have noticed that it is often behind BTU in normal updates
I went to edit my original post but it wouldn't save. I meant to say it is unlocked UK phones purchased through carriers.

I too have XEU and purchased via carphone warehouse.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I was using the iPhone 7 Plus for the last several months and I'm really glad I'm back to using my S7 edge because I really missed the customization of Android. Sure, the iPhone 7 Plus was a great phone, but the S7 edge is still better despite being ~six months older than the 7+. There were just way too many features I missed on Samsung (Samsung Pay, wireless charging, Android customizztion, etc. etc. etc.).

The reasons you mention are why I was so shocked when you were saying the iPhone 7 Plus is the best phone on the market hands down but yet you like those features. Made no sense to me lol :p.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
The reasons you mention are why I was so shocked when you were saying the iPhone 7 Plus is the best phone on the market hands down but yet you like those features. Made no sense to me lol :p.

Smartphones overall have gotten so good that my new saying is, the best smartphone in the world is the one you're currently using.

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Smartphones overall have gotten so good that my new saying is, the best smartphone in the world is the one you're currently using.

Without wanting to take this thread off topic, as someone who grew up watching the original star trek series, I still think its amazing how far and fast technology has gone, now all I need is transporter to get to work.

Daniel Barrett

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Up until now, I always used both iPhone and Samsung Galaxy S series. The S7 Edge will by my last Samsung phone.Moving forward, it's so long Samsung and I will be sticking with ONLY iPhones and Google Pixel. This waiting 5 months for the latest update is for the birds. At this point, it's no longer the latest update.
I get what you're saying, but Apple updates once a year as well you're getting less in the same interval on a device you can do less on. And you're stuck with an iPhone. I understand your point, though it just would never be enough to make me go to Apple. The Pixel I can't argue with because I haven't used one, but I just like Android so I wouldn't necessarily say it would be a horrible option

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
And the Apple update situation isn't perfect either. How many times have we heard of updates that nearly ruin their phones, and then they have to patch it with yet another update? Their updates can be buggy AF.

bandofbrothers2112

Trusted Member
May 30, 2016
Visit site
Just read a thread that BTU come direct from Samsung and XEU is unlocked carrier editions. I got mine from the Samsung experience shop in Liverpool but I didn't realise that this was owned and run by carphone warehouse. They have miniscule signs stating this.

Bought mine from the Leeds Samsung Experience Store.

I was aware they are run under the Carphone Warehouse banner.

Is yours a BTU ?

FrankInSF

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
On page one of this thread is a mention of a Sprint S7 update that is not for Nougat. Here are its details.

Sprint's update page for the S7 lists this patch as released on 1/16/2017. Version G930PVPU4APL6. My Sprint S7 phone had Android 6.0.1 before the update and still has 6.0.1 after. My phone had Android security patch level November 1, 2016 before the update and December 1, 2016 after.

It says on the Software Update screen of my Sprint S7 phone before updating:
Version: G930PVPU4APL6 / G930PSPT4APL6 / G930PVPU4APL6
Size: 495.04 MB

What's new:
Removed new application: Milk Music.
The performance of LTE has been improved. (Maybe this supports 3-carrier aggregation?)
The stability of Wi-Fi has been improved.
The stability of Hotspot has been improved.
The security of your device has been improved.

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I was trying to convince myself of the worth of the $1,039 price tag of the iPhone 7 Plus 256GB.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
If true, I'll move to Apple iphone next September.

That's an odd statement. What is it in updates that makes people so emotional? While it would be interesting to get the Nougat update there's nothing compelling there that makes me yearn for it. And going to Apple? Really? So getting an update is more important than having a superior product? I don't get it. Makes no logical sense.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
XEU is unlocked carrier versions in the UK. as to when we will get the update, who knows. I have noticed that it is often behind BTU in normal updates

then you will get the update. unfortunately, you and I will be the last to get it. kinda ironic how an unlocked device now received updates slower than the carrier branded ones. never been like this in the past, it was the other way round

I remember I wast stuck on the August Security patch until November until I got the update while others have been enjoying monthly updates in the 2nd half of each month

Alanhd

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
then you will get the update. unfortunately, you and I will be the last to get it. kinda ironic how an unlocked device now received updates slower than the carrier branded ones. never been like this in the past, it was the other way round

I remember I wast stuck on the August Security patch until November until I got the update while others have been enjoying monthly updates in the 2nd half of each month
Ironic is spot on, I wouldn't mind waiting if Samsung would publish a timetable of when each CSC would start to get the update, Its the uncertainty that's a killer.
I keep getting an image of someone at Samsung tossing a coin to see who gets the release that day.

Snappy Phoenix

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
Ironic is spot on, I wouldn't mind waiting if Samsung would publish a timetable of when each CSC would start to get the update, Its the uncertainty that's a killer.
I keep getting an image of someone at Samsung tossing a coin to see who gets the release that day.

that's what I hate man, I keep checking at least 20 times a day for the update especially everytime I see some member say that he just received it! I hate this! I hate iOS so much but I love that when an update is out, everyone gets it.

Heck even on my previous Nexus 6P the updates were rolled out in waves and I was the last to get the update so having a stock Android device while better, doesn't solve this completely